• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saltines and chili

In this current thread we are extolling the virtues of the humble saltine (Nabisco of course). For as long as I can remember, saltines have been served with chili. For me, saltines are an integral part of the chili experience. Is this a Tex-Mex thing? A Houston thing because of the (now gone) big Nabisco plant in the Houston area?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Before there were chips and hot sauce, there were saltines and hot sauce.

And it isn't just a Houston thing.

Tex-Mex restaurants all over the state once served saltines, pats of butter and hot sauce while you waited for your meal. Tostadas, or chips caught on much later, according to an oral history by Delia Moya Hobbs of Moya's Cafe in Refugio. (See page 165 of The Tex-Mex Cookbook.)

There are a few Tex-Mex restaurants that still serve saltines, butter and hot sauce instead of chips.

El Patio on Guadalupe and 31st in Austin being a famous example.

Edited by Robb Walsh (log)

Thank you so much for confirming that. You brought back memories of the buttered saltines and hot sauce at Felix's with my grandfather.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

• 1 month later...

Personally I prefer a hot buttery piece of Northern-style cornbread with my chili.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Saltines on chili, or on most soups (a must on tomato), make the experience much more enjoyable for me. Quintessential comfort food. :smile:

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

Oyster crackers are perfect too. Especially the ones you flavor with butter and cayenne and bake in the oven. In public school in Kansas and Missouri, chili was always served with a cinnamon roll. Whenever I mention this people think I am crazy. Any body else experience this?

American "chili" is so un-ethnic that I would never think of eating Mexican type garnishes with it. And I'm speaking of the ground beef, tomato sauce, stewed tomato, kidney bean, and cumin version my mother made. She always served chili with white vinegar to dash on top. Really good! Any one heard of this?

RM