• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marcella Hazan Eats at Olive Grden

Artichoke

I seem to recall from her books that Marcella's big beef is that we on this continent don't put enough salt in the water when cooking pasta.

It must also be said that she is a smoker, and smokers tend to like their salt and heavy seasonings.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

you're right about the menus of MG and OG.  the same type of thing.  although i'm not ashamed to submit that i like MG slightly more than OG.  :biggrin:

I'm with ya on MG over OG. There's an MG next door to a hotel I stay at occasionally when on business travel. Not only do they serve later than the other places in that area, but we can walk there and back from the hotel after a long day and a late check-in. I found everything about it including atmosphere to be superior to OG. They do a decent job with steak, the bread is okay and I've had really good Tiramisu there on a few occasions as well.

Bilrus makes a very good point. I happen to live in a city (Syracuse NY) that has an overabundance of Italian restaurants run by first, second and third generation Italian-Americans. With only a few exceptions, those being the few that consistently deliver good food, OG is way busier than all of them every night of the week and it's mostly due to predictability and perceived value. This is a middle-brow traditionally blue collar community. We have some fine dining - the masses here aren't into the more subtle elements of cuisine but like large portions and predictable quality (even if it's middling quality). With most of these other local Italian restaurants as a reference point, OG actually seems pretty good to most of these folks.

Second course: Tortelloni di Fizzano. Pasta stuffed with ricotta cheese and spinach, served in a beef and pork Bolognese sauce.

"This is bad. This is really bad," Marcella says. She stares into the bowl. "This is Bolognese sauce?"

Everyone looks glum. "I must console myself," Marcella says. She orders a Jack Daniel's.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Weird that a four year old article has appeared  here twice within a week.

Has it been cited somewhere else recently?

Wow, double bad on my part. :angry: Don't mean to post a dupe, and a four-year old one at that.

It's headlining on Saute Wednesday with a 07.20.04 date. That's my source and it might also be where Artichoke saw it.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

It was just posted here on eGullet...somewhere...

edited to add: ah, I see it's linked to in Andrew's post above.

I liked how Marcella didn't mind imbibing while on the record. I've always admired a woman who can knock 'em back with the best of them.

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver