• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Match made in heaven?

Snails and Beetroot (the flavour molecule that contributes to the earthiness in each of these is the same. It also exists in spinach and baby corn)

aha! the key to the 'baked potato that smells like chocolate'!

honey with everything.even toothpaste.

Single malt scotch and pecan pie

Oh. Hell. Yes.

Especially with Glenmorangie. Any variety. Hells yes.

Speaking of scotch and bacon, Niman Ranch uncured bacon smells disturbingly like Laphroig. I mean, identical, down to that oily petrol smell. I think the chemical profiles must be very close...maybe I can analyize them both in my food chemistry class and see. Anyway, if that is indeed the case, then: Bacon and Laphroig.

editing to note that I mean the raw bacon. The cooked doesn't smell the same. So I guess the match there would be Laphroig and RAW bacon. :wacko:

Edited by JennotJenn (log)

Gourmet Anarchy

One of the desserts at Brunoise, a fairly new Montreal restaurant, has been generating a lot of buzz (including in the New York Times): vanilla panna cotta drizzled with basil syrup and passion fruit pulp. At dinner there last week, it was amusing to see several first-timers reacting exactly the way I once did — doubt giving way to surprise then astonishment and finally unadulterated delight — all in the space of 5-10 seconds. However bizarre it sounds, it truly is a flavour combination that makes perfect sense on the palate, as though it has always existed, as though it was meant to be.

edit: spelling

Edited by carswell (log)

Barbecue potato chips (rippled) with large curd cottage cheese (my favorite secret snack)

I eat something similar, andiesenji .. pretzels with sour cream and cottage cheese mixed ... crunchy yet creamy! mmmm.. :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Orange juice, too.  Don't like that taste of bacon and OJ.  And OJ and toothpaste...pretty nasty as well.

I liked salty and sweet...and still do.  Didn't seem disgusting to me at all.

Oh no I beg to differ. Bacon and OJ definitely.

If I have bacon and eggs, I must have OJ.

After all, it's sweet and salty! :smile:

Barbecue potato chips (rippled) with large curd cottage cheese (my favorite secret snack)

I eat something similar, andiesenji .. pretzels with sour cream and cottage cheese mixed ... crunchy yet creamy! mmmm.. :rolleyes:

I also have a somewhat similar snack: Sour cream and onion potato chips dipped in lemon yogurt. It's the salty and the tart which I love. Plus you get the crunchy/creamy thing going on. :licks lips:

Another good match is chocolate and basil.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

bacon and peanutbutter

balogna and peanutbutter

hummus and bacon <-- bet you'll never see that served in a middle eastern restaurant

Edited by ellencho (log)

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

This might be obvious to all, but when I first had it about 20 years ago it was a revelation to me: thick, chunky, blue cheese dressing globbed high on a square of warm yellow corn bread, (with kernels).

Fried artichokes and mint

Barbecue potato chips and champagne (seriously)

Baked/grill fish with slices of orange inside

This thread is completely inspirational!! Except for the 'brown sauce' bit which is entirely dependent on the eater's country of origin! :laugh:

Basil syrup on panna cotta...that sounds amazing!

Red Zinfandel and Cornflakes

Which brings me to...

Cap'n Crunch and unsweetened whipped cream

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

really ripe strawberries and balsamic

breakfast sausage and maple syrup and scrambled eggs

hot cocoa and cheese curls

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Peaches and Herb.

sparkling wine and fried food. fried food of any kind.

Herb who?

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I also have a somewhat similar snack: Sour cream and onion potato chips dipped in lemon yogurt. It's the salty and the tart which I love. Plus you get the crunchy/creamy thing going on. :licks lips:

I must confess that I am a cream addict, the thicker the better. One of the reasons I began making my own cheese/cream cheese, etc., was so I could have a legitimate excuse for buying cream in large quantities. People would look in my fridge and see two gallons of cream and look at me as if I had horns growing out of my forehead. I can say, "oh yes, I make my own cheese, cream cheese, ricotta, butter, sour cream, yogurt," and so on and they would nod and say "I see."

The truth is that I do make all these things but I can also take cream straight into a bowl, add enough fruit for flavor and that is a snack.

Or, I can mix it with fresh cheese curds and have the best "creamed" cottage cheese ever.

The flavor and texture of the barbecue potato chips, dipped into this creamy, lumpy stuff is heavenly.

Spicy corn chips are dipped into plain sour cream.

Another flavor combination I happend upon by accident is grilled bratwurst, cut into chunks (no buns in the house) and accidentally inundated with lemon curd.

(I was talking on the phone, not paying attention and grabbed a quart jar of lemon curd from the fridge, instead of the applesauce.)

Wow, was that good!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

During a weekend implementation at work, where we normally use it is an excuse to gorge on snack and junk food all day one of my colleagues discovered an 'interesting' combination. Having ran out of tortilla chips and pringles, he dipped a hot cross bun an a container of commercial prawn cocktail flavour dip.

He proclaimed it a resounding success, but I am not so sure. I could try and compare it to the use of pain d'epices in savoury dishes, but I don't think it is quite the same.

I love animals.

They are delicious.