• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Gavroche - The Topic

while everything described here makes my mouth water, I'm wondering if my vegetarian wife would starve here? Their website doesn't seem to list many vegetarian items, let alone enough to make menu exceptional to pair with mine. Would this be a poor choice for us? Thank you.

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd bring this to the top of the tree as I am hoping for some new comments ahead of my visit tomorrow night. Haven't been since a historic evening when both Roux brothers cooked for their fathers and I sat on the same table as Michel Roux Snr.

I'm looking to see if there is any change in direction or if all is as before on the ship LG....

Gav

"A man tired of London..should move to Essex!"

It seems the entire Roux family will be appearing on Friday's Celebrity Masterchef final as judges. Should be interesting....

Yes, it should be interesting. However I think that it is tonight (Thursday) that they will be on the programme, not Friday.

Haven't got much time to expand on my meal last night, but suffice to say the food was magnificent - some of the best dishes I have had and on that showing more on a 3 star level. Interestingly, Michel Roux seems to have moved into a more modern direction while still retaining his classical roots e.g. the steamed scallop with ginger dressing had an oriental edge to it while still being somehow french - reminded me a bit of Maison Bricourt in that respect...

Gav

"A man tired of London..should move to Essex!"

• 8 months later...

HI there, Im off to la gavroche with a mate tonight but im kinda stuck on the dress code, They have said its smart but casual and didnt mention a jacket. As we dont live in london we are having to get the train and underground, its looking to be a rather hot day today and would hate to have to carry a jacket around with me let alone wear one!

Will I be out of place without one?

chris

I am afraid it is still rather formal for men. On my last visit a couple of years back- I saw one of the waiters gently"wrestle" a chap's jacket back on as he tried to remove it.

And I know of people who sat there in the heat of the summer who did have to keep their jackets on. I seem to remember them not being best pleased as the air conditioning wasn't great.

I'd be suprised if this has changed Chris and have fun. I wish I had your dilemma- we are off to the Kielder Forrest this afternoon- where it's supposed to be 9c degrees and continuous rain......

Last time we went, a jacket was compulsary, so I would ring them to check- my husband got cought in a rain shower on the way there and had to sit and lightly steam throughout the meal!!!

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

Thanks guys, I will call them now.

Yeah I must say im VERY excited, I made the discission this year to get off my arse and start going to all these great restaurants Ive been reading about.

So I thought it would be best to start at what I think is the begining, la gavroche! I think that will set a very good standard for the years visiting.

Gentlemen should always wear a jacket unless dining in a kebab shop.

I'm glad the gavroche is enforcing basic manners, the sad thing is that today's customers need to be told how to behave properly.

In hot weather one wears a good quality linen jacket, there is no need to overheat.

S

Gentlemen should always wear a jacket unless dining in a kebab shop.

I'm glad the gavroche is enforcing basic manners, the sad thing is that today's customers need to be told how to behave properly.

In hot weather one wears a good quality linen jacket, there is no need to overheat.

S

For La Gavroche I could not agree more.

Stephen Bonner

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

As one who almost always wears a jacket in a restaurant where that garb is usually worn, I nevertheless disagree that its a display of poor manners for someone not to do so unless that standard is specifically part of the requirements of the particular restaurant.

I'll give you an example of a situation where something of that type happened to me. On Memorial Day weekend my SO and I were in the Napa Valley. We were waitlisted to dine at the French Laundry. Since I've had the experience of being waitlisted there on several occasions without any luck I thought that the chances of our getting in were less than nil, especially since this was a busy holiday weekend. Lo and behold late Friday afternoon I received a call that a reservation had freed itself up for Saturday. I mentioned that I didn't have a jacket with me. The receptionist replied that they always kept jackets on hand for those who didn't have them. When we arrived I was smartly dressed in slacks and a white cashmere sweater. No mention was made of the jacket by the welcoming staff. We were seated in a room where I did not feel the slightest bit uncomfortable or conspicuous.

Porkpa

Sacha - Great to see that you've set yourself the task of checking out some of the exciting restaurants around and Le Gavroche is a great place to start. It pains me to think how long ago it was when I was last there (it was a 3* under Albert!), so I'm really looking forward to hearing your report. Click here for the Le Gavroche topic.

I was being a bit facetious of course but I do think that if the restaurant is expensive, and one can assume that other diners are having a bit of a special night out, its not fair to turn up looking rough as it spoils the atmos.

I do remember the days of some restaurants having a selection of awful ties to give to those arriving without. Sort of name and shame policy.

A dress policy works as a pre filter on diners. If someone doesnt like it, they dont have to dine there which probably is best for all concerned

S

I was being a bit facetious of course but I do think that if the restaurant is expensive, and one can assume that other diners are having a bit of a special night out, its not fair to turn up looking rough as it spoils the atmos.

I do remember the days of some restaurants having a selection of awful ties to give to those arriving without. Sort of name and shame policy.

A dress policy works as a pre filter on diners. If someone doesnt like it, they dont have to dine there which probably is best for all concerned

S

I think this should explored a little further, what about those who conform to jacket and tie only to find they are wearing the most appalling shiny polyester? Not to mention "shoes" that are made of plastic with the most horrendous chunk of plastic glued to the bottom of said "shoe"

I have it on good authority that the next edition of the Michelin guide will be adding a little shoe icon to the ratings to denote the dress code, along the lines of

1 shoe = plastic shoes allowed

2 shoes = leather soles required, plastic uppers allowed

3 shoes = full leather shoe required of the Lobb variety if you please.

Sunbeam Wrote:

Whilst i would agree with you Sunbeam if dining at a members club i think that as a proprietor of an establishment i would be more concerned with attracting regular high spending customers with a chauffer for wine purchasing purposes (or wife, Gary) rather than somebody who can afford a £10 jacket and drinks one glass of sherry.

Whilst i constantly decry the deline in everything in todays society i do believe food is for pleasure and as long as certain limits (wellies, bobhats and balaclavas) aren't breached then what the heck?

david

I never have and never will understand this strange custom of dressing formally to eat? What benefit does it serve? Does it enhance the taste of the food? Does it make one more relaxed? Does it give one a special sense of well being?

Maybe I am from a different generation, as dressing up to eat seems bizarre. Maybe someone can explain what pleasure this ritual brings to the dining experience??

I had a feeling this may spark off a debate.

While is pains me to have to travel to london with a jacket on,I am, in retrospect 100% happy to wear one. And Im glad I do have to wear one. This to me is much a celebration as a friends wedding. A celebration of gastronimy at its finest and also a celebration of what the Roux familly have done for the culinary world.

I have never been able to afford such treats before and have only just started to be able to enjoy such things in my life so toinght I will wear my jacket with pride :raz::raz::raz:

THanks for the link Corinna, I shall give a full review of my experiance. But I will be also looking for help, I am trying to formulate a plan of which restaurants to go to and in which order. I already know Im going to leave the Fat duck to last place in my plan.

And im 100% sure im in the right place to be getting some advice.

Chris

1 I never have and never will understand this strange custom of dressing formally to eat? 2 What benefit does it serve? 3 Does it enhance the taste of the food? 4 Does it make one more relaxed? 5 Does it give one a special sense of well being?

Maybe I am from a different generation, as dressing up to eat seems bizarre. 6 Maybe someone can explain what pleasure this ritual brings to the dining experience??

Answers in my opinion

1. Me too

2. None

3. No

4. No

5. Only for the fashion conscious or those of a supercilious nature

6. I'm interested to find out

david

It's about tradition and respect innit? We should respect the tradition because it is one factor that determines the way we behave today. The past informs the present. Dressing smartly also shows that we respect our guests and the restaurant. I wouldn't want to turn up looking scruffy because the message it sends to whoever I am with is that I couldn't be bothered.

