• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[SEA] Ponti's Seafood Grill

I've had some really good meals there, a seared ahi steak stands out in my memory. I've also had a couple dishes that were just OK. Overall, I like Ponti.

I believe that LEdlund, however, may have a different opinion on the subject.... :wink:

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

OK, here's the Ponti report, as promised. Please let me know if this is too long.

First, a caveat. We were with old friends whom we hadn't seen in a while, so I wasn't quite as aware of my surroundings as I might have been. I did look around and notice that the decor doesn't seem to have changed at all since we were last there, two-plus years ago.

We started out with the Dungeness crab spring rolls with red curry aioli and cilantro. I seem to remember these used to be encased in thin, translucent skins in the days of yore, and now they have a thicker, crispy skin - just as yummy. Every bit of the aioli was licked. . . er, mopped up with the excellent bread. My companions, Special J, Special B, and Special D, also enjoyed the grilled marinated calimari with picholine olives, tomatoes, garlic, watercress and gremolata (I didn't get to it fast enough).

Special J ordered the house smoked Alaskan black cod with lemon caper risotto, sauteed kale and red pepper coulis. It was a very large portion, and she pronounced it very good (and didn't share). Her husband, Special B, had the rosemary braised Australian lamb shank with wild rice pilaf, sauteed spinich and dried fruit compote (he only ate the lamb, not bein' a vegetable-eatin' kinda guy). It, too, was a big portion, and he usta liked it, because it, too, disappeared completely.

Special D had the heirloom tomato salad (which he did share - but he has to - he's my husband and them's the rules) - ah, real tomato taste!! He also had the Thai curre penne with grilled Alaskan weathervane scallops, Dungeness crab and tomato-ginger chutney (which he was happy not to have to share, because by then I was fully occupied with my own dinner :biggrin: ).

I had - for the first time in my life - the softshell crab, and I just want to say, right here, right now, that I am seriously pi**ed at everyone on the planet who knew about this delicious goodness all these years and didn't INSIST that I try it before now!! (The leftovers were just as delicious at brunch this morning on a po' boy with a nice dollop of Alligator Soul chipotle mayo).

Oh, yes, the wine. We shared a bottle of 2002 L'Ecole Syrah (Walla Walla). Perfect. When we asked the waiter for the wine list again, he saw us pointing to the bottle and heard "again" through the din (it was a very busy night - temperatures reached 96 degrees here in Seattle yesterday, and everybody in town apparently decided to let somebody else do the cooking -- even when we got there at nine it was still very hot outside, but inside the restaurant it was very comfortable). So anyway, instead of the wine list he brought us another bottle of the Syrah, which was just fine with us.

For dessert I didn't see anything dark and chocolaty on the menu, so I ordered the Key lime pie. Turns out they were out, but our waiter (he said he did it) put together a nice cornmeal shortcake/mixed berry concoction that was just fine. Special D and I enjoyed that while Specials J and B raved over their cheese plate - they expecially liked the nice reduced Balsamic vinegar dressing.

All told, we left the place happy. Special D grumbled a little bit later about the slow service, but I defended the poor waiter, who'd had to contend with a treacherous fellow wait-person who stole our calimari appetizer, a couple of large, rowdy tables, and one extremely persnickety couple (yes, I did come up for air after my first crab to have a look around).

Now, LEdlund, I'd be interested in hearing your experience (I was afraid to ask before we went!).

K

Great review, very consistent with my experiences there, although the one think I've had that I remember not liking was the penne, so maybe they've improved it. I just don't "get" softshell crab myself...

You've gotta be alright since you ordered red wine with seafood!.... :wink:

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Now, LEdlund, I'd be interested in hearing your experience (I was afraid to ask before we went!).

K

Thanks for the great report!

I didn't want to post before because I can't remember with great detail the reasons that I didn't like the place.

When they first opened my husband and I ate there a few times because it was very close to our house at the time. Each time we were really disappointed and finally vowed never to go back. Then last year, during the 25 for $25, we decided to give it one more try.

Here's what I remember: The dining room (and service) seemed stuffy and overly formal and hushed. I felt like other diners were looking at my husband and I like we were irresponsible kids, partying in schmancy restaurant (and trust me, we're no kids!). I felt very uncomfortable there. My husband remembers that his fish (a white fish of some sort) wasn't well prepared. The other thing I remember was that I didn't like the desserts. We both felt that it was underwhelming and a low value, even at $25.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Well, I'm glad things have improved! Do you think you could have gotten the "special" 25 for $25 dinner? :blink:

The place certainly wasn't stuffy and formal Friday night! We actually felt like the "oldsters" there - but that's OK; I find that the older I get (I'm 52) the better service I get. I have to agree with you about the desserts; the last minute save by our waiter probably was better than anything actually on the menu.