• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

tacos

katabeta

Hi, it's the newbie again with another "where do I go?" question. Last night I had the worst mexican food in my life: gooey tamales, dried out rice, flavorless beans. :huh: Where's a good place to go around here? I'm from California and lived in downtown Los Angeles for four years so I'm pretty spoiled and after a year in Boston I'm really missing Mexican food (or, according to the recent eGullet article on tex-mex, maybe what I'm missing is CA mexican). I want a taco that's on two un-fried corn tortillas, with some carne asada or pork, a searing hot sauce, onion and cilantro, limes, and a salsa bar.

And if someone has a restaurant suggestion, would any of you like to come along to try it?

Strengthen me with raisins,

refresh me with apples,

for I am faint with love.

This forum covers a pretty wide land area, where in the D.C. DelMarVa area are you?

If you are in Delaware - Picnic Mexitacos on Main St. in Newark makes some killer and seemingly authentic Mexican cuisine. I've not enjoyed their tacos, but I used to eat their cuban sandwhiches, burritos, and heuvos rancheros quite often, always left me impressed.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I'm in NW DC, right near the Friendship Heights metro stop.

Thanks

Cactus Cantina at Wisconsin and Newark could be good. I ate there last week, and while I didn't have tacos, it seems like they'd do a good job at them. Popular lore has it that this is the only place Pres. Bush has eaten in the city. Despite that, I recommend them!

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Popular lore has it that this is the only place Pres. Bush has eaten in the city. Despite that, I recommend them!

I think the other recommendations respond to the Taco issue, but just for the record, W. has dined at Mortons Steak House on Connecticut Ave. My brother is a waiter there and reports he's a generous tipper.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Hi, it's the newbie again with another "where do I go?" question. Last night I had the worst mexican food in my life: gooey tamales, dried out rice, flavorless beans. :huh: Where's a good place to go around here? I'm from California and lived in downtown Los Angeles for four years so I'm pretty spoiled and after a year in Boston I'm really missing Mexican food (or, according to the recent eGullet article on tex-mex, maybe what I'm missing is CA mexican). I want a taco that's on two un-fried corn tortillas, with some carne asada or pork, a searing hot sauce, onion and cilantro, limes, and a salsa bar.

And if someone has a restaurant suggestion, would any of you like to come along to try it?

where did you have the crappy mexican?

The tacos you describe (2 unfried corn tortillas + choice of meat + spicy sauce, lime, cilantro) can be found at a restaurant on Washington Blvd in Arlington called El Charrito. They are amazing.

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

I want a taco that's on two un-fried corn tortillas, with some carne asada or pork, a searing hot sauce, onion and cilantro, limes, and a salsa bar.

I've had some decent (and cheap!) tacos of this nature at a truck that occasionally sits at the gas station near the new firehouse in Mt. Ranier (sans salsa bar). Right off Rhode Island, about a block from the circle. They offer all of the ingredients you mention, plus radishes. And tongue.

This probably isn't much of a help to you, though, given its location and uncertain presence. But if you happen to be passing by, keep an eye out.

Try as I may, I cannot force a liking of the double layer unfried corn tortillas. Anyone know where I can get myself a good, crunchy, meaty, cheesy, messy fried corn tortilla taco? (I know it's inauthentic, and I don't give a damn).

had lunch at taqueria poblano on mt vernon ave in del ray the other day. very good pork tacos. 2 main dishes at lunch for $25-thought this was a good deal for the area. i'd drive there from richmond (again ) for mexican food.

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

I've had some decent (and cheap!) tacos of this nature at a truck that occasionally sits at the gas station near the new firehouse in Mt. Ranier (sans salsa bar). Right off Rhode Island, about a block from the circle. They offer all of the ingredients you mention, plus radishes. And tongue.

This probably isn't much of a help to you, though, given its location and uncertain presence. But if you happen to be passing by, keep an eye out.

a new addition to this area that would also satisfy would be what used to be francis' carryout, just opposite the glut food co-op on 34th street off the circle. formerly a hideous 'pizza seafood subs chicken' takeaway called 'francis' carryout' (and in a long lost time ago a fabulous coffee shop run by the most generous of jamaican men) the new place (which very oddly has not painted over the francis' sign: a thought: perhaps francis thought to himself: i should stop recycling garbage and calling it food and actually MAKE something, say something i grew up on...

yes littlechinagirl, you too can escape this feeling, with a little pupusa; i'm a mess without my little pupuseria, i hear them sizzling, loud as thunder, saw the salsa come raining down...

there is no love sincerer than the love of food

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol

yes littlechinagirl, you too can escape this feeling, with a little pupusa; i'm a mess without my little pupuseria, i hear them sizzling, loud as thunder, saw the salsa come raining down...

Awesome.

I've actually never had a pupusa, despite living a few blocks from Mt. Pleasant.

Shame on me.

Is there a specific pupuseria you recommend? My neighbor swears by one in Columbia Heights, but I've yet to venture out...

...to continue...

