• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Match made in heaven?

fresh pineapple dipped into spicy-salt

melted cheddar and mango chutney, on toast

soft-boiled quails egg, dipped in hot caramelised sugar which is then allowed to set (this was a nibble in a restaurant in London - amazing.)

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.

bologna and peanutbutter

Yep, loved that as a kid. Also peanut butter 'n cheddar.

Gumbo and potato salad - Not just as a side dish, but a scoop of potato salad IN the bowl of gumbo and rice. The potato salad must have chopped pickles in it to make the taste combo perfect. (Not new to homegrown Cajuns, but maybe to the rest of you?)

Boudin and Steen's Cane syrup.

Chocolate chip cookies and pineapple orange juice - Sure, cookies and milk are great, but there's something about chasing the cookie with a glass of pineapple orange juice that hits the spot.

Coffee (just a bit) in your cereal & milk.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

really ripe strawberries and balsamic

ohhhh, I just love that combination. It makes my eyes roll up into my head. :biggrin:

The strangest, most wonderful, weird combination I've had lately was at the IACP conference in April at the avocado booth:

A chunk of avocado rolled in crushed corn nuts and draped in a thin veil of white cotton candy. It was OUTRAGEOUSLY good.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Gorgonzola and Figs

Pineapple and Mint

Strawberries and Tarragon

Any sharp cheese and spicy apple butter

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Deep fried battered haggis and Thai sweet chili sauce.

wow! And how exactly did you come across this combination??? :blink:

No Brown sauce left in the pantry, only sweet chili sauce left, lived without fear and was not completely sober.

There are few things of this type that are not improved with the addition of sweet chile sauce.

I buy it in the large bottles, 6 at a time so I won't run out.

I have used it as a dip for all kinds of things

Kufta or kefta, falafel, dolmas, fritters of all kinds, bean cakes,

used it as a topping on grits, barley, kasha, cheese blintzes, potato blintzes, potato pancakes, hoppin' John.

and of course all kinds of Mexican foods. Chimichanges especially.

And an avocado split in half and the hollow filled with sweet chile sauce is a symphony of flavors.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I too use Thai sweet chili sauce with many things - one of the best is in a peanut butter sandwich instead of jam.

Morningstar Farms Breakfast Patties with sweet stuff - like orange marmalade, maple syrup, or Thai sweet chili sauce, on toast.

Watermelon and feta - equal proportions, as a fantastically refreshing salad.

Grapes and a gutsy bleu cheese like Cabrales.

Raisins and amontillado.

I used to think I ate weird stuff, but really, cornflakes and Zinfandel???? That totally takes the cake, in my book.

And an avocado split in half and the hollow filled with sweet chile sauce is a symphony of flavors.

oooh this reminds me.

- avocado with Worcestershire sauce. MMMMMMM.

which also reminds me (it's a childhood thing)

- ripe papaya with crispy bacon shards and a squeeze of lime (am I allowed three things in my combination??)

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese