• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's the greatest kitchen gadget to be invented?

puppysurprise

Self-walking dog (returns from morning promenade with plastic-wrapped copy of the NY Times in mouth)!

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

I just bought a Roomba--a robotic vacuum cleaner, and I love the little guy. Looks like an oversized CD player, or maybe a plastic trilobite. He is cute AND useful--cleans up the dog hair while I take a shower or cook dinner.

Greatest gadget yet to be invented--a Roomba who mops.

sparrowgrass

esvoboda Posted: Jul 22 2004, 12:15 AM

Cookware with a 2.5mm thick copper core and stainless steel interior and exterior.

nice idea but could be a problem due to the different expansivity rates of the metals or could just galvanised the copper core?

any metal expert out there as mine is just A-level :raz:

actually i wonder if Egullet should approach a few catering equipment manufacturers and offer to become there focus group/ testers :smile:

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

I wish someone would RE-INVENT the home use large batch potato peeler.

We had one when I was a child, one of my aunts has it and will not part with it, says she will will it to me but the way she is going, she may outlive me.

It just looks like a large pot, rounded top and bottom has a fitted lid with a couple of thick rubber paddles. The inside walls of the pot have an abrasive surface. One filled the pot with potatoes, then with water and cranked the thing, checking through a sliding door in the top to see how the potatoes were comign along.

I mean, you could do 10 pounds of potatoes in a very short period of time, they always had a few stray bits of skin here and there, where the eyes were, but it was quick.

I think they disappeared becaue of smaller families.

I have been haunting ebay, hoping to see one come up, but apparently everyone who has one is hanging onto them for dear life.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

cooking time machine.

i make a mistake and my food is a tad overcooked or simply burnt.

hit the button...whooomp i get another chance

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

Beat me to it...I was gonna say a device that removes burnt and scorched tastes from foods! Because that's the only cooking blunder that can't be fixed. How about a spoon that beeps JUST before your creme anglaise turns into scrambled eggs. :biggrin:

self-cleaning blender- would make me much more inclined to whip up some smoothies and such

Fill 1/2 to 2/3 of the way with warm water. Add one or two drops of dishwashing liquid. Blend. Rinse. Voila, clean blender. Smoothie on.

OK...I have it. I want an "FFD" machine. The Fattening Food Defibrillator. Place one HUGE serving of Fettuccine Alfredo (etc...) in the handy-dandy trough. Press "start". Food is automatically jolted with electricity, de-fattened, and left with all flavor, texture, and integrity. What could be better 'n' this, I ask you!?? Eh?? :cool:

That magic machine where you drop in a whole head of garlic and perfect 1/16th inch diced garlic comes out the other end.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

OK...I have it. I want an "FFD" machine. The Fattening Food Defibrillator. Place one HUGE serving of Fettuccine Alfredo (etc...) in the handy-dandy trough. Press "start". Food is automatically jolted with electricity, de-fattened, and left with all flavor, texture, and integrity. What could be better 'n' this, I ask you!?? Eh?? :cool:

and no calorie carbo :)

I love eating Ice Cream and Pastry in the middle of the night.

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

-Adjust-a-size Tupperware. I own so many of the stupid things to accomodate varying amounts of food.

-Disposable tea kettles.

-Fold-up 'n' go food processors. So few people that I know seem to own one, and I use mine almost everyday. I hate lugging it around when I cook at friends' homes.

-Bring-back-to-life texture saving pellets (made from tasteless herbs grown in the hills surrounding Kyoto and picked by young virgins, of course) for reviving leftover pasta.

-Microbial dipsticks for testing restaurant food. No more of that unsettling and disquieting waiting-for-the-rumble after eating an Indian or a Thai meal.

-Espresso machine that plugs into the car cigarette lighter. For long road trips with really poor prospects as far as decent coffee is concerned.

edited because the fantasies keep coming.

Edited by Verjuice (log)

I'm waiting for a non-caloric (or low caloric), non-carcinogenic, tasteless, colorless food grade heat transfer fluid that's good up to 500 deg F.

Automatic Nobel Prize.

Have you tried air?

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.