• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yellow plums

sara

Hi

I have a bunch of yellow plums. I know I can grill them, or make a cobbler. But does anyone have suggestions for non-dessert options? Salads? In a pasta?

Thanks!

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

If these plums are the yellow sour ones, they are very good made into a sauce to accompany grilled meats, poultry, bread and even boiled beans.

Here is a recipe I picked up when I was researching in the Republic of Georgia:

Georgian sour plum sauce "tekmali"

Makes about 2 1/2 cups

2 pound small sour yellow plums.

Combine plums with 2 cups cold water in a 3 or 4 quart non corrodible saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook, covered, over low heat until the plums fall apart, about 30 minutes.

Drain the plums and reserve the cooking juice. When the plums are cool enough to handle, discard the pits, and push the plums through the medium blade of a food mill. Discard any debris that won't go through the holes. Put the mixture into a food processor; add 3 cloves peeled garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, 1/4 cup mint leaves, and 1/4 cup dill fronds, and 1/4 teaspoon Turkish red pepper; and pulse 12 times. Scrape the puree into a saucepan, add salt and sugar to taste. Immediately pour into a tall, clean 3/4- quart clean glass jar. cover tightly. After l to 2 hours set in a cool place. Wait at least l day before serving so that the flavors can meld. The sauce keeps refrigerated up to l month.

you can make a delicious cold salad with cooked red beans. Fold 1/2 cup of this sauce into 2 cups freshly cooked red beans. Also excellent as a sauce for fried, grilled, broiled, and baked fish

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

Oh, that sounds wonderful! But unfortunately I am without a food processor or food mill this summer. What do you think about combining yellow plums with shrimp and tomatoes, perhaps in a sauce?

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

I made a tomato sauce last night of fresh tomatoes, spinach, fresh basil, shrimp and the yellow plums. They were a terrific addition to the sauce--adding a slightly sour note, some acidity, and great color. I'm no longer afraid to mix up the veggies and fruit in a pasta sauce!

-- William Grimes