• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Match made in heaven?

Some foods just go together so well that you can't imagine them apart.

What are some of the less obvious ones you have discovered?

Some of mine are

• Bacon and peas - Not that original, but nothing brings out the sweetness of peas like crisp, salty bacon.
  • Pasta and potatoes - The double starch thing does work. Atkins? Bah!
  • Roast Chicken and Mustard

I love animals.

They are delicious.

red chilli and chocolate

bacon and marmalade

pork and fennel

feta and honey

Pork and fennel- oh yes, but bacon and marmalade?

I can see I will have to experiment!

I love animals.

They are delicious.

go here if you don't believe!

the bacon butty debate

Fi

You appear to be contradicting yourself

I hesitate to inject a dissonant note into this hymn to brown sauce, but... FECH, you people are all WRONG. brown sauce lives only to serve the scrambled egg and, somewhat curiously, the cheese souffle. it has no place in a bacon butty. the only correct thing to put on a bacon butty is... MORE BACON. I will have no truck with abominating them with brown sauce.

Now, sausage sandwiches, on the other hand, get slathered in English mustard and a layer of Ma Kirkpatrick's Seville orange marmelade. oh yes.

Fi

I'm a brown sauce man myself.

right, I'm off to get a Bacon Butty.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Single malt scotch and pecan pie

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Oreos and beer.

Pickled jalepenos stuffed with tuna and sharp cheddar.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

bacon and avocado (to continue the theme)

prosciutto and melon

peaches and shaved ham

apples and Kasseri or Caerphilly cheese

ditto pears

Barbecue potato chips (rippled) with large curd cottage cheese (my favorite secret snack)

crisp waffles topped with chili

cheese blintzes with habanero salsa, ooooooohh!!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

You appear to be contradicting yourself
I hesitate to inject a dissonant note into this hymn to brown sauce, but... FECH, you people are all WRONG. brown sauce lives only to serve the scrambled egg and, somewhat curiously, the cheese souffle. it has no place in a bacon butty. the only correct thing to put on a bacon butty is... MORE BACON. I will have no truck with abominating them with brown sauce.

Now, sausage sandwiches, on the other hand, get slathered in English mustard and a layer of Ma Kirkpatrick's Seville orange marmelade. oh yes.

Fi

whoops. actually, I do sometimes (shhhh) put marmelade into bacon sandwiches.

but I maintain my position on brown sauce.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Heston Blumenthal in his Q&A http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=12012 gave a list:

Strawberry and coriander

Snails and Beetroot (the flavour molecule that contributes to the earthiness in each of these is the same. It also exists in spinach and baby corn)

Chocolate and pink peppercorn

Carrot and violet (ionone is the main pairing molecule here)

Carrot and coriander

Mango and violet

Pineapple and blue cheese (careful as the cheese needs a certain ketone level)

Caraway and lavender are surprisingly interchangeable

Cauliflower (caramelised) and cocoa

Liver and Jasmine (similar sulphur compounds)

Cooked cheese (like parmesan and gruyere) and honey (with a slightly chestnut character)

Banana and parsley

Harissa (chilli paste) and dried apricot

He discovered these, like his famous Caviar and Chocolate, by searching chemical analysises for similar flavour molecules.

You can also find antagonists with no flavours in common, such as Coffee and Basil - horrid!

I think we may need a new topic - Is there anything that bacon doesn't go with?

toothpaste?

Orange juice, too. Don't like that taste of bacon and OJ. And OJ and toothpaste...pretty nasty as well.

----

Food and Lavender --seems like it would be too perfumey, but it works so well with lamb and stews with Herbes De Provence

I add black pepper to just about all my sliced fruits

When I was a young lass, I only drank apricot sours, and I would gross out my father when I (habitually) ordered french onion soup at our favorite restaurant and sat happily sipping alternately from soup and coctail. I liked salty and sweet...and still do. Didn't seem disgusting to me at all.

Christmas cake/fruit cake with strong Cheddar cheese

Strawberry jam/ or other with strong cheddar cheese made into a simple sandwich (white bread and butter)

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.