• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Maple syrup...

elyse

Fat Guy & Lesley- It appears that the Fancy grade appelation is Vermont-specific. The equivalent in the Canadian system is actually "No.1 Extra Light" and in USDA, it's Grade A Light Amber. They both have no less than 75% Light Transmittance. At least that's the theory from this table: http://ohioline.osu.edu/b856/b856_44.html. In practice, I am not sure if for e.g. a particular brand might go to 78% or 80% to produce a super lighter/fancier type.

Also, between the A and B, there are 2 additional grades: Medium Amber (US) or No.1 Light Grade A (Canada), then Dark Amber (US) or No.1 Medium Grade A. If I haven't confused you already, it's:

From Best to less ------->

US/Vermont:

Grade A Light Amber/Fancy --> Medium Amber --> Dark Amber --> Grade B

Canada:

No. 1 Extra Light --> No. 1 LightGrade A --> No. 1 MediumGrade A --> No. 2 Amber

Source: http://ohioline.osu.edu/b856/b856_44.html

However, what's bugging me still is the significance of the "Organic" labelling. Is Organic Maple Syrup even better because the trees haven't been given anything non-organic for their growth?

"I hate people who are not serious about their meals." Oscar Wilde

Actually, I never refrigerate maple syrup - and it never molds, granulates, or turns. I should mention that I usually go through a bottle (about 12 oz) every two weeks and I'm very careful that I never touch the inside of the lid or the rim of the bottle. My mother, on the other hand, can't seem to keep her syrup from getting moldy unless she keeps hers in the fridge. However, she has a teenage son who regularly gets his mitts into it . . . and I suspect that's the difference.

Don't worry torakris, the lack of grade doesn't mean that it's not the real stuff, just that it doesn't come from a big commercial place but probably from a small Co-op where small producer come together to market their production, or a bigger company that buy small producer end of season barils that they don't bother grading!

Kareen

Actually, I never refrigerate maple syrup - and it never molds, granulates, or turns.  I should mention that I usually go through a bottle (about 12 oz) every two weeks

Ladybug, that's the difference right there. You're going through 12oz (less that 500ml) in 2 weeks, I'm going through a litre in 6 months. You're just not giving it time to go off. :biggrin:

Ahhh, Miss J. I see! Duh! That didn't occur to me. I've never had a bottle longer than a month, let alone six! Wow! Now I'll have to ask my Mom how long a bottle lasts her. I suspect I go through it quite a bit more quickly. I have three children who love buttermilk pancakes with maple syrup.

Is maple syrup more expensive in the UK, then? It's not cheap here (compared to maple-flavored dreck), but it's not out of reach. I pay $2.99 for about 12 ounces. I could pay 99 cents for twice as much of the maple-flavored mess.

As with so many things (sigh), maple syrup costs about the same in pounds sterling as in dollars. Waitrose (a moderately upscale supermarket chain) Amber No.2 costs £2.69 for approximately 12oz.

clb

It's liquid gold here, which is why I get mine in Canada or coerce my family to bring it over for me. The problem is it's a bit heavy to cart around by air. :rolleyes:

I get those litre jugs for around $10 CDN - approx £5.

Edited by Miss J (log)

Maple syrup is just one of those things I absolutely love to eat. I can drink the stuff.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one... I adore the stuff... :wub:

I've made all varieties of maple desserts. Maple Walnut cake is one of my faves. maple in the cake, maple in the frosting... its a maple syrup orgy. OH and maple syrup pie. SOOO good.

Born Free, Now Expensive

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I just found out the Quebec equivalent of the Vermont "Fancy" syrup is called Canada #1 AA, tres clair (very clear).

As for organic syrup, yes the rules are very stringent. Unlike organic wine, where only the grapes must be organic, production of the syrup (equipment, addition of preservatives etc) must follow strict regulations. Of Quebec's 8000 maple farms, 300 are certified organic. Last year's production of organic syrup produced 6 million pounds of the 73 million produced in Quebec, with more than 80% exported, primarily to the US.

For anyone who is REALLY interested, there's an excellent article about organic maple syrup -- in French -- at www.cyberpresse.ca/tendances/article/1,157,1090,032003,244359.shtml.

For what it's worth (and I've done quite extensive tasting), I find that I enjoy Vermont maple syrup better than Canadian maple syrup. Given, the difference (for me) is barely discernable, but still enough so that I'm able to favour one over the other.

Having traveled through Vermont many times, I've also concluded that they are FAR more proud of their maple syrup than we are in Canada. I mean, it's friggin-well everywhere! I was half-expecting to be able to order McSyrup at Vermont McDonald's locations.

In our household, the family tradition is a Sunday morning breakfast of pancakes or waffles or crepes.... We usually use Grade A Medium Amber syrup because that's what's most commonly sold around here... Regardless of the brand, we noticed it has more flavor than the Light Amber...

I like the good stuff so much I created an original (I THINK its original.. one never knows what's original these days) side dish recipe for sauteed carrots that I would like to share with you.... What's nice about this recipe is 1. The carrots are not boiled and actually taste good.... and 2. The syrup is used sparingly, and gives the carrots a certain Je ne sais quoi... They don't taste like maple syrup....they aren't sticky or glazed....

Sauteed Carrots

4-5 carrots, peeled, and cut into sticks roughly 3 inches long

(Don't worry about making them fancy or even)

2 Tablespoons unsalted butter

2 Tablespoons maple syrup

Salt & Pepper

Melt the butter over medium high heat in a fry pan. Add the carrots and stir them to coat, drizzle the syrup over and coat. Lower heat to medium low and cook covered for about 10 minutes, shaking the pan on occasion. Natural juices from the carrots will cook them. Uncover and raise heat to medium high heat, cook 10 more minutes until carrots start blackening.... Some black is good. Add Salt & Pepper to taste.

I just brought a friend in Toronto some maple syrup I bought in Ottawa that is Kosher.

This is the brand;

http://labontehoney.com/home.html

The thing that could make maple syrup not kosher is, fat (yes it is the kind of fat used that makes the problem) added to the surface of the maple sap to keep it from boiling over when evaporating the water.

Belly button shots are probably the best way of eating maple syrup.

Pixelchef, all maple syrup isn't the same. It varies from producer to producer. I had some maple syrup from the Eastern Townships this weekend that knocked my socks off (Grade A), and I had some from the Beauce that was darker and not as nice. I think the best place to buy syrup is on site at a sugar shack. The supermarket bulk stuff is never as good. I think they get the dregs.