• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

bulk herbs and spices

Hi all

I'm new to eGullet and new to the DC area (I live in a basement in NW, close to the Maryland border). I was wondering if you have any recommendations for where to buy bulk herbs and spices. There was a nice little co-op store near my place in Boston but I haven't had any luck in my search here.

And another sort of related question, what's a good source for Indian ingredients?

Thanks so much. :laugh:

Strengthen me with raisins,

refresh me with apples,

for I am faint with love.

Welcome to eG and DC. At the corner of Seven Locks Rd. and McArthur Blvd. is the Bethesda coop. I get all my bulk spices there. Feel free to PM me if you need directions.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Try the Takoma Park Silver Spring Coop...there's one in downtown Takoma at the intersection of Ethan Allen and Carroll Aves, and one in Silver Spring on Grubb Road.

Some ethnic markets also carry bulk spices, but I'm blanking on which ones.

They sell bulk spices at the Whole Foods in Glover Park/Upper Georgetown and at the Yes! in Cleveland Park.

The Whole Foods bulk spices tend to be higher priced than the co-op options, although they win for convience.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

There are some specifically South Asian markets in the Langley Park area, which is not too too close to you, but it's not bad either. The one I have used when I go home to visit my folks in DC is off of New Hampshire Avenue close to the intersection of University Boulevard in a somewhat industrial center. I am sorry I cannot remember the name. If you call the Udupi Palace restauranor the Sari Palace (clothing shop) in Langley Park they might be able to tell you the name of it.

There are also some nice (food-wise) restaurants in that area, as well. It is an area in transition, but you are fine during the day!

Good luck. I am sorry I cannot remember the name!

-- Judy B

If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home.

--James Michener

I was wondering if you have any recommendations for where to buy bulk herbs and spices. And another sort of related question, what's a good source for Indian ingredients?

Thanks so much. :laugh:

I just got back from the Indian Spices, Gifts and Appliances Store on WIlson Blvd. in Arlington....no joke, thats the name of the store...i bought decent size bags (they have all sizes from small to huge) of fennel seeds, cumin seeds, star anise, anise seeds, all spice berries etc....for $1 and change each....this is an unbelievable deal, as far as i know....

pplus you can get all your indian foodstuffs too.

Nothing quite like a meal with my beautiful wife.