• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

bbq'ing duck?

gus_tatory

is it feasible/desirable to barbeque duck? i throw myself on your expertise/experience. :smile:

i have a friend who bbq'd duck once and who did everything wrong:

--bird was improperly thawed and hence raw (not rare) inside

--bird was fatty and created, in his words, "enough smoke to be seen by satellite photo" :laugh:

so would you have recs? should i cut it into serving pieces or try it whole? should i prick the skin to release fat, or would this just make a stupid amount of smoke? would a glaze/marinade with a sugar, say maple syrup, aggravate the smoke problem?

*any* notes would be of help. thanks in advance,

gus :biggrin:

edit: corrected spelling of satellite.

Edited by gus_tatory (log)

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

use an indirect heat method. If you spatchcock the duck ( remove backbone and flatten) cook on boney side first. Turnover cook on skin side away from coals and then crisp watching carefully on skin side over cooler coals.

check this thread

duck

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

check this thread

duck

sorry, i did a search. didn't know this had been discussed, but thanks for the link.

that thread answers all my questions so far. :smile:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

Grilled duck breast is great for a quick dinner, but I don't think I'd cook a whole duck on the BBQ. Even roasting a whole duck is not simple, IMO...the breasts and the legs cook at totally different times.

What do you mean by "bbq-ing" the duck? If you mean grilling the duck whole I would suggest steaming it for 5 minutes first and then shocking it in an ice bath. This will remove a lot of the exterior fat from the skin. If you can't steam it then boil it for about 8 minutes and then shock. If you are talking "bbq" in the sense of a dry rub and indirect heat cooking with or without a "mop" use the spray bottle of water if you see too many flare-ups, or lower the heat.

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."