• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

It's Hotter Than Hell

Basilgirl

Fresh strawberries covered with heavy cream accompanied by a rye or pumpernickle sandwich with swiss cheese and butter or mustard.

Diced cucumbers, onions, radishes, green or red peppers, in sour cream or yogurt and lots of salt. Rye or pumpernickle with butter.

Yeah Yeah It's Hot. Whatever. :hmmm::laugh:

My central AC conked out over night and will be out til the repair guy shows up on Monday. I'm already missing my kitchen due to self inflicted damage caused by temporary insanity. So EVERYTHING is getting cooked outside on two burniers on the side of a grill or on a brick pit.

Tonight is boiled shrimp with fresh corn and some asparagus thrown in for just a minute. Last night was Gazpaco with some ceviche style shrimp and a big salad. MMM. Had mint sherbert for dessert. Nice and cooling.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I pan sear trout fillets: takes all of 5 minutes, turn off the heat and let them continue to cook, covered.

Meanwhile, I throw a handful of field greens on a plate, sprinkle some leftover whatever from the fridge ( lentils, peas, sunflower seeds...) over it, slice a tomato or avocado, put the fish on top, top that with store-bought mango papaya kiwi salsa...and dinner is served.

Not only tasty, but also meets our current diet criteria!!

one of my favorite dishes is a quinoa mango red-bell-pepper curry that I found on epicurious

It's great cold and is still filling with great taste peaks from the mango, mint and curry

-MJR

I made this the other day, it really is very good. Thanks for mentioning it, I had been looking for some good quinoa recipes.

:blink: My wife does some kind of strange North Eastern dish of strawberries & sour cream.

Personally my favorite dish Seared Salmon over cucumber salad with Japanese Chili oil drizzled on it. Simple to make and very tasty.

Never trust a skinny chef

Cold soups! Tabbouleh. Cold Chinese or Thai Green Curry. Sliced vegetables with nothing but some good vinaigrette. Raita alongside.

Cucumbers and onions in a pickle. And ditto on the hot foods. Workin' up a sweat in the heat is good for you.

I like to make Pomodori Crudi (an uncooked sauce for angel hair pasta). I make it with dead ripe tomatoes from the garden, EVO, garlic, lots of fresh basil, a touch of fersh oregano, cubes of fresh mozzerella and a splash of balsamic.

I also make quinoa tabuleh with lots of fresh mint and serve Raita on the side.

BLT sandwiches show up alot in the heat (during peak tomato season).

Often I'll have several ears of fresh corn and several sliced tomatoes period.