I stumble into town

with my pantalones down

visions of tamales in my head

flans for everyone

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

The taco joint across 7th from Eastern Market makes great tacos al carbon.

Tortilla Grill (or Cafe?). They also make a great mixed papusa platter, get it with a double order of the plantains...mmmm....yummy.

Then run across the street to Canales Deli inside Eastern Market (owned by the same guy) and get the pork tenderloin sandwich. Equally mmmm....yummy

:laugh:

yeah, I've found that the best tacos come from dirty little trucks and roadside shacks. the fried ones are good too--who doesn't like fried stuff and cheese--just not what I'm craving. there was a beautiful papuseria right next to my favorite taco place in LA, which was on the corner of a busy street. it was basically a little window where you ordered and ate your food on the sidewalk at rickety tables.

the bad mexican food was at guapo's in tenleytown, my friend dragged me in there

refresh me with apples,

Hi, it's the newbie again with another "where do I go?" question.  Last night I had the worst mexican food in my life: gooey tamales, dried out rice, flavorless beans.  :huh:  Where's a good place to go around here?  I'm from California and lived in downtown Los Angeles for four years so I'm pretty spoiled and after a year in Boston I'm really missing Mexican food (or, according to the recent eGullet article on tex-mex, maybe what I'm missing is CA mexican).  I want a taco that's on two un-fried corn tortillas, with some carne asada or pork, a searing hot sauce, onion and cilantro, limes, and a salsa bar.

where did you have the crappy mexican?

The tacos you describe (2 unfried corn tortillas + choice of meat + spicy sauce, lime, cilantro) can be found at a restaurant on Washington Blvd in Arlington called El Charrito. They are amazing.

i second el charrito. so good. i like the goat tacos, beef tacos, and chorizo tacos. oh, and the lorocco pupusas!

-Jason

the bad mexican food was at guapo's in tenleytown, my friend dragged me in there

You know, I actually really like Guapo's for what it is (does that make me a bad person?). My biggest problem with them is that I always leave smelling like a fajita.

You know, I actually really like Guapo's for what it is (does that make me a bad person?). My biggest problem with them is that I always leave smelling like a fajita.

The same thing happens at Cactus. Guapos is best for sitting on the deck and drinking margaritas on sunny days. Eunny, we will still love you if you have to eat there :wink:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

You know, I actually really like Guapo's for what it is (does that make me a bad person?).

you should be locked up.

haha, no, guapo's just wasn't what I was looking for. and man did I order the wrong thing at guapo's. the salsa was pretty good. is that a chain out here or are there just a couple in the city?

by the way THANKS to everyone who's posted suggestions or otherwise responded, I really appreciate it and wish I'd been on eGullet when I was in boston.

refresh me with apples,

I like Mixtec in Adams Morgan (18th Street and Columbia Rd).

:smile: me too. That guy that's always there has a friendly smile and makes me feel extra welcome...

I remember the tacos being quite good, but these days I go alone since it's close to where I live, and I'm really not a lone taco-eater. I save the big deal stuff for mis amigos.

Get to know the soup and stews, though, I promise they're special...

Or you can go to a swanky part of town and have some terrific tacos at Andale, washed down with one of their spot-on margaritas (I like the Slow Madador).

Edited by morela (log)

After Bruni's reveiw of Per Se comes out BDC will be be featuring "Full Tuck Tacos" ala Chef Wabeck.

Jarad C. Slipp, One third of ???

He was a sweet and tender hooligan and he swore that he'd never, never do it again. And of course he won't (not until the next time.) -Stephen Patrick Morrissey

Guapo's is probably the restaurant I've eaten in most in DC, for various reasons (e.g. grandmothers with false teeth who only eat crab imperial or cheese enchiladas; things like that).

I agree that it's totally fine for what it is. I also couldn't agree more about smelling like a piece of mesquite-grilled beef when you leave there. One last thing: I always get ridiculous heartburn in the middle of the night after eating there. I don't know what it is that causes that, but it's invariable.

Awesome.

I've actually never had a pupusa, despite living a few blocks from Mt. Pleasant.

Shame on me.

Is there a specific pupuseria you recommend? My neighbor swears by one in Columbia Heights, but I've yet to venture out...

honestly ive not encountered a pupusa that failed to flavor; nor have i had one that whisked (!) me away to a beach in el salvador. perhaps i'm going to the wrong ones.

but to answer your question, pupuseria san miguel on mt. pleasant road just opposite the raven and todito grocero on columbia next to perry's and cashion's have always delivered the goods.

and the aforementioned francis' carryout, depending on where you live, for it is on the other side of eastern ave in northeast; not a lot of people come out here unless they live here...

there is no love sincerer than the love of food

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol

Oh- I'm at Todito all the time. Next time I'll be sure to try the pupusa (maybe tonight...).

I drove by Francis Carryout last night, when I happened to be in that part of town, but it looked closed. Otherwise, looked the same as it did when I lived there. Man, I miss Glut... good people and that cute little carrot sign...