• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yucatecan influence in Tex-Mex

I noticed in one of the other threads on this Q&A that seafood, mostly the form of fish tacos and as seviche, has made its way into Tex-Mex cuisine during the past 20 years or so. During my limited travels to that area (Playa del Carmen and Cozumel) I ate at a few taquerias and cafes that served predominately locals and few if any tourists. The Yucatecan dishes were distinctly different than the Mexican or Tex-Mex food I'm familiar with here in the Northeast (admittedly such offerings here pale in comparison to Texas in all ways).

Are you beginning to see any influence from the Yucatan appearing or do you anticipate that it will start creeping into Tex-Mex cuisine?

The Baja Grill Mexican seafood restaurant concept and the fish taco are from the Mexican Pacific. And these are gaining in popularity a lot faster than cochinita pibil or dishes the are closely associated with the Yucatan. The origin of ceviche may be Ecudorian, or it may be Peruvian, but I don't think it's Yucatecan.