• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

staff meal

get in my belly

Bratwurst and sourcraut with mustard, fried potato latkas, and some kind off spicy beef stirfry. later on the line I ate a petite filet and some potato au gratin that was extra.

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

Were you listening to my last convo with my co-workers?

I've always been front of house, server, manager, sommelier, whatever you need. Staff meals can be amazing and they can be amazingly crappy. It has been my experience in these last 20 yrs. that they are almost always-and this is important, available. Ya gotta eat

What I really don't understand is why kitchen folk do not take this oppurtunity. My husband, a chef (also a veteran) leaves the place where the food is and announces he's not eaten all day. We've been working since the A.M., it's after most restaurants in the city have closed and we're too tired to go to them anyway. We both work in the industry so natrually there's nothing to eat in our home excepting the remnaints of the meal we carefully shopped for on our day off. Fresh herbs and peanut butter? If only we'd bought wonder instead of that lovely artisan now hard-as-a-rock bread.

This is not just my experience, it's industry wide. I've asked

The first response is "I've been handling food all day, I don't want to eat it"

So have we (front of house workers) - but

Ya gotta eat

Sustinance

My real question is - Why do so many kitchen people refuse to eat at work?

Waht I'd really like to say is:

Do not leave the place where the food is and say that you are hungry.

For that matter, I never understood why people in the restaurant where I worked would rather order from McDonald's rather than order off the menu or make something with the fresh food already in-house. Sure we couldn't eat steak, but especially on weekdays it was okay to eat highly perishable proteins like fish and pork chops and of course vegetables are always ok to eat.

I do understand the feeling that you work with the food all the time, and you just don't want to eat it. I've had days when I just drank a ton of coffee with milk instead of eating because I couldn't get up the interest.

i never understood those weirdos myself , not wanting to eat ...... :hmmm: and mcdonnalds of all the dog food you could chose from id rather eat well my own vomit after a good meal . ........mc donnalds :hmmm::raz: yeh i feel ya on that . well my point of this thread was to tell tales about what ya did eat at work as many do as well . as dont . soooooo here goes .............

:biggrin:

am was a turkey and swiss sand on rye grilled with a bacon mayo sourcream spread thats the bomb. sounds like a case of the shits tho :wink::unsure: and some coffee . split it with the other cook i e=was workin with . cool dude.

pm was yes good people you guessed it my personal favorits and here to stay ................da daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :smile: pasta suprise ......what the hell is .......... and that :unsure: uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuwell its hot . :wacko: thats right its saracha time mmmmmmmmmm have i told you guys about how much sarachi and i love each other . its getting to the point that i get jelous when someone else squizes her bottle . :biggrin: till tomarrow ........GEMB

I finally had a full day at work yesterday for the first time this semester, so for my staff meal I had a bowl of chicken salad (with walnuts and plumped raisins) and a salad with ranch dressing. I also snuck an apricot and a few swipes of pastry cream mixed with yogurt and honey. Mmm, college eatin'.

The housekeeper, my only other "family" to feed, fixed herself a fat tuna sandwich on marble rye from the buffet I set up. She ate it with a big pile of potato chips and declared it good.

today ........oh.......my ...........god..........there are no discriptive words in the engish language to tell you about tonights pasta suprise . uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu pasty ? and soupy at the same time ? uuuuuuuuuuuuchunks of something . red bits of something . well needless to say we filled our plates as not to offend and threw it away on line and juan and i looked at each eother and smiled . ok way whatchu thinkin ese . i dont know juan think tocos de cabeza con chili verdi and pazole sounds good . we don have that shit para comida puto . yea i know well how bout a torta with black beans avocado ham swiss bacon and mayo sound . odale ese ta bien . so we scarfed it as we kneeled down in front of our coolers . and almost got caught a couple of times . :shock::rolleyes: la la la ....la la....la. crunch crunch crunch . then had a messed up cream brule for desert wasnt that good but im a creme brule snob . :raz::wub: till tomarrow

Halibut in pistachio crust, served on yogurt/caper sauce, with saffron rice and a handful of mixed veg. Just the way we serve it to the customers; but with a bowl of the boss's clam "chowder" (I'm sorry, I'm from Nova Scotia...if it ain't white, don't call it chowder) on the side.

Have I mentioned that they feed us pretty well?

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

My real question is - Why do so many kitchen people refuse to eat  at work?

Waht I'd really like to say is:

Do not leave the place where the food is and say that you are hungry.

Its my experience that in the more demanding restaurants cooks take advantage of the rare moment of peace that they have before service starts. Also, if they do not eat they lack the energy that is needed to perform under such strenous conditions.

what a crappy long day it was yesterday . :wacko: coo coo , coo coo . am was busy as hell and never let up . i ended up eating a garbage sandwich was very good .was ends and pieces from the omlets that i was going to throw away .some tobasco glass of milk . :biggrin:

then i walk into the shining pit of hell . pm was really crapy no emp meal no prep no nothing . never even had time to eat. :hmmm: after the devil stuck his pitch fork in my ass . went and had two pints o the blackness and went to bed :cool:

I was hungry today, chicken pot pie, vegetable minestrone, hot dog with mustard and ketchup. Later on the line someone made chicken ceaser wraps that I ate with fries and ketchup, lots of pieces of soy, mustard, and thyme marinaded steaks. I had to turn down more food then I actually ate at work today, not so bad.

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

Earlier, some ravioli with fresh peas off the menu. Late afternoon snack - cornbread and chili that was staff meal.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

About six cups of decaf coffee with cream

Several swipes of goat cheese spread

One of my favorite work snacks: a slice of provolone cooked on the griddle until brown and crisp

A big salad with whatever cheeses and meats I found laying about

A couple of the breast tenders from butter-herb roasted chicken

Eating around the kitchen has reached new heights as of lately proabably b/c one of the line cooks just got back from vacation and he is a master at meals on the line. Today it was Monte Cristo with onion marmalade, :blink: then he made a sauce/thickened soup/stew mixture of shrimp and spicy sausage, basil, garlic, lemon and parsley which I dipped into with some of our sun-dried tomato bread. Life is good nowadays on the line. :cool: He's off tomorrow though so somebody is going to have to step up to the plate and cook some good food.

Welcome, LJFats. :biggrin:

I ate a big ol' burger for lunch today, with cheap mustard. (I used to get in the great French sharp sharp dijon but my girls didn't like it--so now I stick to Grey Poupon and French's for those who can't even handle the GP.) Plus about six cups of coffee, as usual. I meant to eat some veggies but never got around to it.

A buffalo chicken finger and then a sandwich of italian sausage and chile. A few wings b/c this is give-a-way night.

Stole me mashers as always. was gonna eat a wing while in the freezer, but was warned it may not be fully cooked....no wing for me. Did get to "taste" my special alot, yellow tomato marinara, roasted red peppers, artichokes, and mushrooms tossed w/ linguini. I didn't get to eat the fish though. Oh, and some over cooked steak, fries dipped in blue cheese dressing, and 1 single cocktail shrimp.

post staff meal ....6 pack tall boy Busch. mmmmmmm beer

R.I.P.

Johnny Ramone

1948-2004

www.RAMONES.com

:biggrin: oh man you guys are making me sooo hungry . chef dog that sausage sand sounds the bomb , fats have not had gumbo for so long it sounds soooooo good . today am was some ham tomato and chedar pasta salad that i crushed chips into soooo tas t . then some of this austrian potato soup was very good like a stew with bacon and carrots those crazy germans know how to good thats for sure :wink::cool: talk to ya tonight .

side convo : hey benito ya know what i made at my house yesterday . what juan ? i made some pesole verde with some tostadas and coronas . you bastard and you didnt bring any in did you . know way cavron we ate it all . you little ........ how much for a bowl . maybe you come over some sunday and we make dinner and you meet my family and we get drunk and eat and play cards . man juan thanx but you know i work every sunday im always workin man . yea ese you always workin . tell me more about that pasole man ............ well ese you take onion and tomalilla and cook them in a saute pan and make salsa verde and mix it in unlit thick then add it to your pasole base with chicken instead of beef . oh and my wife maka da flan way . ok juan i m movin in with you way how much is rent .... :laugh:

no staff meal for me since friday, due to hurricane/tropical storm Frances.

but since taking care of a pregnant girlfriend during a hurricane is a job in it's-self, we drove around for 45 min. in 40-60 mile an hour winds and found an American-Itlaian joint (you know, plastic checkered table cloths) that opened just for the storm at 10:30 at night. i had manacotti and she had stuffed shells.

Edited by LJFATS (log)

R.I.P.

Johnny Ramone

1948-2004

www.RAMONES.com

ok everythings fine uuuuu ive had withdaws people i was freakin out man i didnt know what to do im ok now ........

ill start off yesterday

had crab dip and fried flour tortilla chips and some fried mushrooms was really good .

then sunday was fend for yourself day we had steaks oh yea we were bitter that day sundays always suk

saterday was this nasty pasta crap no one ate because you could have put up wall paper with it .

friday was nothing we were allowed to make tortas at the end of the night i made a fried chicken mari sc with melted prov cheese and lots o parm sand there were too many variations to discribe .

i dont remember the rest glad to see this world is back and running strong love you guys