• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coffee Glossary project

phaelon56

Hiroyuki,

Your name reminds me of the Japanese Barista Champion (and 2nd place at the 2005 World Barista Championship in Seattle), Hiroyuki Kadowaki.  I know you're not the same guy, because the barista spoke almost no english.

Anyway... he did a great job... and maybe you'll come and watch the 2007 World Barista Championship, which will be held in Japan (I forget which city... NOT Tokyo).

You may know another Hiroyuki... Hiroyuki Sakai, the French Iron Chef. :biggrin:

• 1 year later...

I started a thread topic in Elsewhere in Europe about coffee in Vienna and Austria but thought the posting would fit in this discussion as well. click

The list of terms for the different types of coffee drinks in Vienna coffeehouses is fascinating in its variety and length. Some of the simpler variations are available all over Austria while some may only be in a true "Kaffehaus" found in Vienna and to some extent in other larger cities like Salzburg and Graz.

When I've been to Austria previously I've had some of the simpler concoctions, but as I'm planning a longer trip to Vienna, home to many wonderful traditional coffeehouses. this summer, I thought I would look into the terminology a bit more. Some of the terms I know from experience; others are new to me and were found by reading--so I appreciate any input or clarification from those that may know more. The primary information source I used was Rick Rodgers' Kaffeehaus but I supplemented this with information from other books.

To aid searches, I haven't used the umlaut symbol when it comes up in a given word but have instead used the convention where a vowel with an umlaut is replaced with the vowel followed by an "e". For example, “Verlangerter” has an umlaut over the “a”; to spell without the umlaut as I’ve done, it becomes “Verlaengerter”.

In the first list I've given the most common coffee orders that I think are available at most coffeehouses in Austria.

Kleiner Schwarzer espresso (“small black one”)

Kurz I think this is another way to order an espresso; not sure if or how it differs from a Kleiner Schwarzer

Kleiner Brauner espresso with dash of milk (“small brown one”)

Grosser Schwarzer or Brauner double espresso or double “Kleine Brauner”

Verlaengerter Schwarzer or Verlaengerten espresso “stretched” with hot water

Mokka or Mocca very strong drip coffee; I think the default is served without milk or cream

Melange Quintessential Viennese coffee: half Viennese Roast coffee and half steamed milk. It is sometimes served with a dollop of whipped cream iin which case it is called Melange mit Schlag (Melange with whipped cream)

Milchkaffee half coffee/half milk (not sure, but perhaps the distinction here is that the milk is not necessarily steamed)

Cappuccino espresso with steamed milk froth

Einspaenner tall espresso and milk; topped with plenty of whipped cream

(Wiener or Viennese) Eiskaffee iced coffee with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream; when ordering just ask for an “Eiskaffe”. It's served in a glass parfait glass and it usually accompanied by a a thin sugar wafer in the shape of a wedge.

Other Coffee Drinks

Some of these may be more commonly available in large city coffeehouses, certainly in Vienna but also in the more elaborate coffeehouses in Salzburg or Vienna

Kaffee Crème coffee served with a little pitcher of milk

Franziskaner coffee with enough milk to resemble the color of monks of the Franciscan order

Kapuziner coffee with enough milk to resemble the color of monks of the Capuchin order (lighter than a Franciscan). Sometimes has a sprinkle of grated chocolate on top

Konsul black coffee with a spot of cream

Nussbraun “nut-brown”, a little lighter than the Kapuziner

Nussgold “nut-gold”, a little lighter than the “Nussbraun”

Gold very light coffee and milk

Vehrkert almost white with milk (not sure if this is the same or lighter than a “Gold”

Eidotter glass of coffee with an egg yolk (hangover cure)

Fiaker or Pharisaeer hot coffee with rum or brandy; often with whipped cream on top; one distinction I’ve seen is that the Fiaker is a Verlaengerter with rum and whipped cream while a Pharisaeer is a Mokka with rum and whipped cream

Maria Theresia hot coffee with orange liqueur and whipped cream

Mazagran or Masagran iced coffee with Maraschino liqueur; sometimes rum is used instead I think

Tuerkischer coffee boiled in the Turkish style; served in copper cups or may be served in a copper pot with the coffee grounds on the bottom.

Other terms and conventions:

Doppelschlag (double the amount of whipped cream)

You might also hear the word Schanigarten, which is the outdoor area of the coffeehouse, where chairs and tables are set up on the sidewalk.

In classic or more formal coffeehouses with at least some of the drinks it is traditional to serve the drinks on a silver tray and with a glass of iced water

It's clear that many of these terms originated from a "non-self serve" and non-take out environment; thus the need for many descriptions describing how much milk is added.

Hopefully I'll know more after my trip, but thought it would be fun to start this topic and see if others have comments or experiences.

In previous visits to Graz my most common orders were for a "Schwarzer" or "Brauner", "klein" or "gross"; and in the summer an "Eiskaffee" but I hope to try some of the others in the trip to Vienna. The Mazagran sounds like a particularly interesting summertime coffee drink.

Please share comments or experiences!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Will make a note to look at more menus when in Italy next month.

