• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gentleman Jack

trillium

I just had to share this because it's been cracking me up. There is a bit in this month's Saveur on Marcella's 80th birthday party her son threw for her. It mentiones all the food luminaries and the great wines everyone was drinking, but then it says that Marcella wasn't drinking any wine, she just stuck to Gentleman Jack throughout the evening. A woman after my own heart (although I wouldn't have passed up the wines)....

regards,

trillium

Jack aficionados are a fiercely loyal bunch. My former boss drank Jack and only Jack. If she was in a mischevious mood, she'd have me pour two shots -- one for her and one for me. (gulp)

She drank it neat with a coke or bottled water back.

However she wasn't really big on Gentleman Jack....

Gentleman Jack is good stuff. A bit mellower than the regular Jack Daniels because it's charcoal filtered twice. I think it makes an outstanding Manhattan.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

she just stuck to Gentleman Jack throughout the evening. A woman after my own heart (although I wouldn't have passed up the wines)....

i ran into a gent in Oregon this weekend who shared a tale of running into Marcella at a book signing, or perhaps in a supermarket. (we were a lot of pinot noir down the river, so the memory is a bit hazy.)

he accosted her, told her he was a huge fan, &c. so they went to the bar next door, where she promptly ordered up several Jack Daniels. not quite Gentleman Jack, but one drinks what one can find.