• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade Ice Pops

Knicke

I just got a set of the Tupperware molds - we used to have them when I was a kid, and much as I like storebought novelty concoctions of all kinds, I like the homemade kind better ('cause you can pick your own flavors). I've moved way beyond the frozen Kool-Aid stage, and plain ol' juice blends are well and good (and homemade pudding pops are to die for), but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I think most granita recipes would probably work well as popsicles.

So far I've made batches of honeydew/mint (pretty good), balsamic strawberry (really good!), and two-tone raspberry/plain lemonade (alright). Chocolate-mint pudding pops also (these were quite good as well).

Any other ideas?

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

We generally make them with sliced strawberries and strawberry yogurt. The kids eat them like mad.

If my children weren't such little dictators I'd try gingerale peach, with chopped candied ginger.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Oooh, how purty, Petite! I'm going to have to try that if I'm ever in need of elegant-looking pops...

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

Pineapple juice and coconut milk... pina colada sort of.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

...Chocolate-mint pudding pops also (these were quite good as well).

Any other ideas?

I make mango/cream pops for my munchkin but I would love to know how to make chocolate mint pudding pops for her. Care to share your method/recipe? :smile:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, I just made choc. pudding and then added a few drops of natural mint extract. Really, it's not very fancy - just tasty!

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

Anna, I just made choc. pudding and then added a few drops of natural mint extract. Really, it's not very fancy - just tasty!

Thank you. I will give it a try.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 6 years later...

(Necroed)

Anyone have tips for making fruit-based (no dairy or fatty substitutes like coconut milk) ice pops less icy and crunchy without using corn syrup or gelatin? I'm experimenting with adding some jelly to my mixture at the moment in hopes that the pectin and sugar content will help. Another possibility I've thought about is prefreezing my pop mixture into a slush, blending it to break up the larger ice crystals, and freexing in the molds, but it seems like that will add a lot of labor. I'd prefer to just pour and freeze.