• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Maine Coastal Vacation

lala

Hello Maine eGulleters!

I'm going to Maine Sept 13-21 (well, I'll actually be in CT Sept 11-12), with my Dad, and have tentatively decided on where to go (it's hard - it all looks soo good!).

We'll be driving from CT on the 13th, and my plan at this point is to stop overnight in either Bath/Brunswick (tour Bowdoin? Dad likes college towns), then the next night in Camden/Castine (take a boat cruise), then head to Acadia for the 15 - 19. Then on the 19th, head down to Portland, stay near or in town, see Portland on the 20th, and fly out on the 21st.

I know that I'm not going anywhere south of Portland with this itinerary, but that seems to be mostly sandy beaches, which while lovely, are nothing new to this West Coast gal. With this itinerary, I'm hoping to get the 'flavor' of Maine I understand that Acadia is stunning - is that too much or too little time?

Please give me feedback - is this a good plan to enjoy the coast? Where are good places to stay and eat in and around those towns, based on this plan? My priority for a nice, yet reasonable place to stay is Acadia, where we'll do a mix of touring, Bar Harbor, hiking, and just plain lazing around. I'd rather not stay IN Bar Harbor, but outside of town, yet on Mt. Desert. And of course, I'd love to hear of a good Lobster Shack or two!

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

We've narrowed down the itinerary, if that helps. We'll be staying in Brunswick, Mt. Desert Island, Camden, Castine and Portland. Of course, we can certainly drive a bit for good food. While there is good information on this board for Portland and some on Mt. Desert Island (Bar Harbor) I'd love some ideas for the other places!

Thanks! :wink:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

Hey lala,

Sorry I haven't responded sooner. I only have a little time, but I will say this: If you are staying in Camden you gotta go next door to Rockland and eat at Primo

Here's the web site: http://www.primorestaurant.com/home.cfm

I mean seriously, don't miss out on this. Make your reservations now. Go, go, go.

More later...

"Democracy is that system of government under which the people…pick out a Coolidge to be head of the State. It is as if a hungry man, set before a banquet prepared by master cooks and covering a table an acre in area, should turn his back upon the feast and stay his stomach by catching and eating flies." H. L. Mencken

When you are in Brunswick, go to the town next to it (Bath) and stop at Kristina's Restaurant & Bakery, preferably for breakfast.

In Camden, you won't be far from The Lobster Pound Restaurant in Lincolnville Beach. It's a delicious lobster pound located right on the water. It's been owned by the same family for three generations.

If you are driving from Camden to Castine on Route 1, you will go through the Belfast and Searsport area where there is lots of good food. A good lunch stop would be Anglers Family Seafood Restaurant (Searsport) which doesn't look like much from the outside but is just fantastic food with some of the best homemade desserts around. My favorite lobster rolls come from The Maine Chowder and Steak House (Belfast).

For lobster rolls in Portland, I'd go to Becky's Diner on the waterfront.

I've eaten at some good places in Bar Harbor but can't think of the names right now. I'll be going back in a couple of weeks, I'll try to take note of some names and post again. I'm not too familiar with Castine.

Personally, I recommend stopping at a convenience store and asking the workers for a recommendation. Seriously. Go where the locals go instead of where the tourists go.

Tammy Olson aka "TPO"

The Practical Pantry

lala, do you mind me asking where you're staying on Mt. Desert Island? We're toying with going up there next month and I'm just starting to plan.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Fantastic report, rlibkind, I'll be sure to use it! And thank you to everyone who's answered so far, it's Really helping!

Let me know if you are still looking for Portland dinner reommendations.

I have a few.

"Democracy is that system of government under which the people…pick out a Coolidge to be head of the State. It is as if a hungry man, set before a banquet prepared by master cooks and covering a table an acre in area, should turn his back upon the feast and stay his stomach by catching and eating flies." H. L. Mencken

Yes, CSASphinx, I am! I'm thinking of Fore Street, but have read vastly differing opinions. Portland will be my last night, so I want it to be good (doesn't have to be 5 star, but open to it). So I'm still open to any and all suggestions - thanks!

Edited by lala (log)

lala,

I wouldn't feel obligated to go to Fore Street. It is certainly good, but I have noticed that the experience isn't always consistent--at least it hasn't been for me. Sometimes I leave thinking it was just what I wanted that night and others, it is just so-so.

For other places I'd suggest Hugo's...here's a post of my recent visit there. As noted, the food is really stellar though I had some problems with the service and my wife was disappointed by the portion sizes.

As an alternative you may want to try one of our new favorites, Five Fifty-Five at 555 Congress St. It's not in the Old Port but the room is really cool. Open kitchen downstairs and a large opening in the center of the room to the upstairs with a wooden rail. I think it used to be a library at one time and was a cafe/bookstore about 10 years ago. Sitting upstairs along the rail is great as you can see into the kitchen in spots and people watch. It's another husband and wife team there, Michelle Corry in the front of the house, has worked at both the French Laundry and Arrows, Steve was sous chef at Grissini in K-bunkport . I love the "steak and cheese" they serve, beef carpaccio with toasted capers, white truffle oil and big shavings of Reggiano. The last time I was there a couple of weeks ago I had halibut with a buttery corn sauce, Niman Ranch bacon, PEI mussels and wilted spinach....very good. They also have soe wonderful, changing cheese selections for before or after dinner. If you do go for some cheese I’d advise before dinner since the pastry chef there (I keep forgetting her name) was an assistant at Arrowsin Ogunquit. Very understated flavors, not too sweet. I think she's the best pastry chef working in Portland right now. Note to self: Find out her name. PHONE: 207-761-555

We also like Uffa! even farther from the Old Port in Longfellow Square (that's a statue of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow you cna see on their homepage. The menu they have posted is old but it should give you an idea of what they do. One thing I like about Uffa! is that the food is always perfectly cooked.

Down the dollar scale a little, but still very good is an old favorite Pepper Club (just around the corner from Hugo's). It's kinda funky, has a bunch of veggie offerings and tends toward Mediterranean/North African preperations. PHONE: 207-772-0531

On Commercial Street near the ferry terminal is Flatbread Company, sister to the one in Vermont...yummy flatbreads in a more rustic, family setting.

A newer place I haven't been to, but have heard good things about farther up Commercial St. is Mimms, a french bistro. Apparently, simple rustic french cuisine with accompaniments a la carte.

I'll think of some others and post again.

If you are going to Bar Harbor,a place we went to some years ago,called The Tidal Falls Lobster Pound.It is off route 1 just outside of Ellsworth. When going to Bar harbor the road goes left at a large car dealer it was a Ford dealer.Just bear left and follow route 1 towards Hancock.You may have to ask for the road name,it is a small street which goes to the river,this is a great outside place to have Lobsters and also the best Mussels . The river goes with the tides,always changing and it is a great setting. You will make a right off Route 1, across the street was a restaurant,noe sure of the name,but check out this gem of a Lobster Pound. Wish I was going there soon. Mangia Mangia

If you are going to Bar Harbor,a place we went to some years ago,called  The Tidal Falls Lobster Pound.It  is  off route 1 just outside of Ellsworth.

The Tidal Falls is a great location, and, as I noted in my previous report, since just about every lobster pound does a decent job, it's all about the setting.

Have you decided where you'll stay on MDI? Although September isn't peak season, a lot of folks do go to Acadia that time of year, since that's the best season, as far as I'm concerned.

There are a number of cottages/cabins available. Although they usually rent for the week (typically Saturday-to-Saturday), you may be able to make a deal if they are still unbooked. If you want to try the "quiet side" of MDI, which is where I usually stay, check out the Southwest Harbor Chamber of Commerce web site.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Thanks for your help, everyone! So far, I've reserved one night in Brunswick, 4 on Mt. Desert (SW Harbor), and one in Castine (this is all after spending a few days in CT). The last couple of nights, we're just going to wing it as we go back down the coast to Portland. Now, I've got to dig into all these posts for places to eat! :biggrin:

eeexxxxxeeeelllleeennnttt...... thanks! :biggrin: