• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: tejon - Served family style

tejon

Wanted to note that I'm the only one missing breakfast today! The boys had some french toast and strawberries - my husband had some oatmeal. I do actually feed everyone even when I don't eat :raz:.

Edited by tejon (log)

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Gorgeous rolls and gorgeous boys. I'll bet those rolls don't last very long at your place. :)

Is the sourdough starter for pancakes the same as for a bread? How clever.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

The rolls are long gone. My oldest loves them with a singular passion, and will happily skip all other food if he knows there are any left. I have him balance out the rolls with fruits, vegetables, and protein rich foods only by insisting he eats those items before he gets the coveted rolls again :wink:.

The sourdough starter is exactly the same as I use for bread. Originally it called for using 1/2 cup starter to 2 cups milk and 2 cups flour, letting it all sit overnight, then removing 1/2 cup and adding it back to the starter jar. I didn't want milk introduced into the starter so I tried cutting back on the milk and flour and refreshing my starter at the same time. Works out well.

Here's the recipe:

Grandma's Sourdough Pancakes

Makes ~ 10

2 cups milk

2 cups flour

1/2 cup sourdough starter

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. baking soda

1 T. sugar

1 T. oil or melted butter

1 egg

The night before, combine milk, flour and starter in a large bowl. Cover loosely and let sit at room temp. overnight.

The next morning take out 1/2 cup of the mixture and add back to starter jar. Add remaining ingredients to the the remaining dough, adding more flour or milk if mixture is too thick or thin (this will depend on the thickness of the starter used).

No more directions here, since she knew how to make pancakes and assumed anyone else would as well :laugh:.

Edited by tejon (log)

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

almost noon here and i still haven't eaten breakfast.

A man after my own heart :laugh: (no sign of breakfast for me here, either). We usually have something substantial on Saturday mornings since my husband is home and we can all sit down together. Sundays I'm out grocery shopping, usually earlier than my stomach is willing to agree to any kind of nourishment.

want to clarify that the only reason i don't have breakfast most weekends is that i usually don't rise till at least 11! though i often miss breakfast on weekdays too--usually i'm so late leaving for anywhere in the mornings that i don't eat anything other than a couple of chocolate biscuits dipped in my tea. mrs. jones tries to force fruit down my throat but it is usually a losing battle. now if we had access to good mangoes and guavas that would be a different story.

want to clarify that the only reason i don't have breakfast most weekends is that i usually don't rise till at least 11!

Ah, that's a luxury when there are small children involved. I used to wake up closer to lunch than breakfast, at least on the weekends. Somehow I've gotten used to eating earlier, at least for the most part. Can't say I enjoy breakfast at 7:30 quite as much, however.

Kathy

Lunch:

Made up some fried rice out of leftover rice and some vegetables on hand. Really nice once I added some chile sauce to it :cool:

l_sun.jpg

I'd like to take this time out to make an appeal to all y'all who are viewing tejon's installment of the eGullet Foodblog. We need people to volunteer for future installments. The success of this series thread depends on people such as tejon who are willing to devote their time and effort to letting us take a peek into their lives, foodwise.

Just wanted to add that it's been a great experience to do this blog. I thought it was going to be nerve wracking to open up my refrigerator and kitchen, but instead it has been more like hanging out by the stove at a dinner party with friends. Don't be shy, people - it's a lot of fun for everyone involved.

Kathy

Just got back from Market World, our local asian store where I buy the bulk of our produce. Looking especially good today: green beans, Korean squash, Persian cucumbers, and white peaches. Looks like the peaches are on their way out - I'm always surprised and saddened at how quickly summer peaches are gone. I got a treat for myself along with the groceries:

sn_sun.jpg

Boba tea from the LolliCup stand within the store. Interesting to see them make up the tea then seal the top so you can carry it home without spilling. My oldest grimaced when he saw the cup - he can't stand the texture of the bobas. More for me, I say!

Kathy

I'm enjoying guessing what your "dinner started" photos are going to be! Is that black shiny thing on the right a plastic bag? I guess it would taste better with plenty of garlic...? :blink:

Bubble tea certainly was big in Japan about 2 years ago, but this is the land of the fad - none to be seen this year!

Tejon, what flavor of bubble tea was that?

Nothing fancy - I got Royal Milk Tea this time. I like the plain better than most of the other flavors.

