• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

staff meal

get in my belly

Oh staff meal how I miss thee...

Monday,I had nachos line cooks style...

"What do you got?"

"Shaved prime rib? Hmmm, hey there is some spicy-black-bean-pasta-of-the-day sauce-thingy left over from lunch?"

"Sounds like a winner to me too!"

It was quite good: spicy black bean nachos topped w/ white cheder, shredded lettuce, and sour cream.

I honestly do not remember what I ate yesterday. Iced coffee, black.

Today it was tempura soft shell crab and a flat bread, goat cheese, and ham Scoobie Snack. And Iced coffee, black.

Edited by LJFATS (log)

R.I.P.

Johnny Ramone

1948-2004

www.RAMONES.com

• 1 month later...

its been toooo long hi culinary kids :biggrin::wub: been meditating on music lately trying to start a at home business in producing music so ive been busy . i also have gone vegitarian and it is soo hard to eat good when everything around you in the kitchen is dipped in meat juice mmmmmmm meat juice :wink: last night was a flat bread pizza with motz toms and avocado and siracha of course ...........peace !

worst employee meal ever " gruel ". day old risotto rice mixed with week old lobster bisque , strewn with chunks of 5 day old mahi mahi and escolar( which has an enzyme in its flesh that promotes a mild laxative effect) warmed up in a rondeau together put into a hotel pan, hermetically sealed with foil, right into a 250 degree oven for 2 hours,...YUM

For employee meal one of my signature dishes in whole chicken poached in coconut milk, curry, lime zest and juice, cilantro, ginger, and garlic. Pull out the chicken when it is totally cooked through. Reduce the liquid and strain the sauce. I accompany the meal with steamed basmati rice on the side.

I have also made meat lasagna using thinly sliced zucchini in place of lasagna sheets. It was pretty darn tasty too. I fooled all the staff with this Atkin's version. It wasn't intentional.

I like being creative with staff meals, as to challenge myself and the rest of the crew with originality and on a budget too! :cool:

"To invite a person to your house is to take charge of his (her) happiness for as long as he is under your roof."

Brillat Savarin

You don't have to like everything I make, but you still have to eat it.

A Co-Worker from Work

• 2 months later...

:biggrin::laugh::cool::raz: yo so today i made some chix tacos just boiled some cix w spices and onion and roasted red pep and jalipeno some improve cheeses and bib lettus saracha of course some fresh red onion mmmmmmmm delish we just had a menu change so the food cost is no object its been real nice prime steakes and truffles and demis and killer pork chops and kobe burgers why you would grind up kobe beef is beyond me but they rock :biggrin:

anybody live in seattle :smile: im movin out there next year probably for a while just wanted some good advice about restaurants or areas to live with restaurants worth a damn or a job maybe good to be back love yall :wub:

today was pritty busy we ran around from word go and never did we have a chance to make line snax or any food i was hungry today so i made my latest fast line snack a bowl of french onion soup with salad croutons not the big ones some sauted mushrooms and parm cheez with a ball of black truffle butter mmmmmmmmmm :wub: truffles its quick and awsome then later was taco bell :unsure::hmmm: why do i do it to myself till laters - gimb

i had a paninni w/ ham, salami, bacon, and pracuto (i can't spell it). it also had boursin and fresh mozz. yum

R.I.P.

Johnny Ramone

1948-2004

www.RAMONES.com

"Mexican torta". Avocado, ham, mayo, lettuce, tomato, fresh mozz and chipotle peppers on chiabatta. This might become a menu item.

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

• 4 months later...
:biggrin: well well well ! how are you kids doin :cool: did ya miss me and stuff :raz: so i live in phoenix again yeah . today staff meal was some goat cheese ravs that i made from scratch they had bacon and shallots and fresh herbs mmmmm. just a couple of the ones that burst . then i made a fresh mots tomato basil olive oil and truffle oil pizza man the dough at my new job rocks . :biggrin: its good to be back soooo what you eat at work today?

• 5 months later...

On workout days rye bread sandwiches with chicken/turkey as second breakfast and mid-afternoon snack, for noon something homemade-then-frozen-then-microwaved stuff like jambalaya, chicken vindaloo, japanese curry, chili con carne, etc. On non-workout days, cottage cheese, whey shake, raw veggies and fruits as snacks and a big tuna or chicken salad for lunch.

Christian Z. aka ChryZ

[ 1337 3475 - LEET EATS ] Blog

• 1 month later...

Today the boys in the kitchen hooked us all up with the All-American 4th of July meal. Burgers, hot dogs, ribs, corn on the cob, and potato salad.

I love those guys for making having to work the holiday that much nicer. :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 3 months later...

I am sad and very shamed to tell you all that I have quite the culinary bussiness . :unsure: I was unable to make a good living without selling my soul to the man and big bussiness down in Phoenix . I felt like i was breaking up with a girlfriend or better like i was telling my wife that i had loved for 14 years had no problems with was still in love with that i wanted a divorce . :sad: It took me 3 monthes to decide that i had to find something else to do . I was depressed and deeply saddened and cried the night i put in my two weeks because in my heart and deep in my soul i knew it would be my last two as a professional . I grew up in the kitchens . I had done nothing else . The feel of a saute pan as you flip it and then gently but hurredly place it back on the burner , the smell of stock that needs to be strained in the morning , carefully cutting veg for my soup , going to get my chef jacket from the rack, the smell of mirepois in a hot pot carmalizing , the noise of plates crashing together in the dish tank , speaking broken spanglish , making emp meal , and just the dance . The everyday two step . The kitchens will always be a part of my soul deeply rooted . I will never forget the lessons that the kitchen has taught me . Most people ive found dont understand why i work the way i do and i dont understand them . There lazy uneffieciant scatterbrained unorganized waterheads . But i just smile when people complain about there bullshit job,guess theve never had a pissed off owner operator chef yelling over there shoulder as you cut the skin off fish about the fact that they forgot an off site party for 25 fingerfoods to desserts that has to be out in two hours and look good and its your fault ,plus your own prep for the night and its a friday. Unless youve been there you can never know.And so i smile.Because its all easy after that . A few people in my life have guided me and kept my head above water and shared a few cocktails in the bussiness id like to give em a shoutout.........

Chef Tenya , Chef Denver , Chef Max , Chef Hubert , Chef Mike ,Chef Christopher

Jen ,vicente,and Egullet.com . Thank you !I will carry your memories with me on all my pathes .Love , Light and Peace be within - :wub: Ben