• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brick Lane

Wondering if anyone can help me

I have an Aussie friend here at the moment and had planned to go to Brick Lane for a curry this evening. Does anyone have any suggestions of places we should either head for or avoid? I wouldn't know one place from the next unfortunately. There will be about 8 or 10 of us I think.

Or should we just go to New Tayyab instead?

Wondering if anyone can help me

I have an Aussie friend here at the moment and had planned to go to Brick Lane for a curry this evening. Does anyone have any suggestions of places we should either head for or avoid? I wouldn't know one place from the next unfortunately. There will be about 8 or 10 of us I think.

Or should we just go to New Tayyab instead?

Brick Lane is a culinary disaster area. The only decent meal I've had there was in the Shampan (the gaudily neon-lit one), and it wasn't a patch on the New Tayyab.

I've read all about NT on the thread and it sounds amazing so maybe we should just go there - I was worried though that we wouldn't be able to get a table with a large group and it sounded like their booking policy is pretty relaxed - thought it would be too late to book anyway.

should I risk it and take them to NT and just hope for the best table wise?? :unsure:

never been to brick lane but can assure you tayyabs is worth the trip.

the kebabs are the key, along with the lamb chops.

the curries whilst very good are a sideline to the meats, everything is really well spiced and it is a great bargain.

not licenced but happy for byo.

good samaritan pub ok for a beer before.

gary

you don't win friends with salad

NT is of course the best choice. I'd be interested to hear how the booking works out -- I used to go once a month or so with a group and we'd regularly book then turn up and find we'd have to queue with everyone else. They are lovely though.

Edit to add -- if you are on Brick Lane, Sweet & Spicy at the southern end is the best choice (it's a Pakistani caff rather than a Bangladeshi curry joint).

Edited by Winot (log)

a bit late - but to add comfort to your decision - brick lane can only be enjoyed in those states of alcohol induced starvation. one place is worst that the next.

the bagels are crap as well...but better than anywhere elsein london.

-che