• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 2001 Copain Anderson Pinot Noir Dennison

geo t.

2001 Copain Wines Anderson Valley Pinot Noir Dennison Vineyard, 14% alc.: This ever – so – slightly cloudy ruby garnet isn’t one of those syrah – like California pinots that some people feel so obliged to bash. It actually has much more in common with zinfandel in flavor and aroma, with its big, spicy black cherry and raspberry character, and I’m not complaining, mind you. These days, I almost expect aberrations like this from “young Turks” such as Wells Guthrie, and I mean that in the kindest way. Medium to medium – full bodied, this has a moderately earthy underbelly, with only hints of the smoky cola quality that I often associate with many northern Cal pinots, and it’s the red berry that really sets this apart from the crowd. There’re tannins here, to be sure, but they don’t intrude that much on the pleasure of drinking this tonight, and there’s more than enough acidity to keep it all lively. It finishes nicely, with a little stickly – stemliness, due to the tannins no doubt. I’d suggest that optimum drinking is at least a few years down the road; it certainly has the fruit to go the distance. A very nice wine that dances to a different rhythm than most of the usual suspects.

Reporting from Day-twah,

geo t.

George Heritier aka geo t.

The Gang of Pour