• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

staff meal

get in my belly

Not one, not two, but three brats with saurcraut!!! They really helped the hang-over. Then I scarfed a piece of seabass that was incorrectly ordered.

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

I knew that today was "fish fry" day so I went and had a Cuban at a local restaurant, but I did have "clam chowder" at work and I almost puked. Where are you Get in my belly?

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

no worries mi amego. yo esta aqui . :biggrin: today ,a.m i had smoked salmon cream cheese ,yum,on stale crutons , yum , :blink: some center cut water mellon yum :wub: water mellon (i let the juices drip down my chin for self gratification ) sooooooo sweet . and watery :wub: ok im back then for dinner mmmmmmmmm pasta suprise still cant tell you what was in it . something green something white something meat textured . something pasta esk . i passed and made my self and my food buddy at work juan , a pizza on the sly of course . i like scetchy but it has to look like it was eddible at one time not swept off the floor ya feel me . so anyway thats my stoy for today will talk at ya tomarrow chef dog et all . get in myyyyyyyyy belly , you look like a little baby . :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::rolleyes::biggrin::cool:

at the first job had some chicken flavored curried rice it was really good simple curried rice with chicken base but it was basmatti rise and i could eat that plain with nothing else. basmatti rice how i love thee :wub: now get in my belly :biggrin: needed some saracha tho :sad: but what doesnt. :raz:

today 2nd job i went in early to help make the meal . curly pasta caviotini ? then took 30 cloves of garlic and rough choped them aND CARMALIZED them in cup 1/2 oil . tosssed in the canned sauce its good stuff though . and let it cook for a minute .till hot . the toseed in the pasta .put it in a hotel pan and put fried eggplant and tomatoes in it then big chunks of buffalo mots and crushed red peppersand about three cups of shaved parm :biggrin: mmmm it was d bomb . some baggette . :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: ahhhh food now i sit and eat mexican with chop sticks .

Yesterday's staff meal: seared ahi tuna chunks, halibut chunks, romaine salad, roasted red potatoes with rosemary, Vietnamese rice wrapper rolls.

Good lunch, but I ended up with a really bad blister later on from dicing a large box of raw yams. Not a big deal usually, but this session ripped off that all-important callus under my index finger. :sad: Culinary school is going to suuuuuuuuuck this week...

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

today not much all day and im starvin . that tuna salad sounds great . scarffed down some eggs i messed up with tomatoes cheddar lemon juice salt chopped ham and some cold buttered toast it was sooo good . really cold though . wonder why my stomach hurts :biggrin::blink: mmmmmmmmm samonilla and botulizm bring it on germs . :raz: think ill start off with ice cream eatin with chop sticks :biggrin:

:cool: well not too exciting today a.m. half a tuna salad sand and some honey ham with swiss . was good . will let you know about tonight for i am starving :wink: hey ya you what did you eat for e meal today . i know you had something so tell us . :biggrin: till later . oh yeah .......]get in my.............]belly :biggrin: Edited by get in my belly (log)

Deja vous. It was "taco day" but today's tacos were some kind of mystery meat that made everybody sick. Later on the line I had jalapeno corn bread with a concoction of- seafood chowder+estoufade+saffron rice+garlic spinach= one of those things that a stoner line cook invented a passed along to the rest of us. Still having my two beer desert.

got in and got my a## kicked so was unable to eat like a human . had to shove fist fulls of a sandwich down my throught and not get caught doing so with cheeks puffed out like a chipmonk . the inhumanity of the kitchen some times . it was good bacon avocado lettus tomato mayo and chedar , then some puff pastry from a special with ice cream and honey mmmmmmmmmm . some put carmel sc some coco sc . then i soaked some bread in honey cause i forgot how much i love plain honey and let it sit for an hour sooooooo tasty :biggrin:

i don't normally eat the staff meal due to lack of time and disinterest in eating sandwiches or burritos yet again, but yesterday i was hungry and they had pans of lasagna and a huge salad, so i took 5 minutes to inhale a plateful.

Deja vous. It was "taco day" but today's tacos were some kind of mystery meat that made everybody sick. Later on the line I had jalapeno corn bread with a concoction of- seafood chowder+estoufade+saffron rice+garlic spinach= one of those things that a stoner line cook invented a passed along to the rest of us. Still having my two beer desert.

Chefdq,

I need to know where you work. Must avoid. You got sick in two of these posts.

Anyway...today's lunch: Angelhair with bay scallops and rock shrimp, brown butter, carmelized onion and tomato. :biggrin:

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

Yesterday, I made mexican pizzas

one with chicken, bacon, mozza and mushrooms

the other pesto, baby shrimp and fresh tomato

I have always had the attitude with staff meal I can make it cheaper and better

also it build bridges with the front of house, you always want to be in good relations with your fellow workers after all you are all in the same boat.

