• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who makes the best Mojito in town

Perhaps you should exlore the "devilishly good eggs" at Ray's the Steaks.

Well, I already loves Ray's and know Michel* has soul. I am 120 hours away from living .486 miles from Ray's, so those eggs will be had. Or sorry, from dying .486 miles from Ray's.

Edited by morela (log)

Hello,

My wife is a devilled egg freak, we serve them complimentary as a canape in the Tasting Room... Devilled Quail Egg with osetra or botarga.

Let me know when you are in, I'll send you one.

Regards,

Cathal.

Todd Thrasher

The Guy who says YES CHEF and Sometimes makes a cocktail or two.

Restaurant Eve

110 S. Pitt St.

Alexandria, VA 22314

(703) 706-0450

Eamonn's A Dublin Chipper

PX (Upstairs)

728 King Street

Alexandria, VA 22314

(703) 299-8384

Hello,

My wife is a devilled egg freak, we serve them complimentary as a canape in the Tasting Room... Devilled Quail Egg with osetra or botarga.

Let me know when you are in, I'll send you one.

Regards,

Cathal.

:rolleyes:

That's really sweet of you guys.

Yep, I'll do something that no one has ever done before. I will have deviled eggs and a mojito and pork belly...

Thrasher, do people that scuba like cocktails as much as wine generally? Can scuba influence booze preferences? All the pretty water = cocktails.

do people that scuba like cocktails as much as wine generally? Can scuba influence booze preferences? All the pretty water = cocktails.

As a marine biologist I can assure you that this can indeed influence cocktail preferences. My colleagues who work in the Caribbean tend to favor rum-based drinks.

Back to the fermented pineapple skin juice, Todd uses this stuff in his new redition of a pina colada. He uses a martini glass and pours coconut foam on the top of the colada. I plan to try one the next time I'm in there.

Back to the fermented pineapple skin juice, Todd uses this stuff in his new redition of a pina colada.  He uses a martini glass and pours coconut foam on the top of the colada.  I plan to try one the next time I'm in there.

So, like, there is no mojito with pina. There's a mojito in theroy, and separately, at the same bar, there's fermented pineapple skin juice for a different cocktail that deserves attention. Okay. Sold.

Ireland and Caribbean.

Edited by morela (log)

Thrasher, do people that scuba like cocktails as much as wine generally?

When I am away with all of my "Peeps", there is alot of beer (most of the time Lager beer real Amstel of Polar) consumed and alot of Cacique Rum!

Todd Thrasher

The Guy who says YES CHEF and Sometimes makes a cocktail or two.

Restaurant Eve

110 S. Pitt St.

Alexandria, VA 22314

(703) 706-0450

Eamonn's A Dublin Chipper

PX (Upstairs)

728 King Street

Alexandria, VA 22314

(703) 299-8384

also not entirely the best some some really cool and HUGE mojitos can be found at Thaiphoon.. and I love them!

Ah...Thaiphoon...I'm a big fan of their (fresh) mango margaritas!! :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I love mojitos :wub:

One of the few girly drinks that I enjoy :smile:

While I've not visited most of the aforementioned bars, I can say that Chi-Cha Lounge makes a mean mojito.

Edited by Roger Troutman (log)

Love,

Mr. Roger Troutman, who enjoys food and beverages.

CHAIR, INTERNATIONAL DINING RESEARCH INSTITUTE

WASHINGTON, D.C.

do people that scuba like cocktails as much as wine generally? Can scuba influence booze preferences?  All the pretty water = cocktails.

As a marine biologist I can assure you that this can indeed influence cocktail preferences. My colleagues who work in the Caribbean tend to favor rum-based drinks.

I just came back from diving in Cozumel....it was either tequilla or rum. All that regulator air makes you mighty thirsty when you get back to land! :laugh:

P.S. Edit to add if you are in NY, Balthazar makes a great mojito! My son is bar back and he's been practicing on us all summer...what good luck!! :laugh:

Edited by hathor (log)

About that fermented pineapple skin juice...my mother used to make that as a treat. (come to think of it, seems like a bit of an odd treat for kids, but it's not terribly fermented :huh: ) ...it doesn't taste like pineapple juice, so i could see using it in a mojito type drink. It's very refreshing and tastes more like hard cider (but less sweet and without any fizz.) It's easy to make, too...if I remember correctly, you just put pineapple skin in a large container filled with water, cover, refrigerate for a few days, then strain and add sugar to taste. I could be wrong about that procedure, though..

"Big media today wants to own the faucet, pipeline, water, and the reservoir. The rain clouds come next." - Ted Turner

I apologize for this being off-topic but I didn't think it would merit a new thread on its own. I'm curious as to where people think the best sidecar is served in the District.

"See these? American donuts. Glazed, powered, and raspberry-filled. Now, how's that for freedom of choice."

-Homer Simpson

Saddened to see the Ceiba mojitos dissed here - they are the only place I know that actually employs a sugar cane press to make the "guarapo" sugar juice replaced in most recipes by simple syrup. The clear liquid turns dark pretty quickly so cannot be stored too long without an aesthetic loss - although the kind folks at Ceiba let me mooch some for the lab back home and taste did not seem to collapse too hard over the very brief period.

That might be a solution to the complaint that Ceiba's were too weak - bring the guarapo home. Or you could just bring a hip flask of your favorite rum to top it up. But either way, I contend that using the fresh pressed cane juice gives the drink a flavor base worth the extra hassle.

"Food is an essential part of a balanced diet."

Fran Lebowitz

I'm curious as to where people think the best sidecar is served in the District.

When you find out, tell me! Until then, all I can offer is where NOT to go for them.....

Boozy, lime-y nightmares all.

Karma on I street lists the Mojito among their featured drinks. Anybody ever been? I've been curious for a while about it, but I've never been over, for mojito or anything!

Edited by Chef Shogun (log)

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog