• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's your favorite variety of honey?

A few days ago my neighbor's son showed up at my door with a 1/2 pint jar of honey from their bees. It is absolutely delicious made from whatever is blooming in the area. I see them working my rosemary bush and getting water from my birdbath. I hope they get to the apple trees this year.

This honey is dark, almost black, and has a very good flavor. Not filtered. I had to scrape a layer of wax from the top after it settled.

Another manuka honey fan here - for its delicious flavor.  I brought some back from a trip to New Zealand and have continued to purchase it here. 

I also love to bring honey back from a trip and remember my travels with a cup of honey-sweetened tea.

I don't really like the flavor of the manuka honey, altho have eaten a jar of it this winter to help keep my sinus infections @ bay. Found it best on peanut butter toast :raz: I did find it to be outrageously expensive . . . anybody know a good source that's more reasonable (I pd $50, but saw another brand for $90, aaaagh)

My favorite honey is a local one . . . have heard eating local honey helps with allergies, don't know how true, but my allergies are so bad, even placebo effect might help me!! :wink:

When I lived in Arizona, a guy at my grandmothers church harvested one he called "cotton". Oh so good. Now that I'm back in California I like Trader Joe's Mesquite Honey.

I don't mind if it crystallizes either. I just spread it on.

Edited by Susie Q (log)
For a REALLY different view of honey, how it's produced and processed......check out this blog entry by Peter Green from Bangkok.  Never seen anything like that!

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=123155

I've been pouring out a bit each morning and having it with croissants and toast. It's quite nice (I did get rid of the dead bee that was in there).

As a cost point reference, it was 150 baht, or around $5.50 for a 75 cl bottle.

:smile:

My favorite honey is Questa Clover Honey from New Mexico. It's unheated and unfiltered so it's thicker and has a cloudy, white appearance. They make a Desert honey as well, which is good, but not as great as the Clover. For a while, they sold jars of the Clover with strawberries mixed in, that was really yummy!

we are lucky to have several people in this semi rural area that keep bees and sell their honey at the local farmer's market and through a local coop. johnnybird goes through one s-l- of the stuff in his tea, usually wildflower and tupelo. i like to use sage honey for honey carrots and blueberry honey to drizzle over desserts.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 4 weeks later...