If my boses did not like it ( feeding staff) you could fire me!!

I am still here after 25 years

hungry staff makes terible workers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

feed the worker!!!!!!!!!!!

:wacko::raz:

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

Penne surprise. The surprise was that it tasted like crap. I eat staff meal at a hotel in southwest florida that provides for nearly 800 employees a day. I would never complain about free food to the people who are providing it to me, so you guys get to hear it. And I have never really been "sick" from the food I have eaten there, usually I am hot, or sweaty, or both and cannot properly digest my food. :smile:

Today we had Fish Cakes, Macaroni & Cheese and fresh homemade Stewed Tomatoes. A bit heavy for a desk-bound individual like myself, but nonetheless a classic meal.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

that sounds like meals my father used to make katieloeb . makral cakes burnt to perfection dry mac n cheese mmmmmmm and vegi in a can of the day usually green beans . how i miss those simple meals that i hated then . :sad:

:biggrin: today was bust my ass day . work in a bakery in the morning i run the lunches and breakfast for there cafe . its kinda fun bein the short order cook greasy apron and hat on backwords with that get my eggs out the window attitude . :biggrin: just kidding but after doin fine dinning for years hard to get back into slingin hash browns its fun . :raz:

to day was bits of cake i stole while the pastry chef wasnt looking , some cookie dough , some slices of provolone , and a peice of sausage that was miss ordered ........ :rolleyes: i dont know why im sooo fat :biggrin: hehehehe dont care either hope i go face don in a bucket of icecream and carmel sauce . or a pile of bacon with cream sauce and melted butter to dip it in . :wink::cool: ya feel me .

then second job ooop got my ass kicked , so juan and i ate some lobster bisque and bread . then some fries with black bean soup on them then some bread and honey again . it was soo good and had a serious sweet tooth . :laugh: now for the real meal of the day tocos gringo style . yeah .mmmmmmm toco belll sauce in the drawer .

today was bust my ass day . work in a bakery in the morning i run the lunches and breakfast for there cafe . its kinda fun bein the short order cook greasy apron and hat on backwords with that get my eggs out the window attitude .  just kidding but after doin fine dinning for years hard to get back into slingin hash browns its fun . 

I have done all types services such as creating fine dinning, doing breakfast and preparing lunch and each one has their moments.

steve

I love mexican, cajun, Itilian and Canadian food

fresh bread, sandwiches, soups, nice pastas, fresh fish and shell fish any way, any style, just the freshest; now that is what I enjoy cooking!

I love that scenario too!

greasy apron and hat on backwords

:blink:

yeah me too steave . started at dennys , elephant bar , fish market , aj fine ribs , bennigans , tgifridays , culinary school , then all fine dinning and the best of the best were i live . cant stand corperate cooking and hate the money where i can experiance the fine foods . did a low country cookin spot for two years , german pacific rim , real italian spot , now a french bistro . and a european bakery . love it all .heres your eggs flow ding ding . :biggrin:

today was a bowl of goldengrams for b fast they dont use em anymore and they were going to waist .then for lunch had a curried cix salad and cheese sandwich with toms and red onion . sat out on the patio and enjoyed the beautiful day . ahhhhhhhhhhhhh till later .......ben.

It is the right of a worker to get decent chow, hell if they will not, then volunteer and make the staff meal yourself, they will either hang you or let you go?

Or just leave in the middle of the rush and take your half hour by law break and go for lunch :wacko:

Usually you can not do this, thus staff meal paid by the company.

steve :raz:

Edited by stovetop (log)

Today I'm having penne with chunks of grilled chicken, vegetables, tomatoes and basil. Pretty tasty. It's a payday so I was real busy and missed the 3PM deadline to order one of the lunch specials. I would have ordered one of our Best of Philly burgers but staff meal smelled so good I had it instead.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Can I work for you??

Sounds like good chow :wub:

steve

Love to have you!

Please note that sometimes if the kitchen's too busy they order out for pizza for staff meal. Or make scrambled eggs and thaw out the frozen brunch pastries so it's breakfast in the afternoon. On those days I'll order off the menu.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

pm was my specialty today . went in early again and made a pasta with caviotini bacon pearl onions a little cream lots oh parm and sarachi and truffle oil shhhhhhhhhhh dont tell . :biggrin: and some french bread .

twas tasty and all scarfed it down quick even got a few that was shit comments with smiles, that made me feel good . ya know .

till tomarrow . ben