• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: tejon - Served family style

tejon

Dinner:

I have been wanting to make something similar to the churrasco the CA group had at Mi Ama, and came across this. I ended up making double the Chimichurri sauce - can you have too much Chimichurri? I think not. It was delicious, and very similar to what we had at the restaurant. Served with a baked potato (that was even better with some juices and more of the sauce drizzled over) and sauteed bok choy.

d_thu.jpg

Edited by tejon (log)

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

As Mom of of a newly-turned-three-year-old boy, I'm absolutely loving your blog, particularly the fact that you've made a conscious effort not to rely on quick-fix processed food to nourish your family. As evidenced by the mac 'n cheese, even the most diligent parents can't keep 100% of it out of the household... but, hey, if we indulge our own junk-food cravings every now and again, then why can't our kids!

We've been pretty lucky with Noah in the food department so far. For the most part, he eats what we eat; given our broad spectrum of ethnic food interests, he'll happily chow down on anything from sushi to souvlaki, smoked oysters to smoked gouda, and lumpia to tobiko. Our eating philosophy is that you have to try everything on the table one time (and swallow it... parents of small kids know that this is key!). If at first we don't succeed in the new food tasting department, then it's try, try again another day.

Keep up the great cooking and the great blog!

:biggrin:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

As Mom of of a newly-turned-three-year-old boy, I'm absolutely loving your blog, particularly the fact that you've made a conscious effort not to rely on quick-fix processed food to nourish your family. As evidenced by the mac 'n cheese, even the most diligent parents can't keep 100% of it out of the household... but, hey, if we indulge our own junk-food cravings every now and again, then why can't our kids!

I actually think it's important to make sure junk foods don't become more attractive because they are forbidden. We do keep the occasional treat in the house and are already teaching both the boys about moderation and what different foods do for their bodies. My husband and I also teach them by what we do - we work hard to show them what balanced eating looks like. I also work hard to make sure that they both have a lot of healthy, good tasting choices available so eating well is easier.

Edited by tejon (log)

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Breakfast: black tea with a little turbinado sugar

b_fri.jpg

Wasn't really hungry this morning, but I'll most likely snack in a bit once my stomach has deemed food acceptable.

Off to start my Grandma's rolls :biggrin:.

Edited by tejon (log)

Kathy

i think it's wonderful that you work around allergies and manage to incorporate all kinds of cuisines.there are probably many fringe benefits too-that lunch for instance has turmeric which among other things,has anti inflammatory properties.but i guess you know that!

chimichurring something for dinner tonight!

i think it's wonderful that you work around allergies and manage to incorporate all kinds of cuisines.there are probably many fringe benefits too-that lunch for instance has turmeric which among other things,has anti inflammatory properties.but i guess you know that!

chimichurring something for dinner tonight!

It was really difficult to find things that we could all eat when the boys had so many food allergies, but it made me really explore ingredients and different foods. The biggest thing I found was that it's far easier to work from cuisines that don't really use the item that you're trying to avoid - avoiding flour is much easier if you are making Indian or other asian dishes that simply didn't have it to start with. Dairy isn't present in most Chinese or Japanese food, ditto corn with the exception of corn starch (arrowroot starch substitutes adequately, though). I was able to get away from using canned broth since almost all of it contains corn syrup (how does this make any sense? :blink:) and quickly learned how much better my own stock was.

The dal meal is a good example of foods that we ended up trying due to the boys' food allergies. I was never a fan of lentils or dried beans or legumes in general before, but we needed a simple way to get protein to both of them without having to mess too much with the laundry list of allergens. Once I started making dal, I found it delicious and started branching out. My pantry is now full of lentils and legumes of all kinds and we enjoy them probably once a week.

I also learned things that are now helpful. I now know that powdered sugar contains a bit of corn starch, and I can make my own baking powder easily (it also contains corn starch). Kosher foods were a true blessing since they don't usually contain corn and dairy in a product is clearly marked.

All of this has made me a better cook, and has broadened the foods I feed my family.

Edited by tejon (log)

Kathy

Rolls:

3/4 cup milk

1/2 cup sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1/2 cup butter, plus 1/4 for brushing on the rolls later

3/4 cup warm water

1 tablespoon yeast

2 eggs

5 - 5 1/2 cups flour

Warm milk, butter, sugar and salt, then let cool. Cook's perk here - once the pan is empty, the bit that is left is MINE :laugh:

rolls1.jpg

Next, take warm water and dissolve yeast (I use active dry yeast). Add in eggs, milk mixture, and flour:

rolls2.jpg

Edited by tejon (log)

Kathy

Add enough flour to make a soft dough, then knead for 10 minutes (I let the mixer take over this step). Then off to a covered bowl to rise:

rolls3.jpg

Kathy

Lunch:

Ate outside since the boys wanted to "work. They like painting the fence and outside of the house with water and paint brushes (note to parents of small children - this is a great outdoor activity that isn't messy and cools things down during hot weather). I had a simple lunch: a Fuji apple, some Jack cheese, and a handfull of almonds, all washed down with yet more water. All that and free entertainment as well! :laugh:

l_fri.jpg

Edited by tejon (log)

Kathy

When the dough is doubled in size, I divide it into 3 pieces. I like to use my kitchen scale to make sure they are about the same weight. Then the dough rests for 10-15 minutes so it's easier to roll out. Then I roll into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Next the dough gets brushed with some melted butter:

rolls4.jpg

Then I use a pizza wheel to cut it into 12 slices:

rolls5.jpg

Kathy

Then each slice is rolled up from the wide end to the narrow end, pulling a little to keep the layers closer together. Then I squeeze the sides together to form the crescent shape. The boys rolled a few as well :laugh:

rolls6.jpg

Next comes baking. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the rolls on lightly greased baking sheets or Slipat/Exopat sheets - I find the recipe divides well between two half sheet pans. Bake for around 12 minutes, or until just golden. Then brush with a little more melted butter and let cool.

