• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Domestic sparklers

CtznCane

While we (my SO and myself) enjoy all wines, Champagne style wine is the one area we most strongly agree on. As such we are continually seeking out Domestic sparkers both to drink and to visit the wineries. (Living in NorCal is a big help.) We have both tried and visited most of the main NorCal producers but more and more places seem to have a sparkler nowadays. We would love to hear of other peoples favorite sparkling wine.

While we've found many fine California Sparklers a few of them really stand out (which is probably why we joined their wine clubs.) Our top 4 are:

1. Schramsberg. All of their sparklers are excellent. Their Mirabelle (Brut) is the most affordable and can be found for under $15. Seldom do I say an $80 bottle of wine is worth it but their J Schram fits the bill. Simply exquisiite! Schramsberg is also a wonderful winery to visit.

2. J. Wine & Vineyards. They only produce a Brut and a soon to be discontinued Brut Rose but they are top flight. (Only sparklers here but there Pinot Noir is second to none.)

3. Gloria Ferrer. Gloria Ferrer wines are more on the affordable side for their low end (when purchased at retail outlets) and they have several upper tier sparklers that also come in below their higher priced counterparts. If you ever get the chance to visit their facility they also are a most pleasant host. We've also found their wine club to be a great value.

4. Korbel - We list Korbel as we feel that bang for the buck you can't beat them for a more affordable everyday sparkler. When you consider being able to buy (at least what we feel is) a good sparkling wine for under 10 dollars, we like that idea. While we enjoy several of their sparklers, their Sec is what we usually drink.

There are many others we've enjoyed, and some close to our top 4, but I'd like to hear from others. There are also 2 that I've been less than impressed with.

1. Mumm's. I didin't feel their higher end sparklers like their DVX were all that good. Their low end was pleasant but we were frankly disappointed with their other wines.

2. Domaine Chandon. - While I'm fond of their bland de noir their other sparklers don't do that much for me. Perhaps I'm also influenced from what I find at their winery to be an uppity and aloof attitude by the staff.

Hope to hear others input on Sparkling wines. We are especially interested in ones from Oregon and Washington (we hope to drive through their in Sept) and the Paso Robles area as we have family there.

Charles aka CtznCane

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

Where is Iron Horse in your line-up. I like all their sparkling wines, but am a big fan of the Blanc de blancs.

I mentioned there were others that were "close" well let me tell you, Iron Horse is right up there. Besides being up there wine wise, it may have the most spectacular of all the vistas from any ... er... do I say it as "champagne" maker's vineyard. My apologies to those who say Chamapange is only from France.

Iron Horse is right up there at the upper level for us. So too is Domaine Carneros which is Taittinger's Amercan counterpart.

A few other wineries whose single sparkling wine output is nice are Paradise Ridge's Blanc de Blanc and Matanzas Creek's blanc de blanc. Additionally, in the Livermore Valley is a winery that is called "White Crane" which has a second label called "Winery 21." The Winery 21 produces a sparkling wine that at $16 is nice. It is crisp, lively, and a good value.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

Additionally, in the Livermore Valley is a winery that is called "White Crane" which has a second label called "Winery 21." The Winery 21 produces a sparkling wine that at $16 is nice. It is crisp, lively, and a good value.

This one is intriguing for me -- a fellow eGulleter, WNissen, lives near Livermore, but I'm curious... Charles, do you know if this is available in Napa anywhere? I'd like to try it.

I don't know anything about wine, but two years ago I was at Domaine Caneros and tried a pink sparkler called Le Reve which was really nice.

Hate to disagree... the La Reve is a blanc de blanc and their rosé is just a brut rosé - the two are different. The La Reve (translated: The Dream) is a small-case produced sparkler that is not distributed, quite expensive, and my favorite treat with caviar! :raz:

Domaine Carneros

my favorite california sparkler by far (and my house pour) is roederer estate. at around $20 a bottle, nothing else comes close. like the rose with food, too. the tete de cuvee, l'ermitage, is much richer, but not quite as lively. maybe a wine for important toasts, rather than food.

The domaine caneros is a informative site. Never knew that Le Reve cost $50 a bottle. Looks like I should have stocked up while I was dating the guy who could get those things at a discount.

Must visit the west coast more often.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

Additionally, in the Livermore Valley is a winery that is called "White Crane" which has a second label called "Winery 21."  The Winery 21 produces a sparkling wine that at $16 is nice.  It is crisp, lively, and a good value.

This one is intriguing for me -- a fellow eGulleter, WNissen, lives near Livermore, but I'm curious... Charles, do you know if this is available in Napa anywhere? I'd like to try it.

They are online at www.vineyardinn-craneridge.com/

hope that helps

My favorites, by a longshot is Cliff Lede, formerly known as S. Anderson. They run a little over $20, usually.

Also, for fancier and more expensive, Barry Jackson at Equinox, here in Santa Cruz County, really knows what he's doing. They're glorious sparkling wines.

Thanks for the Equinox reference. I want to go to the former S Anderson winery but Equinox is not one I'm familiar with yet but it sounds nice.

my favorite california sparkler by far (and my house pour) is roederer estate. at around $20 a bottle, nothing else comes close. like the rose with food, too. the tete de cuvee, l'ermitage, is much richer, but not quite as lively. maybe a wine for important toasts, rather than food.

I thought Roederer was okay. My SO did not care for their wines though she liked their pinot noir.

We drove up there 2 weeks ago. A beautiful site, quite removed from the rest of the north coast wine country up in the Alexander vallley. The Alexander valley is towards the coast of Mendocino, a good hour and a half drive form the Alexander Valley/Russian River area.

