• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wolfberry/Gou Qi Zi

Laksa

My mom would cook them with rice once in a while. Just add them along the rice in the rice cooker. She does it more for the "good for your eyes" thing than the taste. The rice is a little sweet for me, even with soy sauce.

• 10 months later...

Checked my wolfberry bush and it's survived another prairie winter and neglected lawns. It's alive but needs pruning badly. I'll have to leave it until the fall.

The soup variety has been delivered daily to our house by "aunties". It's our spring tonic, just like the first rhubarb. We've had to distribute bags to my students from Beijin just so we don't become tired of gow gai dan fa tang.

Apparently this leaf-only variety is not known outside of Guangdong area? Anyone outside of this area only know the wolfberry, but not this variety.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com