• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to go if..

JPW

Have a softball game on the mall tonight. (Northwestern Univ alumni team - Go Cats!)

We usually retire to the Bottom Line (dive bar on I between 17th and 18th) for post-game burgers and beer. Frankly, the burgers suck, the fries suck, the beer special they give us as a league sponsor is pitchers of Miller Lite for $7 instead of $9 (maybe I should call it the water special). However, the wings are acceptable.

I don't make it in from the wilds of SS too often and when I do, I want something a little better than a repurposed BK burger.

But where else in town will take me when I look (and smell) like I just finished a long stretch on a road gang?

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

There are a lot of softball games on the mall so I think a lot of places here are used to post-game drinkers. On the House side of Capitol Hill you could easily go to Tune Inn, My Brothers Place, Politiki, or Hawk and Dove. On the Senate side, Cap City or Irish Times. If you are playing closer to the Washington Monument, try the back bar at Old Ebbitt.

There are a lot of softball games on the mall so I think a lot of places here are used to post-game drinkers. On the House side of Capitol Hill you could easily go to Tune Inn, My Brothers Place, Politiki, or Hawk and Dove. On the Senate side, Cap City or Irish Times. If you are playing closer to the Washington Monument, try the back bar at Old Ebbitt.

I don't really think any of these places would be up for this... :blink:

Lindy's or The Froggy Bottom pub. There's always one team or other in Froggy about a third of the time I'm there, plus you can always hide out in the basement bar area if you prefer. What days we talking here? They have good beer specials Thursday ($2 Sam Adam's Seasonals and regulars) and...tuesday ($2 Widmer and Red Hook IIRC) I think, and half price pizza (ALL pizza, as far as I've ever been able to go with it!) monday. Don't know anything about pitcher specials. They have a different special every day. Get the chicken fingers. Good luck getting malt vinegar, though. Froggy is on Penn and 22nd.

Ah, here we go, from our friends at On Tap. Yep, couple pitches specials in there, and free pizza for an hour on Friday!

Probably a few places in the "Golden Triangle", lower Dupont area. Recessions, Black Rooster, Mackeys, Madhatter. Can't speak much to the food or drink, though. Just hit them on this stupid 'bar crawl' some friends dragged along on. They seemed pretty dismal, so I'm sure a sports team would be alright.

-- C.S.

"No, the malt vinegar...that's oil and vinegar. Look, it's over by the taps." Every. Time.

Edited by Chef Shogun (log)

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

There are a lot of softball games on the mall so I think a lot of places here are used to post-game drinkers.  On the House side of Capitol Hill you could easily go to Tune Inn, My Brothers Place, Politiki, or Hawk and Dove.  On the Senate side, Cap City or Irish Times.  If you are playing closer to the Washington Monument, try the back bar at Old Ebbitt.

They are when the softball team from my office goes. We've never had a problem. Hill types mingling with the kickball and softball teams. They are oftern from the same offices.

There are a lot of softball games on the mall so I think a lot of places here are used to post-game drinkers.  On the House side of Capitol Hill you could easily go to Tune Inn, My Brothers Place, Politiki, or Hawk and Dove.  On the Senate side, Cap City or Irish Times.  If you are playing closer to the Washington Monument, try the back bar at Old Ebbitt.

They are when the softball team from my office goes. We've never had a problem. Hill types mingling with the kickball and softball teams. They are oftern from the same offices.

Now I think I live on a different Hill...

There was a place next door to The Flying Scotsman (called "My Brother's Place" or something?) that had a bunch of softball players there when I walked by a couple of weeks ago.

The Flying Scotsman would take you in too, but don't get your hopes up for high-quality fare. A good grilled cheese, bacon and tomato sandwich comes with, blah, frozen fries. The famed Scott Cheggs are okay, but not all that.

I hope your softball team fares better than your football team. :raz:

Our games are near the Washington Monument. So the Cap Hill ones are probably out. Politiki is a fave though. Especially since I can occasionally be found downstairs at the Pittsburgh bar during football season eating kielbasa and drinking the worst beer ever made -- Iron City.

At one point in time I've abused my liver in most of these establishments. In my younger days I got kicked out of Madhatter at least once (that I can recall that is). Uniformly the food is BLECH.

Just about all of these dives are filled with superannuated, often self-delusional athletes during the summer. I was hoping against hope that I could find a non-bar place where I could escape them and tuck into something good.

Maybe I can talk Zaytinya into setting up a table across the street at the library for me. That way I'll fit right in with the "parking attendants" that live there. I'll even buy them a round or two.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Now I think I live on a different Hill...

There are always tons of softball teams on those two blocks this time of year. When the weather is nice the outside tables fill up early though.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

There was a place next door to The Flying Scotsman (called "My Brother's Place" or something?) that had a bunch of softball players there when I walked by a couple of weeks ago.

The Flying Scotsman would take you in too, but don't get your hopes up for high-quality fare. A good grilled cheese, bacon and tomato sandwich comes with, blah, frozen fries. The famed Scott Cheggs are okay, but not all that.

I hope your softball team fares better than your football team. :raz:

Don't know if people still hang it, but I was there in the late eighties/early nineties and my favorite banner at the unfortunately named Dyche (pronounced with a hard k) Stadium said --

"At least our football players can read!"

Joe W

Just about all of these dives are filled with superannuated, often self-delusional athletes during the summer. I was hoping against hope that I could find a non-bar place where I could escape them and tuck into something good.

Oooh, actually good places. That said, those chicken fingers are great! Good pizza, too. Lets see...the Thai place (Thai Place) on the block with Froggy could probably deal, and they're pretty good. No worthwhile happy hour-style specials, though. Thai doesn't seem like an after-sports food, though. I say 'probably' deal...though the students are gone, so they're probably dying for business more than usual, and a dozen people showing up for dinner would be fine, no matter how they looked or smelled.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

I was hoping against hope that I could find a non-bar place where I could escape them and tuck into something good.

Maybe I can talk Zaytinya into setting up a table across the street at the library for me. That way I'll fit right in with the "parking attendants" that live there. I'll even buy them a round or two.

OK- now I understand. I think you are on to something with outdoor seating. I mean, you are already sweaty and have been outdoors so you don't really need air conditioning. In addition to Zaytinya, in this area with outdoor seating you've got Jaleo, Austin Grille, Les Halles.

I'd second trying something like the outside of Jaleo. If people give you dirty looks ... meh, who cares. I run in the kickball crowd and know that after a game all I'm going to get is a nice, greasy burger or chicken sandwich at the Exchange, and that's just fine for soaking up the beer.

GO CATS!!!!

CAS '96

I say go someplace on the waterfront. One of the Mexican places on the water has to be satisfying. Never been to Cabanas and never been to Cantina Marina, but who's heard of a snobby Mexican joint? And what's better than beers/margs and cheesy, beany, meaty mess when ya need it? Austin Grill works.