• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Dogs in Philly

John

It is the same crappy dog, and I agree they should have upgraded it. It was pointed out to me that the Phillies have a contract with Hatfield. But Hatfield makes an exceptional hot dog that they could have provided Citizens Bank with.

This topic was discussed in depth here:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Vote-for-Phillys-new-signature-hot-dog-m576360.aspx

John the hot dog guy

• 2 months later...

Dropped by the Dapper Dogs cart, up at 2nd and Poplar a while back.

They are open at some great hours -

wednesday: 11a-2pm

Thursday: 8pm-2am

Fri-Sat: 8pm-3am

I'm not sure why there aren't more hot dog stands or taco trucks or whatever open after 2am on weekends, but I'm glad these guys are.

The hot dogs are grilled, which is a big plus in my book. And they have some very interesting toppings.

I tried the Chicago Dog.

DapperDog-ChicagoR.jpg

It's very tasty, but, as much as I hate to be a nudge, it doesn't really come across as a Chicago Dog. Yes, it has many of the signature ingredients, although the relish is not a lurid enough shade of green, and the peppers aren't quite right, but the biggest problem is the roll. Until I ate this hot dog I hadn't realized how important the poppyseed bun is to a Chicago dog. These dogs are served in a good roll, it's actually a nice hunk of bread, but that's not always the right thing for a hot dog. It can kind-of overwhelm the meat and other fillings, and in this specific circumstance, it's just not the right flavor and texture. It's not a bad thing to eat, but it doesn't quite make it to Chicago dog.

The Coney Island Express worked better. It has chili, banana peppers and cheddar cheese, which are hearty enough to seem at home in the more substantial roll. I like the level of heat that the peppers added, and it's decent chili, so, overall, this was pretty tasty if you like a chili dog.

DapperDog-ChiliR.jpg

When I was there, around midnight on a saturday, it was pretty quiet, so I don't know how efficient they are with a big line. It took a couple of minutes, because although there were dogs started on the grill, they split them and finished them to order, which I liked. The staff was very nice.

I'm just thrilled that there's a place to get a decent hot dog late at night. I could go for a couple of additional locations... but hey, I'll take what I can get for now!

http://www.thedapperdog.org/

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

What I still crave to see in Philadelphia is a true, "Newark" Italian dog, like that served by Tommy's in Elizabeth or Jimmy Buff's in Hanover at their four locations in Essex, Union and Morris counties. Half a "pizza roll" (ciabatta like, but lighter and half-moon shaped) filled with a deep fried Best beef frank and adorned by fried potatoes, onions and peppers.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

What I still crave to see in Philadelphia is a true, "Newark" Italian dog, like that served by Tommy's in Elizabeth or Jimmy Buff's in Hanover at their four locations in Essex, Union and Morris counties. Half a "pizza roll" (ciabatta like, but lighter and half-moon shaped) filled with a deep fried Best beef frank and adorned by fried potatoes, onions and peppers.

That's actually East Hanover for Jimmy Buff's, says the native son (who remembers when its location was Lone Pine Farm).

I feel spoiled that I have access to these places. Charlies (which I had today), and Tommy's are less than 3 miles from my house. Jimmy Buff's isn't much further. The Travel Channel's Food Wars program will feature Jimmy Buff's vs. Charlies Famous. It will be shown in late August. I hope a lot of people will watch as the program will show and explain the Italian Hot Dog. Hopefully it's popularity will spread.

John the hot dog guy

Yes, Bob. It was sold and the new owner has brought the quality back to where it was. One of the three best along with Tommy's and Jimmy Buff's

John the hot dog guy

Finally tried a "Tuscan Tony" at Paesano's.

Paesanos-TuscanTony.jpg

Grilled all-beef hot dog, sopressata, Bolognese sauce, sharp provolone, hot peppers.

I liked the spice from the hot peppers, but they were getting a little overwhelming, so I ended up taking about half of them off, and I felt that it put the flavors back in balance. I was just complaining upthread about a big, hearty roll being wrong for a hot dog, but for this particular version, the hefty, seeded Liscio's roll is just exactly right.

It was delicious, and I totally look forward to getting this again, except that there are so many other excellent sandwiches there...

Paesano's

901 Christian St

http://modomiorestaurant.com/paesanos_italian_market_location

or

152 West Girard Avenue

http://modomiorestaurant.com/paesanos_girard_ave_location

philadining.com

• 7 months later...

PretzelAndDogCafe.jpg

Vienna Beef hot dog? Check.

Weird green relish? Check.

Sport Peppers? Check.

Tomato? Check.

Celery Salt? Check.

Pickle spear? hmmm, missing...

Poppy Seed Bun? yes, but kind of stiff...

So close to a really good Chicago hot dog! I'll give them another chance.

The Original Pretzels and Dogs Cafe. Phoenixville.

philadining.com

I think every poppy seed hot dog bun I have ever tried outside of metropolitan Chicago has been at least a bit stale or too long in the bun warmer. I'm curious if anyone makes them locally or if they are all frozen and shipped in from Chicago along with the Vienna franks

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter