• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lettonie has closed

The caterer has reported that 2 Michelin star restaurant Lettonie in Bath has closed. Reasons seem a bit sketchy, but

lack of advance bookings from America have had a role to play apparently. Just goes to show what a precarious business haute cuisine is. Martin Blunos has not announced his future plans as yet.

thats so bloody sad. my one meal there was heaven in itself... although it was a wednesday night in february, martin blunos only had 3 COVERS that night so its not a massive surprise.

But its his home too with his wife and 3 kids.. so whats happening??? surely theyre not moving out.. i called dukes in bath where he is associate chef (bollocks) and they said he MAY reopen in afew months or find another site.

does that mean when he re opens he will lose his 2 michelin stars?? this is awful just because of 4 men behind the wheels of a plane. so sad.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I don't think that "four men" were the only reason for the closing...have you heard of a little thing called Foot and Mouth disease? It has DECIMATED the UK tourism industry - both local and international. You said there were only three covers in February...you had your preview of the dire situation that many restaurants outside London are in right there. In the long run, it will have far more impact than terrorism. Not to mention all the other problems the UK is experiencing, such as major issues with the rail travel infrastructure, and a low-grade recession threatening to go higher grade...

• 3 months later...

For a matter of fact martin blunos IS the consulting chef for fitzroys restaurant in bath, i should know, i work with him, he has closed lettonie and now works in another restaurant called blinis in bath on the lower floor of a 3 floor building the top ground floor being devoted to a deli, middle floor is the restaurant and the basement is the kitchen! which is also where i work, under the management of the company who also owns fitzroys and dukes hotel in bath. he maintains his two michelin stars and works to up to 35 covers in the current restaurant. any further questions?

Seb,

Is that short for sebum? I feel your pain but if you're putting us right,... well put us right!

You sound like a rapist!

Obviously Michelin stars don't carry over, so, what is happening in the basement?

Put on boxing gloves and sit on your hands, and, if you can manage it, orient yourself as to where the shift key is on your keyboard.

I kiss your squid.  

Thanks for that one Seb and welcome to the boards (excuse me for nicking Andy's job here :-) ) - always good to see a new face!

Good to know Mr. Blunos is still in business - I managed to get to the (new) Lettonie in 2000 and had an excellent lunch.

So what is the new place like? Is he basically cooking the same stuff as before? How many covers are there compared to the old place? And, of course, can we still get the scrambled duck egg?

cheerio

Jon

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

lml, what the #### are you on about!!! i am in no pain, the restaurant DOES have the stars still because it is the standard of the chef and his cuisine not the restaurant. n e way guys, thank you for the warm welcome and hope you are all cool, i think that lml should see a phsycotherapist as he obviously has some inner problem. where did that 'rapist' thing come from? not meaning to bitch please dont get me wrong i just find it offensive to be told that what i have observed over the past two months working there is stated as utter twoddle by someone who has probably just read up a review of the situtation in context and decided to grab the proverbial cat by the proverbial tail and swing him round at great speed to ensure everyone can see or hear!!!

if anybody want any other info about the restaurant (within reason of buisness integrity) i will be happy to give a helping hand :-), speak to you all soon, seb  

Seb, I rather think there has been a case of mistaken identity. A very good friend has worked closely in the past with Blunos and I connected your username with my pal. Putting two and two together I came up 17.5. I realise this as I spoke to the aforementioned this afternoon.

As any of the other posters will tell you this is quite out of character for me. I hope you will permit me to remove my foot from wherever I may have put it.