• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Valencia Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

Thanks for the tips guys, that's most useful. Happy to return the favour if you fancy a jaunt to sunny Manchester.

Cheers

Thom

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

• 3 weeks later...

As Rogelio said, Valencia and Spain are not France. Here kids are welcome in most of the restaurant. So don't worry for that.

For the kids i would suggest to go to the America's Cup port, they will be able to run and see the Veles i Vents building. Guilliver and all the old river of Turia are good with kids. You can hire some bikes and make a tour to the TURIA

http://www.culturia.org/

To have dinner i would suggest some new places i didn't mentioned before. Some will be to go with kids and some other will be just a way to update people that want to go to Valencia.

First AVOID all restaurants of America's Cup Port, price are crazy and quality is ... well isn't. The worst of all is BEST OF ITALY, followed by BAMBO DE MAR both to avoid. The only one who might be ok would be PASTORET DEL MAR and depending on the waiters.

I would recommend:

Manga Sushi Bar (Conde Altea 13): Just in front of the RIFF a delicious Sushi Bar, Elena who owns it was ex singer of a pop group and used to work in another wonderfull sushi place in Valencia SUSHI CRU (Dr. Zariñena 3), i recommend to let her chose for you if you're a real sushi lover.

La Gallineta (conde de altea 7): In the same street for me one of the surprises of Valencial. I wanted to go several times but we never maneged to do so. But since i tested for the first time i must say it's a place to go. Really good service and food. I will make a detailed post soon, for me a place to visit in Valencia.

Santa Cruz (Cuenca, 19): Good marisco, and good quality price. I'm from galicia so for me almost no place is better than there for Marisco but Santa Cruz help me to forget that i'm far away from where i was born. The Gaspacho Manchego de Mariscos is the dish not to miss. Usualy fully booked for lunch time.

• 5 months later...

Hi, folks.

I am going to Valencia for a Conference on Thursday and may or may not go to Ca Sento (in one of the reviews in this forum someone mentioned you have to get on the good side of the maitre'd, and I'm not sure I want to go to a restaurant where it's not the maitre'd who has to get on my good side...).

I'm looking for traditional places in central Valencia (mainly, the Carmen quarter), as I'll be fairly restricted in mobilty by several appointments.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Mar

Edited by Mar Calpena (log)

Middlebrow Catalan gastronomy??????

http://baixagastronomia.blogspot.com/

Hola Mar,

Although not en El Carme, Torrijos is an alternative to Ca' Sento. The chef is the young Josep Quintana who dazzles with his reworking of classics and local flavors. One of the finest rices I've eaten anywhere in Spain was a meloso one he did with partridge, foie gras, and the smoke of burnt acorn twigs.

TORRIJOS

Doctor Sumsi, 4

Valencia

34/963.73.29.49

www.restaurantetorrijos.com

Again, outside El Carme, but a short taxi ride away, is the unmissable Casa Montaña, the 170-year old bodega in El Cabanyal (near the port). Very mixed crowd – and a favorite of local chefs. The wine list is said to be the longest in the city and the owner, Emiliano García, is chatty and generous with his knowledge. Don't miss the tapas – the ajo arriero (pureed garlic and potato dip eaten cold) is fab as are their salt cod croquettes with pine nuts. The tocino de cielo (“pork from heaven”) dessert is original, with a bit of tomato confit.

CASA MONTAÑA

José Benlliure, 69

Valencia

34/963.67.23.14

www.emilianobodega.com

Enjoy!

Jeff

I will absolutely second Casa Montaña, but would not write off Ca Sento so quickly. My meal there was sublime and at the top of a great year of dining for me. I could not discern any issue with the maitre'd nor did I do anything to "get on his good side." The remainder of our significant meals were taken outside the city.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I will absolutely second Casa Montaña, but would not write off Ca Sento so quickly. My meal there was sublime and at the  top of a great year of dining for me. I could not discern any issue with the maitre'd nor did I do anything to "get on his good side." The remainder of our significant meals were taken outside the city.

I have also eaten very well at Ca' Sento and, as well, saw no issue whatsoever with the matire'd. I love its size and the fact that Raúl Aleixandre can see the main dining room from the kitchen - and in fact watches, keeping an eye on what is going on. It's small, be sure to reserve.

