• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The $200 Cup of Coffee

DonRocks

Okay, so this morning I decide to work at home, so I french-pressed some Joe and cozied up with my laptop, with a big ol' wide-mouthed Campbell's Soup cup and my cell phone. I poured some coffee into the cup, turned on my laptop, reached for the cellphone to check my messages, and dropped the damned thing into my cup of coffee. Desperate, I began trying to fish the phone out of the mug, spilling coffee on my clean sheets, and scalding my thigh in the process. And then I find out about two minutes later that these things are not waterproof, as the "service needed" message appeared on the screen, briefly, before blinking off altogether for the last and final time. Two hours later, having visited my Verizon store which can only be compared to going to renew your driver's license at the Department of Motor Vehicles, and $250 poorer having been suckered into buying an extended-life battery, I came home and cursed my stained sheets, taking some degree of comfort that I took out insurance on my new cell phone this time around.

GrrrrrRocks.