• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rehoboth Beach Pizza

Nognig

Spending the summer in Rehoboth Beach and can't find good pizza. We live in Philadelphia and are used to Lombardi's and Pietro's. Is there any place in RB or nearby that makes thin-crust, crispy pizza with fresh sausage/pepperoni/cheese possibly in a brick or coal oven, or are we doomed to eat Grotto/Nicola/Domino's? Someone recommended Isabella's in Bethany Beach -- anyone familiar? Thanks.

Grottos is not philly style, but still some darn good pizza, actually I'd say better than anything I ever had in Philly, I wouldn't dare put it in that Dominos category ;).

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I'm way behind on the learning curve when it comes to pizza, particularly here in RB. And I admit it.

Running through the phone book, the only pizzaria that lists a "brick oven" is Mancini's, down in Fenwick. (907 Coastal Highway, Fenwick, 537 4224).

The only satisfying pizza experience I've had so far was at Dogfish Head (320 Rehoboth Blvd, RB, 226 2739). Theirs is a "gourmet" style pizza, thin crust and wood grilled. Their menu is at the following page: http://www.dogfish.com/food/index.cfm

Hope this helps.

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

Grottos is not philly style, but still some darn good pizza, actually I'd say better than anything I ever had in Philly, I wouldn't dare put it in that Dominos category ;).

I think Gotto's varies significantly by location. The Bethany shop puts out some poor product, at least a few years ago it did. Right on the Domino's plane. This was three+ years ago.

Just got back from 3 days in South Bethany. Rain, rain and more rain meant more time for home cooked lobster, shrimp, steaks, corn, etc.

The food is pretty good at Dogfish Head (and the pizzas are probably among the best things on the menu), but after a horrible experience there a few weeks ago, I can't imagine ever going back. The service wasn't just bad, it was...oblivious in spite of several conversations with the manager.

If you do go, for your own sake: avoid the noisy-as-hell upstairs dining room.