The French houses now in California are Domaine Carneros/Taittinger, Domaine Chandon/Moet Chandon, Roederer Estate/Roederer, and Mumm's/Mumm's. Surprisingly, perhaps, we have found Gloria Ferer, the American couterpart to Freixenet to be the best of the couterparts. If we were to rate them We'd go:

1. Gloria Ferrer

2. Domaine Carneros

3. Roederer Estate

4. Domaine Chandon

5. Mumm's

Granted this is subjective. Gloria Ferrer though we feel stands out not only quality wise but pirce wise as well. Domaine Carneros is a bit prcey but they have the goods. Roederer Estate I think is good but not great.

An arugment can be made though for Roederer. There I think it is a matter of styale. Regardless of style I would rate Schramsberg, J wine, and Iron Horse above Roederer. I feel very strongly that our own american "chamapgne style" wines are better than their French coutnerparts. Sorry world but we've caught them and surpassed them.

Additionally, in the Livermore Valley is a winery that is called "White Crane" which has a second label called "Winery 21."  The Winery 21 produces a sparkling wine that at $16 is nice.  It is crisp, lively, and a good value.

They are online at www.vineyardinn-craneridge.com/

hope that helps

Yeah except for two things... now that it is summer I wouldn't risk having wine shipped ANYWHERE and secondly, I tend towards the cheap and wish to buy things I can get discounts on (local stuff, being in the industry and all that...)

I'm currently 7 months pregnant and have cut my wine consumption from 3 glasses a night to 1 glass every month (none during the first trimester). The first thing I will drink when I can is Schramsberg. It may be in the friggin labor and delivery room with me. Maybe I can convince the nursing staff that the jacuzzi should be used as a really big champagne bucket.

I do have an Iron Horse Wedding Cuvee hidden somewhere too.

Outside of California:

Gruet - from NM, great QPR and quite widely available.

Argyle Brut - Willamette Valley, OR

Various producers in the Finger Lakes (NYS), especially Chateau Frank (related to Konstantin Frank's - the pricing here is getting out of control, however) and Glenora. The cool climate is a big advantage for making sparkling wine.

Cheers,

Joe Moryl

Welcome to eGullet, Citizin Cane.

My favorites from California are Iron Horse, Roederer Estate, and S. Anderson (I know it is now Cliff Lede, but I haven't had any under that label). A visit to all of them is a good time.

Glroia Ferrer makes sparkling wines that age fairly well, which is always a bonus.

I'm not in the Schramsburg camp. I find their wines to be too sweet.

Chandon is okay. Their Etoile is my favorite, and shows more elegance than their other wines.

J is a great visit, particularly for the fun with food pairing.

What I'm most curious about is Pacific Echo. They used to be Sharffenberger then changed their name. As Sharffenberger, the wines were reviewed very well, but that stopped with the name change. I've not had any Pacific Echo, so I can't personally comment.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Outside of California:

Various producers in the Finger Lakes (NYS), especially Chateau Frank (related to Konstantin Frank's - the pricing here is getting out of control, however) and Glenora. The cool climate is a big advantage for making sparkling wine.

Cheers,

Joe Moryl

Joe, glad to see you posting here. Welcome.

But I'm surprised there aren't any NY wines on your list.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Outside of California:

Cheers,

Joe Moryl

The Finger Lakes are in Ithaca, so those are NY wines.

Konstantin Frank provided some of the wines for the Outstanding in the Field farm dinner at Stone Barns last year.

Yummmmmmy.

Outside of California:

Cheers,

Joe Moryl

The Finger Lakes are in Ithaca, so those are NY wines.

Konstantin Frank provided some of the wines for the Outstanding in the Field farm dinner at Stone Barns last year.

Yummmmmmy.

My bad. I was reading too fast, and just saw Gruet and Argyle. I know Joe likes his Finger Lakes wines.

Welcome to eGullet, Citizin Cane.

My favorites from California are Iron Horse, Roederer Estate, and S. Anderson (I know it is now Cliff Lede, but I haven't had any under that label). A visit to all of them is a good time.

Glroia Ferrer makes sparkling wines that age fairly well, which is always a bonus.

I'm not in the Schramsburg camp. I find their wines to be too sweet.

Chandon is okay. Their Etoile is my favorite, and shows more elegance than their other wines.

J is a great visit, particularly for the fun with food pairing.

What I'm most curious about is Pacific Echo. They used to be Sharffenberger then changed their name. As Sharffenberger, the wines were reviewed very well, but that stopped with the name change. I've not had any Pacific Echo, so I can't personally comment.

I haven't had a chance to try the S Anderson (as I understand it still goes under that label even though CLiff Lede owns it now) nor have I tried the Pacific Echo. We drove up to Roederer a couple of weeks ago and Pacific Echo which is nearby on the same road was closed. Apparently their tasting room is closed for the summer.

I haven't noticed the Schramsberg being overly sweet. Especially when it comes to the J Schram or their Reserve. In their Bland De Noir or Blanc de Blanc perhaps as I prefer that style more than the Brut style.

Has anyone else tried the Frank Family wines? They are just north of St Helena at the old Hans Kornell winery on Larkmead lane. Sparkling and still wines. Great tasting room and excellent wines.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

when i graduated from culinary school, i received a number of verrry nice bottles of champagne. we decided to hold a blind tasting, and stuck a bottle of piper sonoma in there, just to mix things up.

now several of these bottles were $100+ (and this was some time ago, so allow for inflation)..pol roger, vieuve clicquot.etc.

the overall winner was the piper...much to the chagrin of my favorite, very french, chef instructor, who was in attendance. (now, some folks had another favorite, but the piper received the most votes, overall.)

so now i have this ladies group that mets on fridays to bitch, drink, eat, and knock the rough corners off the week, and what do we drink? piper, and keep it coming!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook