• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brining Pork Butt

scratchline

I'm planning to smoke a pork butt tomorrow. I've never done this before and appreciate all the tips I've picked up here on eGullet. Just wondering what the consensus is on brining the butt overnight before smoking? I thought since it's going to be on the grill for so long, it might keep it from drying out, but maybe you WANT it to dry out and melt all the fat along the way? What do folks think? Thanks in advance.

Mike

Okay, brining has commenced. I bought a boned pork shoulder and since it looks butterflied, I assume I should truss it up before I put it on the grill. Was thinking of wrapping some fresh rosemary branches in the inside for flavor. I've read the source material and hope I'll be enjoying porcine success late tomorrow. Thanks all.

Mike

Just wondering what the consensus is on brining the butt overnight before smoking? I thought since it's going to be on the grill for so long, it might keep it from drying out, but maybe you WANT it to dry out and melt all the fat along the way? What do folks think? Thanks in advance.

Mike

I've never once brined a butt before smoking it and I've never felt the final product suffered in any way. My butts always come out pull-apart tneder and juicy. I just put on the rub the night before smoking and wrap tightly in plastic wrap.

But that's just my experience. Your mileage may vary.