• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker Attachment

natasha1270

I just saw there is an ice cream attachment available for KitchenAid Stand Mixers.

from the recent Chef's Catalog:

KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker Attachment for Stand Mixer

Revolutionary attachment converts any KitchenAid stand mixer to an ice cream maker.

• Makes up to 2 quarts of fresh, pure, soft-consistency ice cream in 30 minutes.

• Attachment includes drive assembly, dasher, and Freeze Bowl.

• Drive assembly attaches to the mixer's motor head to rotate the dasher for thorough mixing, spreading, and scraping.

• A specially formulated liquid within the Freeze Bowl's double walls ensures thorough, even freezing. To freeze the liquid, just place the bowl in your freezer.

• If you prefer hard ice cream, transfer it to an airtight container and store in freezer for 2 to 4 hours.

• Dasher, drive assembly, and Freeze Bowl adapter ring are dishwasher safe. Freeze Bowl must be hand-washed.

Does anyone have this yet? I would love to retire my Krups…

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Here's a link to the KitchenAid site for this product.

I had not heard of this before and would be curious as to why a $99 attachment might be better than this Krups $60.00 model or this Cuisinart $80 model. or even this Cuisinart $50 model.

I've been wanting an ice cream maker for some time. I know I can't afford the Delonghi $250 model or any in that bracket - but would love to hear what people have to say about theirs'!

Here's a link to the KitchenAid site for this product.

I had not heard of this before and would be curious as to why a $99 attachment might be better than this Krups $60.00 model or this Cuisinart $80 model. or even this Cuisinart $50 model.

I've been wanting an ice cream maker for some time. I know I can't afford the Delonghi $250 model or any in that bracket - but would love to hear what people have to say about theirs'!

I have a cheapo $20 model from Wal-Mart (don't remember the manufacturer - Waring, maybe?) that works pretty well for me. We picked it because it was large enough to satisfy me and inexpensive enough to satisfy my husband. :laugh: It makes good ice cream, and I only have two complaints about it. First, the way the canister sits in the ice and the motor mount sits down over the canister means that once it's together, it's together until the ice cream is done. You can't take the lid off partly through the freezing process to add nuts without knocking everything out of alignment and having to empty the ice and start all over. The second thing is the requirement for ice and salt. Not a big deal, but if you get the wrong kind of salt there will be icky insoluble chunks of dark mineral that are a messy disposal problem. (Do use ice cream salt, not rock salt!) Since I generally make ice cream only when the summer fruit is at its best, the choice has been satisfactory.

My mother has the $50 Cuisinart (ICE-20). It makes terrific ice cream and does not have either of the inconveniences I noted above. When I replace my machine, that's what I'm getting. The extra bowls come in useful for making multiple batches quickly. Why spend more?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

It seems to have somewhat larger capacity than the Krups or Cuisinart, but otherwise not sure what the advantage is. I have the Krups, and one of the things I like about it is that I can actually run it inside my freezer, so the canister does not thaw while churning. The motor and beater are obviously less heavy-duty than the KA, but for a quart or so of ice cream, that doesn't really matter that much.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

Of the smaller models, I have and like the Krups. I wasn't sold on the design of the paddles in the Cuisinart being sturdy enough. That said, if you were to buy the cuisinart at Williams Sonoma in the not too distant future, you would receive and additional freezer bowl at no extra cost. The cost is $49.95.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been intrigued by the KA one as well, and saw it in the Chef's Catalogue store last weekend.

Here's what appeals to me:

1) 2 quart capacity (bigger than the rest)

2) it takes up A LOT less room in the kitchen: the bowl stays in the freezer, and the paddle attachment goes in your cubbord. Far smaller than the Cuisinart or any of the others. Krups comes close, but it seems like it's a bit of a problem to get the lid on correctly.

All that said, I still didn't buy it. Not sure I can justify one more appliance, when I'm not a huge ice cream fan.

Still, I keep going back to take a look...

