• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

tacos

katabeta

Mixtec definitely hit the spot! I went there tonight after wandering the zoo and had two tacos al pastor (pork with those soft corn tortillas) with beans and rice. If you guys haven't tried their horchata I highly recommend it, it was nice and cinnamony. And the service was definitely friendly. I'll be trying El Charrito or the 7th/Eastern market one this weekend.

Strengthen me with raisins,

refresh me with apples,

for I am faint with love.

Yesterday's Washington Post Food section had a nice article on the Little Mexico area just across the district line in Prince Georges county, Bladensburg and Riverdale.

Free registration for the online Post required:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...2-2004Aug3.html

Scorpio

You'll be surprised to find out that Congress is empowered to forcibly sublet your apartment for the summer.

I've never had tacos there, but if you find yourself in Rosslyn sometime you should try Guajillo on Wilson Blvd for good--and reasonably authentic--Mexican. Mole is a highlight of their menu, in my opinion. Next door to Ray's the Steaks.

Tom Sietsema has this to say about it (from the WaPo web site):

--------------

Tom Sietsema's Annual Dining Guide, Fall 2002:

Tacos, fajitas, burritos -- you can find all the usual Mexican restaurant standbys at this family-run storefront tucked into a small shopping strip. But concentrate on the daily list of specials for a taste of what's best at Guajillo. On any given day it might yield big, tender scallops invigorated with rosemary, wine and a touch of habanero pepper; pork marinated in garlic sauce and roasted in a banana leaf; or delectable crab cakes shaped with cilantro and served with chipotle cream sauce. Guajillo, which takes its name from a burgundy-colored chili pepper, is graciously free of cliches. Forget cheese-heavy dishes and mariachi music. Here patrons sink into deep chairs of cowhide and wood to drink fruity sangria and bracing mojitos and to dip into dusky salsas, soothing pinto beans and one of the spunkiest seviches around. Sound perfect? It's not. Guajillo's haunting mole of ground pumpkin seeds, plantains, nuts and chocolate is wasted on blank-tasting chicken, the service tends to be slow and hesitant, and the room gets noisy at prime time. So dine early if you want some peace with your carne asada.

• 6 months later...

Yum! Don't miss the $3.95 fish tacos (Beer battered fried mahi mahi w/ Mexican slaw & crema pico de gallo on soft corn tortilla) at Taqueria el Poblano in DelRay (Right next to the busty and brillaint cheese place!). The most delicious thing I've had in the $4-20 range in quite sometime. And for dessert, even though it might not be on the menu all the time, ask for the chocolate sorbet (made by Simplicity) with the tequila and lime zest. Sounds gross, but it's like eating a box of truffles half-naked on the playa or something without getting fat or thirsty. Not bad.

(edited for tequila spelling)

Edited by morela (log)

Not to threadjack too hard, but is Sinplicity still open? I went by there at 3:30 today for coffee and they were closed. I know they keep weird hours, but 3:30 on a Saturday? Think they might have switched to a catering-only operation.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Not to threadjack too hard, but is Sinplicity still open? I went by there at 3:30 today for coffee and they were closed.  I know they keep weird hours, but 3:30 on a Saturday? Think they might have switched to a catering-only operation.

To me it sounds like the place has gone catering-style (if they haven't always been). I think Sutton Place (or current establishment) sells their packaged sorbets...

Nonetheless, the sorbet I ate was nice and rich, without being being too icy and I liked it very much. It was almost gooey, but not in a ghetto emulsifier way.