• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korean Bar-b-q on Little River Turnpike

There's the place at Annandale Rd and Rt 50 that I like, called Secret Garden, we discussed this a while back. Is that Hee Been--not sure of the non-Anglicized name...

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

• 4 weeks later...

Han Sun Oak in Falls Church is authentic and very dependable (try it on a Sunday night when it's packed with Korean families and often has a Korean tourbus parked outside).

If you're further east, I've been hooked on place on Ritchie Highway in Glen Burnie that has no English name on the outside other than "Korean Restaurant" but features a cartoon logo of a duck's wiggling rear end. Therefore I call it "Duck Butts." (I think really it's called Blue Garden).

It's quite new, spacious (perhaps overly so; it never seems as busy as it should be), and while you can't grill at the table, it boasts and extensive menu and tons of interesting panchan to start the meal. They even bring out a pair of pan-grilled fish, which I think might be smelt, on the house.

When I was dining at Sam & Harry's store in Tysons (OK not exactly Little River TPK, but not that far away) on its last night, I asked what was going to happen to the space. It's going to become one BIG Korean Barbecue joint. Stay tuned.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

I just called Hee Been because this thread brought on a sudden, fierce little hwe naengmyun craving. They don't have any naenmyun, bibim or otherwise, until Saturday :angry::angry: It's the middle of summer! What are they thinking?!

Edit: ok. Sorak Garden and Han Sung Oak both have it. Which should I go to? never been to either one.

Edited by eunny jang (log)

When I was dining at Sam & Harry's store in Tysons (OK not exactly Little River TPK, but not that far away) on its last night, I asked what was going to happen to the space. It's going to become one BIG Korean Barbecue joint. Stay tuned.

Sam & Harry's at Tyson is closed?

OK, listen up people - Sorak Garden should be SoROCK Garden. Because, well, they rock. Great, varied and delicious panchan, even for a single diner. Excellent, fresh-tasting kimchi. A very, very generous hand with the hwe in the hwe naengmyun. Pretty, if sort of cheesy, interior. Sweet waitresses. GREAT prices. My only complaints: the yooksu (boiling hot, salty beef broth served in a cup with cold bibim naengmyun to tame the chili in the sauce) was sort of wan; and maybe that it was a little too authentically Korean - they don't seem to have a non-smoking section to speak of, and people were lighting up all over the place.

When I was dining at Sam & Harry's store in Tysons (OK not exactly Little River TPK, but not that far away) on its last night, I asked what was going to happen to the space.  It's going to become one BIG Korean Barbecue joint.  Stay tuned.

Yes "Sam" and "Harry" are divorced. Caucus Room remains -- not sure who got custody. Don't know about the store on 19th. Another Harry's Tap Room soon to open on Rt. 7.

Edited to add: The new Tap Room will be in the space formerly occupied by Seven.

Edited by FunJohnny (log)

When I was dining at Sam & Harry's store in Tysons (OK not exactly Little River TPK, but not that far away) on its last night, I asked what was going to happen to the space.  It's going to become one BIG Korean Barbecue joint.  Stay tuned.

Yes "Sam" and "Harry" are divorced. Caucus Room remains -- not sure who got custody. Don't know about the store on 19th. Another Harry's Tap Room soon to open on Rt. 7.

I thought the Caucus Room was owned by a bunch of lobbyists but managed by Sam & Harry's. So far as I know, 19th Street is still there. I ran into one of the their bartenders a few weeks ago and he did not mention that there was any issue. Their website still says that there is a DC location (but the picture is of the Tyson's location which not longer show up). They must have just closed the Tyson's location.

"The Caucus Room was inspired by a vision to create a first class dining institution where democrats and republicans could come together over a great meal. The restaurant is owned by Michael Sternberg and Larry Work (proprietors, Sam & Harry's Restaurant Group), prominent Democrat Tom Boggs, former Republican National Committee Chairman Haley Barbour, Ed Mathias from The Carlyle Group and a team of local investors."

From the Caucus Room's Website

Edited by Free Wilma (log)

They must have just closed the Tyson's location.

Saturday before last -- a cheerful wake was held where much of the best of the wine cellar was consumed at half-price.

]"The Caucus Room was inspired by a vision to create a first class dining institution where democrats and republicans could come together over a great meal. The restaurant is owned by Michael Sternberg and Larry Work (proprietors, Sam & Harry's Restaurant Group), prominent Democrat Tom Boggs, former Republican National Committee Chairman Haley Barbour, Ed Mathias from The Carlyle Group and a team of local investors."

From the Caucus Room's Website

Well, at least I was half right. I know some of the folks on the "team of investors."

Il Mee Buffet on Little River Turnpike. It's good, not necessarily the best. It's a buffet featuring sushi, all you can eat Korean BBQ, and Korean dishes (ex: jap chae). Yes, I must admit that I am a sucker for a good buffet. Even after reading Tony Bourdain's warning on buffets!