Edited by Batuta (log)

1) 2 quart capacity (bigger than the rest)

This actually isn't much of an advantage for the home as it seems, unless you're expecting to serve a lot at once. Homemade ice cream doesn't keep well for long in a home freezer--the low temps and cycling make fresh ice cream turn icy. It's better to make only as much as you're going to eat in a small amount of time.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

Okay, I guess I'm the only one who still uses the old bucket, ice, and salt machine. I can't really say i've ever tried to make creams or sorbets with any other machine. I keep two of them at work. Always plenty of ice and salt there. It is kind of a pain when i make it at home tho. Can't say i really have that "icy" problem when storing my stuff in the freezer at home. (maybe it just doesn't hang around that long:) Just made a Black Plum sorbet last week with some really ripe plums. sooooo good.

...and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce it tastes alot more like prunes than rhubarb does. groucho

I got lucky. I watched eBay auctions for quite a while and finally saw a DeLonghi self contained ice cream maker up for bid. Brand new in box, from a store closing and they were liquidating their inventory. I watched the auction until the final minutes and bid. Got it for $99 including shipping! What a steal!

I've used it a lot. Just turn it on. Wait 5 minutes for it to chill up. Pour in your stuff. 25 minutes later you have ice cream. It's also great when it comes time to add ingredients in the final moments, like chocolate, caramel, nuts, or whatever. Just add them through the feed opening.

It's great!

I agree with Moopheus.....part of the joy of homemade ice cream is making the amount you want to eat in a short period of time.

• 1 year later...

I am awaiting for mine to arrive. When I bought KA Pro 600 not too long ago, they had an offer for free attachment (either the pasta maker or the ice-cream maker). I bought the KA brand new on eBay and it was a steal (especially considering KA isn't really readily available here and cost a bomb). I can't wait to try it. And will report back when I have.

Edited by JustKay (log)

Okay, I guess I'm the only one who still uses the old bucket, ice, and salt machine.  I can't really say i've ever tried to make creams or sorbets with any other machine.  I keep two of them at work.  Always plenty of ice and salt there.  It is kind of a pain when i make it at home tho.  Can't say i really have that "icy" problem when storing my stuff in the freezer at home.  (maybe it just doesn't hang around that long:)  Just made a Black Plum sorbet last week with some really ripe plums.  sooooo good.

Bakerboy, you're not alone! I have three "old fashioned" salt and ice type ice cream makers, all three are 2 qt, two electric and one hand-crank for when I used to have kids around to occupy! All three work just as well now as they have for the past 10 years, so how can I complain? I am kicking myself for selling the 5 qt one on Ebay last year. It would be so nice now! Sure it would be nice to have a Delonghi, but I bought these each for less than $8 at yard sales and have had many many happy returns! I make sorbets and ice creams and sherbets with no complaints and many raves. I also have no trouble with iciness, and have stored some sorbets for a month or more with very little loss of texture. They are best within the first two weeks--if they last that long!

I used to make up a couple of gallons of suitable simple syrup which I kept in a refrigerator, then when I had the urge to make sorbet, or some particularly nice fruit came along, I was ready and twenty min. later I was spooning it out!

There is the ice and salt issue, but I used kosher salt which I could buy bulk and it worked fine.

Edited by chefcyn (log)
It's not the destination, but the journey!

Natasha1270,

In the "Cooking" forum there is a thread called: Ice Cream, Gelato, Sherbet--Cook-Off XI. Several posters have the KA ice cream attachment, so I would also post your question on that thread.

I have the Cuisinart $60 one and like it a lot.

I have the KA 600 and got the ice cream attachment as my "free" attachment with the purchase offer another member posted about above. I've used it a couple times. I like it; as someone else mentioned, it does save space versus a standalone ice cream maker. The bowl is larger than most. I found when I made "standard" size recipes that the ice cream didn't reach the middle blade of the paddle, which seemed odd; but the result was plenty fine. Also the paddle (dasher?) doesn't do a great job of getting close to the sides of the bowl, so it takes some effort to get all the product out of the bowl when it's time.

All in all I like it; not sure I would have chosen it if it weren't "free", but hey...