• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Taco Bell

I know that Taco Bell is not Mexican food, I believe that most "Mexican" restaurants in the United States do not serve "real" Mexican food. I'd like to think that most of the general population knows this as well.

What's your take on this? Taco Bell- good or bad? Does it even fit into the realm of Mexican food? What about other popular restaurants in America that serve "Mexican" food?

I once traveled to Mexico City to eat at the first Taco Bell there. They were serving carne deshebrada tacos on fresh tortillas with serrano tomatillo salsa. They weren't bad either.

Colman Andrews wrote a wonderful piece about Taco Bell in Saveur. The point being, when tortillas and refried beans are available from no other source, Taco Bell tastes pretty good.

Let's say Taco Bell is to Mexican food what Pizza Hut is to Italian food and KFC is to Southern food. I don't frequent any of them, but I have no big problem with them either. If nobody liked this stuff, they would have all gone out of business long ago.

Real Mexican food? Well, there are several restaurants here in Houston which are part of Mexican chains. Jarro Cafe is a tiny taqueria chain with wonderful food. A new roasted chicken chain just moved here from Mexico City too. But the Latin American community here doesn't care if its Mexican or Mexican-American, they just care if its good tasting and a good value.