• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oratory, Brompton Road

Had two trips here in a week. Food is OK and tasty enough, although it's not going to win any prizes.

It's part of the Brinkley's chain.

What is welcome is the price of the booze. Maybe 15% over off licence prices, and there's quality stuff on there too.

I had a delightful 2000 Petaluma Chardonnay for £21 on Saturday.

Last night I had a half bottle of 2000 Saint Aubin (£13) white burgundy and a half bottle of 1997 Saint Julien (£12).

Food-wise so far....

Opinions were split over a avocado, mozzarella and tomato starter - one diner thought it ordinary, the other loved it. (£5)

The Mezze plate with pitta bread, humous et al was a simple yet tasty option. (£6)

Thai green curry main was deemed adequate. (£9)

The grilled fillet steak I ordered medium rare and was definitely very medium in my book. Cut was not the best. Still, tasty all the same. (£14)

I can recommend their cheese plate even though it doesn't come off a cheese board. Four quality Italian cheeses including a Gorgonzola and sharp Peccorino. Honey in addition to walnuts made for a good combination with the soft cheese (£5).

Selection of sorbets went down well. (£3)

So not a culinary masterpiece, but the wine value and selection will have me returning.

Cheers, Howard

Just round the corner is one of the best cups of coffee in London. Orsini on the Brompton Road has an old Italian guy (Neapolitan) who knows what he is doing. Cappucini are the usual London crap, but the espresso is very solid, or as the Italians would say 'valido'

warning - its often full of V&A mangers - one to avoid

Yes. My sentiments exactly.

Not a place to go and let your hair down if you are part of the museum fraternity.

In my previous life as a member of the above, I used to meet with a friend who worked at the V & A there for dinner. After having our conversation reduced to whispering and anxious looks over our shoulders one too many times we went elsewhere.

Edited by Hallie (log)

do you still wake up in the middle of the night screaming for no apparent reason?

This and worse. I'm convinced that I'm suffering from post museum stress disorder - but I worked for another well-known national gallery, who shall remain nameless (but I'll give you a hint, the place is wall to wall portraits...)

I'm not sure if it was the psychological torture of the curator's department, the belittling behaviour experienced at private views or the turps that passed for wine at these events, but I'm scarred for life.

What is it about these gossipy, back-stabbing, bully filled places? I can count the number of happy museum/gallery employees I know on one hand (and even then I have several fingers left over...)

warning - its often full of V&A mangers - one to avoid

Yes. My sentiments exactly.

Not a place to go and let your hair down if you are part of the museum fraternity.

In my previous life as a member of the above, I used to meet with a friend who worked at the V & A there for dinner. After having our conversation reduced to whispering and anxious looks over our shoulders one too many times we went elsewhere.

On the one hand I feel I should be part of the museum fraternity - the V&A Henry Cole Wing on Exhibition Road directly adjoins my flat - but as I've not set foot in there for the past five years since I've lived there I guess you could say that culture is not at the forefront of my prorities.

Sounds like I'm better outside ;-)

Cheers, Howard

There is no need to go to the grotty Oratory (what a trek to get to the loo for eg.) when there is perfectly decent food in both Brasserie St Quentin and Racine only metres away.

I think Brasserie St Qunetin is not so good anymore and Racine you need to book for.

it's actually rather marvellous. new-ish (there a year or so, i think) chef - the gorgeously monickered nana yaw nitri akuffo - gave it a real shot in the arm.

news doesn't seem to have spread to many people under pensionable age, though...

Edited by circeplum (log)

When did you last go to B St Q?

About a year ago, I think. The service was really bad too, and it came just after a meal at Racine that was much better.

But I will try it again if there is a new chef.

They have just got a new front of house guy, so that might overcome the reported problems with service.

The Polish Club is on Exhibition Rd I think - it is supposd to be quite fun.

There is no need to go to the grotty Oratory (what a trek to get to the loo for eg.) when there is perfectly decent food in both Brasserie St Quentin and Racine only metres away.

Racine is already a regular of mine. I was really commenting on the excellent value of the wine that you won't find anywhere else in the area.

I'm all up for trying Brasserie St Q - living nearby for the past twelve years, I have walked past it more times than I care to mention. However for some reason I've always poo-poo'd it because it's always seemed to me to be like a tourist trap (like the Oratory!). I will redress this soon, although most of my week is spent in Edinburgh at the moment.

Cheers, Howard