• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Wine Store in D.C.?

ademello

Hi - I'm in D.C. fairly regularly and I'm looking for what you guys this is the best wine store here. I am most interested in Zinfandels from California, more boutique labels and small (under 500 cases) productions that are difficult to find elsewhere. I typically shop at Schneider's but I was wondering if there is anything that I'm missing out on. I usually stay around Capitol Hill but am willing to venture around the city if its worth it. Let me know!

Wide Worlds of Wines on Wisconsin. Don't tell anyone you heard it from me. It's sort of an insiders' place. You have to know about it. Very small store from but it opens up towards the back and they have a downstairs. That's where I got all of my 2000 Bordeaux futures.

Bells on M St NW near 18th. Good selection of Californians in general -- Zins change often so don't know if you'll find what your looking for in one visit, but worth a shot.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

I would also recommend Bell's. They are the only store in the area where I've seen a good selection of wines from the Sierra foothills in CA, some of which produce some decent Zins.

"See these? American donuts. Glazed, powered, and raspberry-filled. Now, how's that for freedom of choice."

-Homer Simpson

Boutique zins in a DC winestore? Only if your lucky, the best ones (like all else) are had by being on the winery's mail-order list (or knowing someone who is).

The best places (ie selection) are listed above: Calvert, Schneiders and McArthurs (Bassins). Bell's does't have anything good from a collectors standpoint, but is good in a pinch (lord knows how long those Dalle Valles have been sitting in there). BUT-they did have a one bottle of Turley on the shelf about 2 weeks ago and they had more in back - if you ask the right person. Go now if you want the marquee boutique California zin.

Wide World of Wines is indeed the collector's secret, but it ain't cheap so don't go looking for release prices there but I have a few collector friends who have scored excellent juice there.

Wide Worlds of Wines on Wisconsin. Don't tell anyone you heard it from me. It's sort of an insiders' place. You have to know about it. Very small store from but it opens up towards the back and they have a downstairs. That's where I got all of my 2000 Bordeaux futures.

I second this one. WWoW buys direct in many cases and doesn't have to play the local distributor games. Elliot, the owner, is extremely knowledgeable.

Mark

Calvert Woodley, MacArthur, Schneider's, Chevy Chase-in this order for me then there are also smaller stores with specialty items.

I don't find that Calvert-Woodley has a very inspired collection of zinfandels especially for such a high-volume store. The only notable zins it has are Ridge (2 labels), Rosenblum (1 label), and Rancho Zabaco (2 labels).

I don't know Chevy Chase Liquors, but as far as the other 3 stores go, Schneider's by far has the best zinfandel selection ... stocking multiple labels of the likes of Edmeades, Rosenblum, Seghesio, Turley, etc .... Not boutique wines, but definitely some small production labels from those larger producers represented.

If you're in the Calvert Woodley neighborhood, another store worth looking at is Circle Wine & Liquor (5501 Connecticut Ave.) near Chevy Chase Circle. It has a decent zinfandel selection as well, and a superior collection of domestic wines compared with Calvert-Woodley, in my opinion.

I'll have to check out the Wide World of Wines however!

Edited to fix link

Edited by liamdc (log)

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

I'm going to agree with Liam on this one. I'm a huge zin fan, and have never been impressed at Calvert Woodley. But the other day at Circle I found a bottle of Andrew Murray's Tous Les Jours. Not easy to find on the East Coast, IMO. Priced the same as the bottles I bought at AM's Tasting Room in Los Olivos.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Yes, I agree - Schneider's is really great, plus it's near my hotel. Terry is my guy there and he is extraordinarily helpful. I was just looking to see if there was anything I was missing... Thanks for the help guys - I will be sure to check out WoW before I leave...