• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Doberge cake

Damn it, I just wrote the best memory and description of my favorite cake that I have seen no where other than New Orleans. My finger grazes the ESC key and GONE. Its all Gone. Bullshit

Give me your memories on the greatest cake ever and any history you might know of the cake. Thanks

When I compose myself I will rewrite it.

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

My birthday is in two weeks. I promise, I guarantee, I swear I know what kind of cake I will be dining on (for several days-these things are like the Eveready Bunny of cakes-they last and last) the same kind of cake that I have had for every birthday since 1983.

Firm cake, that jelly stuff, and icing that is just slightly resistant to the blade when the knife (use a sharp knife) slices into it. Nothing else like it.

I will be eating this Lemon and Chocolate Doberge Cake from Gambino's Bakery in New Orleans!

Incidentally, for those readers who don't know what the deal is, order one. They ship overnight and they are totally great a day after they are iced. I love those cakes. Thanks for bringing it up. I can't wait till week after next.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

2 things were constant in all of my childhood birthdays. One--we were going to Kolbs for dinner. How cool was that place.

Two-- doberge cake! It must have been 20 layers!! I swear. Each layer equal in size.

On the way to school, when we werent stopping at cafe du monde, we would stop at gambinos to pick up a box of doberge petit fours. Crazy catholic school boys.

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

When I was living Uptown and going to school at UNO we only had one car and I used to bike out Carrollton Ave on sunny days, but on rainy days I took the St Charles Ave Streetcar downtown and transferred to the Elysian Fields bus in front of the Cotton Exchange building on Canal St (you can get along quite well in New Orleans proper without a car with just a little effort).

On my way home I often stopped at Kolb's as I had been going there for years growing up with my German grandfather (sometimes I would go to The Pearl next door for beans or oysters). It was always full of really old people and I never gave it much thought until they closed up. THe article that ran in the Picayune at the time quoted the manager as saying that young people just didn't go there and that all of the old time customers were dying off and that there were not enough to keep the place open. It was really sad. They had a menu of German fare that hadn't really changed since the turn of the century and the place was really kind of a cool throwback.

Yea, My mom let whose ever birthday it was pick what was for dinner. She let me start when I was 5. The rest of my family is sort of a "all you can eat/luthers/picadilly/po-folks" kind of crowd. But my mom was raised uptown and she loves good food and hates to cook. All of my exposure to cusine and a few of the classic New Olreans restaurants I owe to my mom. Nobody else was really interested, so we would leave the westbank and go on searchs for the best roastbeef poyboy, track down the taffy horse carriage, look for the "meatiest" creole tomatoes.

The next generation of my family is the same as my brothers and sisters. I bring my 7 nieces all out to lunch in December to places like Galatoires, Christians, even Pho Tau Bay. But only 2 of them are really into what is going on. The rest of them start asking for fried shrimp. :sad:

• 5 weeks later...

My wedding cake was chocolate doberge with white icing. I got married in Atlanta, but grew up in New Orleans (and still call it home!), so my parents picked up the cake and drove it all the way to Atlanta for my wedding. I had a ton of compliments on it at the wedding (especially because it's so much better than the typical bland wedding cake), and people still mention it to me when we're talking about weddings. It may have been the highlight of my wedding reception!

And, even though I'm pushing 30, my mom still overnights a chocolate doberge cake with chocolate icing every year for my birthday.

Oh, my mouth is watering just thinking about it. Sadly, I live in Washington, DC, now and there's nothing even comparable around here!

Welcome annsyp. I hope that you enjoy it here. And New Orleans is one of those places that everybody who grew up there plans on moving back-even if they are seventy and should have given up the thought. It kind of grows on you (like mold, which also will grow on you in New Orleans if you stand still for five minutes or longer :wink: ).

I recieved a 1/2 and 1/2 for my birthday and it took all of two days for the entire cake do dissappear. About a billion calories in one of those things, but man do I love them. Homemade vanilla ice cream on top of a slice of the chocolate is about as good as it gets.

I know what you mean. I asked one of the local bakeries about one for my groom's cake, and the baker kind of looked at me like I had sprouted horns. Then I got him interested in it, and he told me he'd try to make one...

I told him not to bother. I didn't really have the option of transporting or having one transpot one, so I had a basic chocolate cake made like a Tabasco bottle.

I still crave doberge though. I'm going home for Labor day. I see that may have to be a stop... I can get good ones in Lafayette, but they aren't quite the same as Gambino's...

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

What is the meaning of the name "doberge"?

Which flavor is traditional (or original), chocolate, lemon or caramel?

Many recipes call for evaporated milk, which tastes funny to me--can cream be substituted in the icing/filling?

In general, how would you describe the cake, like: "many layered buttercake with a cooked filling and cooked icing"?

I've traveled to New Orleans and Baton Rouge, but this cake is a new one on me.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

The name and the description are both vaguely reminiscent of dobosch or dobosh torte. Some sort of local "creole-ization" of that name?

That was going to be my question, was this related to "dobos torte," which I've known as a Hungarian cake. It's pronounced sort of like "doboshe." eGullet thread on dobos torte.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

The name and the description are both vaguely reminiscent of dobosch or dobosh torte. Some sort of local "creole-ization" of that name?

That was going to be my question, was this related to "dobos torte," which I've known as a Hungarian cake. It's pronounced sort of like "doboshe." eGullet thread on dobos torte.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 1 month later...

I called the gambino's lady and she suggested I wait for the weather to cool down before I should get it shipped. Then I got wind of my sister-in-law driving in. So I had her pick me a chocolate one up and bring it to shreveport. I was in Florida and couldnt get to it until 5 days later and it still was awesome. I was very worried that it wouldnt live up to my childhood memories and it did! Everyone must have one this month. Go to the gambino's wesite and have it delivered.