• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Hidden Cost of Being a Cocktail Enthusiast

slkinsey

We've been hanging around Bemelmans Bar a bit lately to experience the great "old school" atmosphere, savor the wonderful cocktails and enjoy the delightful company of libation goddess Audrey Saunders. One of the great things about the cocktails she designed for the bar is that they're really not all that alcoholic compared to, say, a four ounce martini. This, as you may well imagine, is for me an open invitation to stay late and try several cocktails.

It's been a little bit harder to get up in the morning, to say the least. I'm not hung over or headachey in the slightest, but definitely a little fuzzy and wishing it were Sunday morning instead of a weekday morning. Not an unusual thing to happen after I've spent an evening indulging my interest in cocktails.

Oh well... the prices we pay for our passions. :smile:

--

In addition to the water I'd suggest keeping a "theme" for the evening such as Vodka, Gin, Whiskey or whatever.

The Hangover From Hell always comes from drinking too many different things, not just too much.

Although simply drinking too much can put a hurtin' on 'ya too! :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Why is it that some spirits have a reputation of causing the most god-awful hangovers or for making folks sick -- tequila, for example?

Similarly, have there been any studies showing that mixing liquors will make the next day more painful? If so, why is that the case???

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

In addition to the water I'd suggest keeping a "theme" for the evening such as Vodka, Gin, Whiskey or whatever.

The Hangover From Hell always comes from drinking too many different things, not just too much.

It may be odd, but I have never found this to be true. I think it's because when I switch cocktails, I tend to concentrate on the flavors more and sip them more slowly.

If I were to drink, say, a Martini, a Manhattan and a Sidecar, I wouldn't feel any worse than if I drank three Martinis. I might, indeed, feel better, because for me, that third Martini always goes down way too quick. (And just for the record, I'm talking normal sized drinks with about 2 ounces of base spirits, not those huge things you get in some bars these days.)

There are all sorts of explanations commonly given, mostly involving "cogeners," but when I researched this several years ago for an article I found that the most reliable sources said that most of the lore of hangovers is not supported in fact. I spoke at length to a very smart guy named William Shoemaker, Ph.D., of the University of Connecticut Health Center (home to the federally-funded Alcohol Research Center), who said that there may be some things that slightly affect hangovers, but that total alcohol consumption is so clearly the overwhelming factor that the contribution of all other factors is quite minimal.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Frankly, after last night, I can't BELIEVE I'm not nursing an enormous hangover, and by the way, I can debunk that stuff about mixing giving the hangover from hell - which rumor I've heard since college - right now, as the various cocktails I had last night included gin, vodka, rum, bourbon and a couple others. Worst hangover ever: a night of tequila shots and very little food (do the lime and salt count as food?), lo these many years ago. I can't even think about it without gagging and feeling blinding pain behind my left eye. :blink:

Must be the Thai food. Green papaya = no hangover?

Actually it's probably the fact that we drank SLOWLY (arrived at 6:30 pm, left at almost 10:30pm) and drank water throughout the evening (Bemelman's staff are very good about keeping water glasses full!). The music probably helped, too...Gershwin is good for the soul.

Edited to add that yes, Audrey Saunders rocks. my. world. She is so incredibly cool that I want to be her when I grow up, and I'm not kidding. :cool:

K

Edited by bergerka (log)

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

It really bugs me how most places don't even bring you a glass of water with your cocktail. Water really is your best friend when you're drinking (and a stomach that isn't empty).

And really, I totally agree that it's the ethanol and not much else that gives you hangovers (I can put initials behind my name too, if it would help).

regards,

trillium

I spoke at length to a very smart guy named William Shoemaker, Ph.D., of the University of Connecticut Health Center (home to the federally-funded Alcohol Research Center), who said that there may be some things that slightly affect hangovers, but that total alcohol consumption is so clearly the overwhelming factor that the contribution of all other factors is quite minimal.

Maybe it's just my metabolism that doesn't seem to do well when I mix too many things. It's like making Hairy Buffalo Punch in your stomach or draining the bar mats and making shots. :shudder:

An old college roommate of mine that was a pre-med at the time told me that a hangover is really just an overabundance of the enzymes that break down alcohol in your bloodstream. Hence, the old "Hair of the Dog that Bit You" theory has some small basis in fact.

I also find that the higher the sugar content the louder the drum section in my head the next morning. Getting stinking drunk on cordials, dessert wines, port or anything with a good dose of sugar in it seems to make the throbbing and level of pain much higher.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

An old college roommate of mine that was a pre-med at the time told me that a hangover is really just an overabundance of the enzymes that break down alcohol in your bloodstream. Hence, the old "Hair of the Dog that Bit You" theory has some small basis in fact.

I'm not getting this. How's that?

Michael aka "Pan"

You're not getting it because it doesn't make any sense. The enzymes that break down alcohol are in the liver, and they can only turn over so much substrate per hour. Giving them more to do isn't going to help anything the next day, when the liver is also busy processing the toxins it generated from getting rid of the alcohol.

Here's a good bit on the science behind what alcohol does to your body in good layman's terms ala the BBC.

regards,

trillium

Thanks for the link, Trillium. I found this interesting:

Although people often seem to crash out and sleep after drinking, there is evidence to show that after drinking people's quality of sleep will be effected [sic]through dehydration.

Alcohol also interferes with sleeping rhythms.

Therefore, even though someone who has been drinking might look as if they are crashed out, they will not be getting the deep sleep that is needed to recharge their batteries.

People are still likely to feel tired after sleeping following drinking as they will have missed out on quality sleep.

I think that probably accounts for the way (As Sam originally noted) one feels sort of groggy the day after drinking, even if one really isn't "hungover."

I think that probably accounts for the way (As Sam originally noted) one feels sort of groggy the day after drinking, even if one really isn't "hungover."

I often feel as though someone snuck in overnight and stuffed the interstices of my brain with lambswool.