Even if you were eating at Le Gavroche on your own, donning shorts and t-shirt would signify one or both of the folloing i) you don't respect the restaurant and other diners ii) you believe yourself to be above the dress code. I wouldn't like to be viewed as either.

Conversely, if you are eating at home privately, you dictate the rules and arguably the tradition. So wear what you like...

I have been to the Gavroche about a month ago and would certainly never go there without a jacket. In fact, I would feel uncomfortable not wearing a tie!

This is regardless of what the dresscode may be or what Silvano may allow diners. I would simply feel out of place wearing "just a shirt" in this clubby basement between all these distinguished gentlemen and beautiful ladies in little black dresses.

So dress for the occasion, you are in for a treat. I tremendously enjoyed my last visit. Lobster Mousse with Caviar and champagne butter sauce, Scottish beef fillet with foie gras and truffled macaroni gratin, Chocolate and praliné indulgence all confirmed: This is as good as fine dining gets in this country. The silver service was perfect as always, and the wine selection outstanding.

By the way - the air conditioning was very effective that night, it is highly unlikely that you will overheat in a suit.

Edited by ameiden (log)

It's about tradition and respect innit?

Is that an intentional oxymoron :wink:

We should respect the tradition because it is one factor that determines the way we behave today.

What is the tradition? From where did it originate? And who does this tradition apply to?

Dressing smartly also shows that we respect our guests and the restaurant. I wouldn't want to turn up looking scruffy because the message it sends to whoever I am with is that I couldn't be bothered.

Depends who your guests are, I suppose and not sure all restaurants crave respect from their customers, compared to spending loads of money. No one needs to dress scruffy, you can be smart without a jacket or tie. In these days fashion is not as polarised as smart and scruffy.

Even if you were eating at Le Gavroche on your own, donning shorts and t-shirt would signify one or both of the folloing i) you don't respect the restaurant and other diners ii) you believe yourself to be above the dress code. I wouldn't like to be viewed as either.

I do not think many people would take it upon themselves to were shorts and t-shirt in Le Gavorche, see my polarised point above. I as a paying customer would certainly consider myself above a rule or law I have no understanding of.

Conversely, if you are eating at home privately, you dictate the rules and arguably the tradition. So wear what you like...

Indeed, strangley enough at home I actually employ a strict shirt and tie policy :biggrin:

I am still confused on the purpose of this strange convention.

PS. Sacha are you wearing your jacket to the Fat Duck.?

In really hot weather it may be helpful to also go commando: there's only so much even the best quality linen jacket can achieve.

Cheeekymunkey, I don't think anybody is suggesting that one should dine at a restaurant looking scruffy or god forbid wearing shorts.

Using tradition as a reason for wearing a jacket and tie is quite sad i feel, traditions are ever evolving. Even the greatest story book of all time required a New edition.

Restaurant traditions themselves evolve and change, look at the food, the decor, the styles of service etc.

Respecting your fellow diners is not limited to how you dress, sadly some people see this as displaying some kind of social status.

The fact that somebody is wearing the same clothes as me ceartainly doesnt enhance the pleaseure of my meal.

david

edited to say "unless it's a woman, that would be interesting"

Edited by David Naylor (log)

It's always easy to be iconoclastic and turn up to a posh restaurant in jeans and trainers, very rock and roll etc. I think as one gets older a sense that this is very brattish comes to the fore. Yes your money is as good as anyone elses but its really rather pointless and bad mannered towards the other diners. I would hope a 'good'restaurant wouldnt care how rich you were

I always hate it at fancy dress parties if someone turns up who is not in fancy dress. God knows I dont like wearing fancy dress but I expect everyone else to wear it too.

And one would not go to a church or even a registry office wedding dressed badly, it would insult the family. You dont have to wear a morning suit, or even a bloody kilt, but a suit is surely not too much to ask? Everyone can afford a suit of some kind.

Jacket and tie, or just smart. Make a bit of an effort. Manners maketh man.

S