For more traditional rices, two top options are just outside the city, south in the Albufera: Casa Carmina and Casa Savador.

Casa Carmina (in El Saler) is legendary for her soupy rice of fesols i naps (white beans and turnips, flavored by various parts of pork) and Casa Salvador (further south in Cullera) for his range of dry rices. Salvador pulls of the near impossible task of preparing truly excellent restaurant paella by having two kitchens – one dedicated solely to "dry" rices (aka, paella) with 23 wide burners flaming away. The paella of boneless duck and tender garlic is phenomenal.

CASA CARMINA

Embarcadero, 4

El Saler

34/961.83.02.45

CASA SALVADOR

L’Estany de Cullera

Cullera

34/961.72.01.36

www.casasalvador.com

Wow, thanks for answering sooooo quickly! You're a such a wonderful and helpful lot...

Torrijos was already on my mind as well, and it's probably going to be either that orCa Sento on Friday evening and either Casa Montaña or El Tossal for lunch on Saturday-

I'm a bit surprised by no mentions to La Sucursal, though... I thought it would come up, and was also considering it for Friday.

Middlebrow Catalan gastronomy??????

http://baixagastronomia.blogspot.com/

• 3 months later...

A bit late I'm afraid,

But Chust Godoy within the city beat off all the Albufera (and Tokyo) competition to win the 'Best Paella' title in the last Sueca International Paella Contest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GsvsxGPZ18 (the comments in 'About this Video' are worth reading - as well as the cooking competition they describe how it got hijacked by a colourful slang fest between the invited right wing PP dignitaries and a Catalan left wing group)

http://www.chustgodoy.com/

C/ Boix, 6 - 46003 Valencia

Tel. 96 391 38 15

Fax.96 392 22 39

Google Map

• 1 month later...

can any one help with places that are exciting and modern in the region, iam booked in el poblet and planned my drive to paco`s shop also el raset, is there anywhere i should be looking at please?

perhaps fudd?

i have a car so anywhere with in the region is fine, will do a traditional on one day also

thanks for any guidance marc

can any one help with places that are exciting and modern in the region, iam booked in el poblet and planned my drive to paco`s shop also el raset, is there anywhere i should be looking at please?

perhaps fudd?

i have a car so anywhere with in the region is fine, will do a traditional on one day also

I would give extremely strong first hand recommendations for Ca Sento in Valencia and Monastrell in Alicante for the kind of food that you seek and a strong second-hand recommendation for La Sirena in Petrer, which is essentially around the corner from Torreblanca's shop.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

perhaps fudd?

Ca Sento is still the best option in Valencia. Riff is also a good choice as well as Askua, an Etxebarri wannabe in the mediterranean version.

Fudd is a nice and very affordable option, but there is no other choice but the daily changing menu.

Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

In Alicante there is

Nou Manolin

http://www.noumanolin.com/index.php?seccion=menus

It's been a while since I've eaten there, but a quick look on the internet shows that it's still well regarded and has even spawned an off shoot.

A lot of restaurants have opened in Alicante in the last couple of years, one of the most intriguing is

La Ereta in the newly built Ereta park near the top of the mountain where Santa Barbara castle is.

The views should be wonderful

Some photos here: http://trashjimmy.blogspot.com/2006/12/la-ereta.html

and here: http://juancarlossoler7.blogspot.com/2008/...e-la-ereta.html

I've not been and would be curious to learn of anyone's opinion

A photo montage here

And positive reviews here: http://www.taula.es/Noticias/noticia.php?noti=26

Edited by MoGa (log)

In Alicante there is

Nou Manolin

http://www.noumanolin.com/index.php?seccion=menus

It's been a while since I've eaten there, but a quick look on the internet shows that it's still well regarded and has even spawned an off shoot.

A lot of restaurants have opened in Alicante in the last couple of years, one of the most intriguing is

La Ereta in the newly built Ereta park near the top of the mountain where Santa Barbara castle is.

