• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Biggest challenges

Robb-

What would you say were the biggest challenges you encountered while researchig and writing your latest book? How did you get over them?

Thanks,

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

The biggest problem was getting restaurant owners to talk to me.

There are a lot of hustlers in the niche publishing business.

Some guy in Dallas is currently putting together a Tex-Mex cookbook and charging restaurants for the right to be in it. Restaurant owners are constantly being approached with these schemes. So when I called them up, they tended to blow me off. Of they'd ask how much I was charging.

Even restaurants I knew refused to give me recipes. Why should they provide a how-to guide for competitors?

I had the same problem writing Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook. After the barbecue book came out and I used it to convince Tex-Mex restaurants that I was on the level.

And as for the recipes, I would simply show them MY recipe and tell them it was better than theirs. That would inevitably stimulate a discussion. But in the end, when you write a cookbook and test the recipes in a home kitchen, you have to redo every recipe anyway.