Done!

rolls7.jpg

Kathy

Those look wonderful, and it is great that your kids are so eager to help in the kitchen.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Tejon, your boys are so cute. I'm the mom of three boys, now grown, and your blog brought back memories of when we centered our cooking more around them than our own cravings. What fun times (then, and now)! I do like the family aspect of your blog. What part does you husband play in this? Does he enjoy what you do, and do you two cook together?

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I do like the family aspect of your blog. What part does you husband play in this? Does he enjoy what you do, and do you two cook together?

He loves my cooking, and comments often on how lucky we are as a family to have such good food available all the time. Right now he's busy doing the dishes, his part of the food preparation split when I cook. When he cooks, I clean up, and when one of us is sick the other does both. Works out pretty well. We used to cook together quite a bit, but now it's a bit easier to corral the boys while one of us makes the food. Thankfully he loves food of all sorts and we have similar tastes, so I am free to make just about anything and know that it will be happily devoured.

He's a good cook, though methodical to the extreme (he's an Engineer, what can I say?). He admires my ability to throw things together without a recipe and come out with something delicious, and I am in awe of his ability to follow a recipe without changing even the tiniest thing. We complement each other well :smile:.

Kathy

Guess what we're going to have for breakfast tomorrow morning?

b1_sat.jpg

Kathy

I do like the family aspect of your blog.  What part does you husband play in this?  Does he enjoy what you do, and do you two cook together?

He loves my cooking, and comments often on how lucky we are as a family to have such good food available all the time. Right now he's busy doing the dishes, his part of the food preparation split when I cook. When he cooks, I clean up, and when one of us is sick the other does both. Works out pretty well. We used to cook together quite a bit, but now it's a bit easier to corral the boys while one of us makes the food. Thankfully he loves food of all sorts and we have similar tastes, so I am free to make just about anything and know that it will be happily devoured.

He's a good cook, though methodical to the extreme (he's an Engineer, what can I say?). He admires my ability to throw things together without a recipe and come out with something delicious, and I am in awe of his ability to follow a recipe without changing even the tiniest thing. We complement each other well :smile:.

Awww, that's nice... The four of you could vie for the eG Culinary Family award. (I just made that up. :biggrin: )

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Breakfast:

Grandma's sourdough pancakes :wub:. Last night I set out starter, flour and milk, then added baking soda, an egg, salt and a litte oil this morning. Topped it off with some sweetened blackberries and sausage.

b_sat.jpg

I remember eating these pancakes with my Grandparents on their boat when I was little. They had a 28 foot sailboat that my Grandpa bought as a shell, then made all the cabinetry himself. My Grandma had the tiny galley arranged just so in order to make the most delicious meals as we sailed and fished and swam in the tiny harbor of Todos Santos. She always had a screw top jar of starter that she used to make waffles, pancakes, biscuits, and bread to go with the freshly caught fish. That jar was closely guarded and had a place of honor in the tiny refrigerator. We saw it as the place where all good baked things began. Glad to be keeping the tradition alive :smile:.

Kathy

Dinner:

Pinto beans slow cooked with bacon, onions, garlic, cumin and chile powder and topped with cheese, some tortillas and some cabbage tossed with vinaigrette.

d_sat.jpg

Normally I'd have my menu and shopping list for next week prepared now so I could go grocery shopping early tomorrow morning. It was a rough night with my oldest, so the list is only partially done. I usually go over what is in season, what is on sale at our local store, and what we have in stock and get some ideas. Usually at least one new dish gets included in each week's menu, often many more depending on how much time I'll have to cook that week. I ask the boys and my husband if they have any requests, and then make up the list of dinners for the week. It isn't particularly rigid - sides are usually made up from whatever looks the best at the produce store, meals can be made on any night. Mainly I've found it really helpful to know that I have everything on hand for a meal - it means that I have one less thing to plan during the day and I don't get to 5:00 and scramble to make something. I've found we waste a lot less food now and use far less prepared foods, plus the bonus of saving quite a bit of money (important for a family with one salary, especially in this area).

I have a few things narrowed down and will most likely finish up menu planning early tomorrow morning, then cut my coupons and get off to our local grocery store, then Trader Joe's, then the asian market where I buy most of our produce. This ends up taking a total of about 1 1/2 - 2 hours total, but I only go once a week.

Kathy

Breakfast: chamomile tea while I make out my shopping list and cut coupons. Do I know how to party, or what? :rolleyes:

b_sun.jpg

Kathy

Breakfast:

Grandma's sourdough pancakes :wub:. Last night I set out starter, flour and milk, then added baking soda, an egg, salt and a litte oil this morning. Topped it off with some sweetened blackberries and sausage.

b_sat.jpg

man, those look good! almost noon here and i still haven't eaten breakfast.

man, those look good!

Thanks :smile:. Credit goes to my Grandma, who taught me to make them (almost) as well as she did. They are a nice way to keep my starter going if I forget to refresh it often enough. Really good with half whole wheat flour or other grains thrown in for contrast with the slight tang.

almost noon here and i still haven't eaten breakfast.

A man after my own heart :laugh: (no sign of breakfast for me here, either). We usually have something substantial on Saturday mornings since my husband is home and we can all sit down together. Sundays I'm out grocery shopping, usually earlier than my stomach is willing to agree to any kind of nourishment.

Edited by tejon (log)

Kathy