The views should be wonderful

Some photos here: http://trashjimmy.blogspot.com/2006/12/la-ereta.html

and here: http://juancarlossoler7.blogspot.com/2008/...e-la-ereta.html

I've not been and would be curious to learn of anyone's opinion

A photo montage here

And positive reviews here: http://www.taula.es/Noticias/noticia.php?noti=26

erate looks quite interesting, you sure have the views there and the decor looks good but i wonder if the tastes are there?

erate looks quite interesting, you sure have the views there and the decor looks good but i wonder if the tastes are there?

Couldn't find any negative reviews anywhere (apart from a few predictable comments about portion sizes), not a bad sign.

Edited by MoGa (log)

perhaps fudd?

I would give extremely strong first hand recommendations for Ca Sento in Valencia and Monastrell in Alicante for the kind of food that you seek and a strong second-hand recommendation for La Sirena in Petrer, which is essentially around the corner from Torreblanca's shop.

hi do you know if sa cento has a web site i cant seem to find one cheers

perhaps fudd?

I don't believe that they do, but here is the page from the Campsa Guide.

Twitter - @docsconz

perhaps fudd?

I don't believe that they do, but here is the page from the Campsa Guide.

many thanks john that has all the answers

• 2 weeks later...

just returned form valencia and had some great food, el poblet was not quite what i had hoped it to be maybe i hyped it too much in my own my mind, loved the place and the kitchen which i was very nosey into,service there is first rate with the rm coming from the fat duck, but yes there is a but everydish seemed to be a technique lead execution and yes it is very clever and there is no shortage of toys creating the finished article, though flavour wise it wasnt all singing on note for me, the forest dish though is superb and ice berg a twist on a el bulli dish id seen last year was very good, just didnt leave me as excited as say roca taste wise

but my goodness the chocolate panettone from paco is seriously brilliant, tried his gateaux and some chocolates but the star for sure is the panettone.

ca sento had me worried at the begining when the taxi dropped me off in a street with 2 staring gangs of youths and little sign of a restaurant i started to fear ive been dropped in the wrong spot lol, though once inside it is a different story and enjoyed the full tasting menu, the main difference to poblet was this for me anyhow is very produce driven rather than technique, superb fresh fish and great beef, bread is excellent here to, visited a new restaurant near valencia too which name escapes me now but was a stunning lunch with simple preperation and produce to die for

Couldn't find any negative reviews anywhere (apart from a few predictable comments about portion sizes), not a bad sign.

i got lost lost trying to get to etra and with my pigeon spanish ended up missing my lunch date shame i will keep the link for next time

just returned form valencia and had some great food, el poblet was not quite what i had hoped it to be maybe i hyped it too much in my own my mind, loved the place and the kitchen which i was very nosey into,service there is first rate with the rm coming from the fat duck, but yes there is a but everydish seemed to be a technique lead execution and yes it is very clever and there is no shortage of toys creating the finished article, though flavour wise it wasnt all singing on note for me, the forest dish though is superb and ice berg a twist on a el bulli dish id seen last year was very good, just didnt leave me as excited as say roca taste wise

but my goodness the chocolate panettone from paco is seriously brilliant, tried his gateaux and some chocolates but the star for sure is the panettone.

ca sento had me worried at the begining when the taxi dropped me off in a street with 2 staring gangs of youths and little sign of a restaurant i started to fear ive been dropped in the wrong spot lol, though once inside it is a different story and enjoyed the full tasting menu, the main difference to poblet was this for me anyhow is very produce driven rather than technique, superb fresh fish and great beef, bread is excellent here to, visited a new restaurant near valencia too which name escapes me now but was a stunning lunch with simple preperation and produce to die for

My feelings, exactly.

Twitter - @docsconz

i got lost lost trying to get to etra and with my pigeon spanish ended up missing my lunch date shame i will keep the link for next time

Now I feel guilty for not explaining that finding this place is by no means straightforward.

Ereta park and the restaurant are relatively new, and they are situated near the 'casco antiguo' - the old part of town, which has also been renovated comparatively recently.

I was taking my first steps having been bedbound/in a wheelchair for over a year so whilst I saw the restaurant from the park, didn't actually get to it on my last visit.

I'm not sure if it's best approached from the park (which seemed to be closed off when I was there but still had lots of people walking around it - including my husband and me) or from the castle itself.

I'd recommend anyone going for the first time to call the restaurant, or ask your concierge to and get advice from them.

Map here: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&ge...012531&t=h&z=17