• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eliminating supermarket checkout horror

fresco

they need to develop a cart that scans everything in it. when you exit the store, will your full cart, it debits your credit card and you don't have to stop.

and then drives your kids home, breaks up their squabbling, and prepares dinner from the food in the cart .. that would be beyond smart!! :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

So, when will every store in America be as easy and fun to shop?

Remember, you just can't wait for this to begin! Is it just me, or is MSNBC a tad too optimistic and enthusiastic over this? Goodie, more advertising! If there's anything my food-shopping experiance is missing it's targeted avertising and data mining.

The punchline is you still have to wait in line to pay, weigh fruits and veggies, get carded for alcohol, use your paper cupons, argue over $0.10 difference in advertised price for a five pack of sponges, and dig a checkbook out of the bottom of your bag, and presumably have your stuff bagged. And, of course, wait in agony while other people do the same, which I'm sure comes up more often, right? :wink:

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

this is some of the coolest stuff ever.

they need to develop a cart that scans everything in it. when you exit the store, will your full cart, it debits your credit card and you don't have to stop.

And let's you go to eGullet from your cart so you can do your Blog while you shop. :cool::laugh:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

And who will unload your cart full of unbagged items into your car and from the car to your house?

they need to develop a cart that scans everything in it.  when you exit the store, will your full cart, it debits your credit card and you don't have to stop.

And who will unload your cart full of unbagged items into your car and from the car to your house?

bagging will be fit into the process somewhere. i can assure you that that's the easy part.

And let's you go to eGullet from your cart so you can do your Blog while you shop. :cool::laugh:

Hey... that looks doable. A little WiFi and there you are. You could even check that recipe in RecipeGullet to see how much yak butter you need. :raz:

As much as I HATE, HATE, HATE the diy checkout, this actually could be fun.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

As you walk down the aisles, and promotions and paperless coupons “pop-up” on the screen. Want to take advantage of that special deal? Just touch the screen and scan the item.

Great! Products that pester you as you walk by! I want that! Maybe they'll get the boxes to do a little song and dance.

If the system can capture your email address, how long before the store and/or manufacturers are sending you spam?

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

When will someone invent a cart that sends 10,000 volts through the handles when the shopper gets in the 10 items or less lane with more than 10 items? :raz:

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

bagging will be fit into the process somewhere.

Either that, or they'll make customers bag their own stuff. That might not go over well in the U.S., but it's routine in France, for example.

Michael aka "Pan"

As you walk down the aisles, and promotions and paperless coupons “pop-up” on the screen. Want to take advantage of that special deal? Just touch the screen and scan the item.

Great! Products that pester you as you walk by! I want that! Maybe they'll get the boxes to do a little song and dance.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Like in the kiddie cereal commercials. Cool.

bagging will be fit into the process somewhere.

Either that, or they'll make customers bag their own stuff. That might not go over well in the U.S., but it's routine in France, for example.

well yeah, that's kind of what i am suggesting. don't most able-bodied people bag their own stuff anyway? in NJ it's pretty routine to bag your own stuff, unless you really have some desire to sit there and wait for a stoned teenager to do it. and of course there would be people available to bag for those who can't or won't. i'm going to get to work on this right away. because if people are like me, the worst part about shopping is checking out.

Edited by tommy (log)

don't most able-bodied people bag their own stuff anyway?  in NJ it's pretty routine to bag your own stuff, unless you really have some desire to sit there and wait for a stoned teenager to do it.

Cultural difference betwen New York and New Jersey? :biggrin::hmmm::laugh:

No, I don't think most able-bodied people bag their own stuff in New York City.

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

At some point in the future, all food will be tagged with RFID tags (or whatever successor we humans invent). Then the auto-scanning cart will be a reality. Your fridge will also be able to inventory itself.

How will they stick RFID tags to fruits/veggies? Mystery.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

No, I don't think most able-bodied people bag their own stuff in New York City.

when i develop my magical cart i'll make sure that NYC is last on the roll-out list, as clearly they have a lot of time on their hands and aren't in very much of a hurry. :laugh:

If there is a bagger at the checkout, I let them bag it. I don't like the principle of diy. Less service for the same price. Eliminate jobs for more profit. Why not fire all the cashiers and baggers and make everyone do it themselves? Sarcasm mode off.