Kathy

I'm enjoying guessing what your "dinner started" photos are going to be! Is that black shiny thing on the right a plastic bag? I guess it would taste better with plenty of garlic...? 

Guess that picture is a bit on the dark side - switched to one with (hopefully) a better color balance. To the right is a pile of soaked chiles, waiting to be chopped and added to the pot of simmering meat. Can't say what garlic would do for a plastic bag.....though it certainly couldn't hurt :wink:.

Kathy

Dinner completed:

d_sun.jpg

This is my Grandma's Chile Colorado, often made for boat trips because it tasted better the second or third day out. I served it with tortillas and salad, mainly because that's how she usually presented it. Made up some plain white rice to go along with it for future lunches as well.

Tomorrow I'll be making my all time favorite dinner from Grandma's recipe box, followed by her Peach Crisp. Followed by much exercise to burn all of this off :laugh:.

Kathy

tejon,those rolls( beauties !)have been nipping at me-this week i will stop trawling the shallows of my bread book and make me some.haven't an heirloom starter so i'll cheat and try kefir. can't wait for the peach crisp. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the new picture showing the chiles! It's not your fault though, my monitor is stubbornly dark no matter how I set it. Seeing the seasonings before the final dish makes it possible to almost smell that Chile Colorado.

Look forward to seeing that Peach Crisp, too. You probably don't believe me, but sourdough pancakes, chile and beans, peach crisp, kraft dinners...are all things I've read about in books, but never seen actually on somebody's table! I'm having a nice little tour here! :raz::laugh::biggrin:

You probably don't believe me, but sourdough pancakes, chile and beans, peach crisp, kraft dinners...are all things I've read about in books, but never seen actually on somebody's table! I'm having a nice little tour here! 

Glad to oblige :biggrin:. It's been interesting to see what we all cook and eat, since it varies so much from area to area.

Edited by tejon (log)

Kathy

Breakfast:

Anyone notice a pattern here? :laugh:

b_mon.jpg

The box is my Grandma's recipe cards. Most of them hand typed with all kinds of notes on what to change, the dates she served each dish, what to have as sides, who especially liked or disliked each one, anything needed to make the next meal even better than the last. In reading through the cards this week I have been taken back to days in her kitchen, watching her in amazement and hoping some day I would be able to cook as well as she did.

Kathy

The box is my Grandma's recipe cards. Most of them hand typed with all kinds of notes on what to change, the dates she served each dish, what to have as sides, who especially liked or disliked each one, anything needed to make the next meal even better than the last. In reading through the cards this week I have been taken back to days in her kitchen, watching her in amazement and hoping some day I would be able to cook as well as she did.

A real treasure! I'm envying you!

And thanks for your great blog, tejon!

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

I just wanted to express appreciation. . .yours is a house I bet everyone feels comfortable in, your blog just oozes love for family :)

Heartwarming, really. Made me miss being little & cooking with mom & dad.

Diana

i see the new blog has begun--i guess this means tejon is done. just want to say i enjoyed what i've read of it so far. i missed the first half (and all the other blogs since mine) and need to go catch up before i get stuck into foodman's.

I'm not dead yet.....(singing) ....I feel happy..... :biggrin::blink::wacko:

Ahem. Still a wee bit of time left in the day - I haven't even made the Peach Cr...I mean, dinner yet.

Lunch:

l_mon.jpg

Very light today to (hopefully) offset tonight's indulgences. Almonds, strawberries, and some Persian cucumber with grated ginger, soy sauce, and a little rice vinegar.

Kathy

My oldest just told me, "my tummy doesn't feel very good", so I did a forehead check and he's warm. I have him settled on the couch, wrapped in his quilt (a friend of ours made it for him before he was born), sipping some electrolyte solution I made up since he isn't really interested in eating. I'm going to join him for while and hope that helps a bit.

Kathy

He's doing a little better. Hasn't been hungry for anything (even asked for ice cream, then changed his mind), but he's been drinking plenty of fluids and is now fast asleep, curled up on the couch. He was bouncing a bit before he fell asleep, a good indication that things are on the upswing.

Leaving me and my youngest to start dinner:

(well, I'll admit his contribution is mainly not stealing the cooking implements I plan on using because they make great swords :laugh:)

d1_mon.jpg

Kathy