But... was just in Chitown at Intelly two weeks ago. Their "cortado" is a tall, thin juice glass that is basically a small latte.

If there's someone here from SF, I've heard a couple of different definitions of the "Gibraltar", which I think might be a Blue Bottle creation. My understanding is that it might be a latte macchiato in an 8oz cup, but I've never had one, so couldn't really say... all I know is that they do "reverse" latte art, using the coffee itself to make the rosettes in the milk.

Mr. Tacy might be able to clarify since he's already posted a fairly comprehensive list (although is it "corretto" or "correcto"?)

Rich Westerfield

Mt. Lebanon, PA

Drinking great coffee makes you a better lover.

There is no scientific data to support this conclusion, but try to prove otherwise. Go on. Try it. Right now.

Drink Terminology

Drip Coffee – (SCAA: Golden Cup Standard) 3.25 – 4.25 ounces of freshly ground coffee is extracted by 64 ounces of 197-204 F (92 – 96 C) water. Water Purity: 50-100 ppm, total dissolved solids, no iron and free of any taste odor and particulates, pH of 6.5 – 7.5. Extraction: The amount of soluble material removed from the coffee during brewing: 18% - 22%. Strength: The concentration of total dissolved solids (flavoring materials) from the coffee in the brew: 1150 TDS (1.15%) – 1350 TDS (1.35%).

Café au Lait – equal parts French roast (dark) drip brewed coffee and hot steamed milk.

Shot in the Dark/Bulls Eye/Red Eye – Espresso added to a cup of brewed coffee.

Espresso – The essence of coffee, extra-finely ground coffee is extracted by 194-197 F (90 – 92 C) water under 9 atmospheres of pressure, for 20-30 seconds, producing a 25 mls – 35 mls (1.0 ounce) beverage. Many variations of espresso exist with additions of flavorings and milk foam or whipped cream. Taste should be a harmonious balance between sweetness, acidity and bitterness, with a full-bodied, round and smooth tactile balance.

Crema – The visual sign of a well-made espresso. The color of the crema should be hazelnut, dark brown and / or have a reddish reflection. Specking or striping is preferred. Crema should be dense and smooth, and have a persistent recovery.

Americano – fresh espresso mixed with hot water producing a rich flavorful coffee drink at brewed coffee strength.

Espresso Macchiato – espresso marked with a small dollop of milk foam.

Espresso con Panne – espresso topped with whipped cream.

Espresso Brogia – espresso topped with chocolate whipped cream.

Espresso Cubano – Espresso mixed with raw sugar or brown sugar, producing a bittersweet and rich drink.

Cafezinho – (Brazilian) – Double espresso longo pulled over 2-3 teaspoons of granulated white sugar, mixed well.

Espresso Vienna – espresso mixed with chocolate sauce, garnished with whipped cream.

Yankee Dog – Americano garnished with a dollop of milk foam.

Colada – In a small cappuccino cup pull two longo espressos over 2 tablespoons of granulated white sugar. Mix well. Serve with very small “shot” cups to serve/share.

Cappuccino – harmonious balance of espresso, steamed milk and frothed milk. Taste should be a balance of espresso and rich, sweet milk. Northwest version is served in a larger cup with generous amounts of steamed and frothed milk in equal proportions.

Foam – Smooth, silky, free of bubbles with a wet sheen. The appearance of crema should be noted as a circle around the white foam or incorporated into latte art.

Café Latte – Steamed milk flavored with espresso, garnished with a dollop of milk foam.

Flat White – a Café Latte prepared with a single espresso and steamed milk in a small cappuccino cup.

Cortadito – In a small cappuccino cup pull two longo espresso over 1 ½ tablespoons of granulated white sugar. Prepare as a Café Latte using steamed evaporated milk.

Breve – Café Latte made with steamed half&half.

Café Mocha – a Café Latte flavored with rich chocolate sauce, garnished with whipped cream and a chocolate sauce drizzle.

Steamer – Hot steamed milk, accented with flavored syrups.

Italian Soda – Hand crafted soft drink with sparkling water and flavored syrup.

Creamosa (French Soda) ** – Italian soda garnished with half&half.

Chai – (Masala chai or spiced tea) A blend of black tea, honey, sugar, and spices usually served as a latte with choice of dairy, hot or cold

"Wine give rise to dreams: Coffee to thoughts"

If there's someone here from SF, I've heard a couple of different definitions of the "Gibraltar", which I think might be a Blue Bottle creation.  My understanding is that it might be a latte macchiato in an 8oz cup, but I've never had one, so couldn't really say... all I know is that they do "reverse" latte art, using the coffee itself to make the rosettes in the milk. 

I'm not from SF but on my first visit to the Blue Bottle kiosk on Linden Street in Hayes Valley, Steve Ford - who now roasts for Ecco Caffe - made me a Gibraltar in a glass that, curiously enough (or perhaps not so curiously :wink: ), appears to be a smaller version of this:

Libbey Gibraltar footed rocks glass

If I recall correctly it the glass was about 5 oz. in size, conmtained a 1.5 fluid oz ristretto shot and was served with about 3 oz of steamed milk - more milk than a traditional machiatto but less than a traditional cappuccino.