• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Marzano Tomatoes

HungryChris

I get mine at Costco. They come in a big can, that is the size of three individual cans. I think it's $5-$6. Hayday in Westport, CT carries them as well, but they are way too expensive. I've also picked up some at my local Stop & Shop.

Forgive my ignorance, but I assume you mean canned.

Not sure where in CT you are, but there's a place in North Haven on Rt. 5 called Connecticut Natural Produce that has Scalfani San Marzano tomatoes in both the really large can and in the "normal" 16 oz. can.

They had them on Saturday when I was there - I'm pretty sure they always have them, but I'm not 100% certain.

Be sure to differentiate between San Marzano "style" tomatos and imported from Italy San Marzanos. The big cans from Costco are the real McCoy. And Stop 'n' Shop has them as well. Just make sure you look closely at the can for the "imported from Italy" stamp.

The big cans from Costco are the real McCoy. And Stop 'n' Shop has them as well. Just make sure you look closely at the can for the "imported from Italy" stamp.

I'm guessing Costco et al aren't getting San Marzana DOP cans. Even in specialty stores those can be hard to find. Non-DOP tomatoes from Italy should be much easier to get.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

I found them in a little Itialian store in Westerly, RI, called Ritaco's. They are Scalfani brand "Genuine San Marzano Tomatoes". They were $2.69 for a 28 OZ can. I tried Stop $ Shop in my area, but the best I could do was Imported from Italy without mention of the San Marzano region. I'm sure I paid too much, but I do want to try the real thing to see if I can appreciate the difference.

I'll report on the effort.

Cheers,

HC

They're available at City Market in Burlington, VT.

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

The big cans from Costco are the real McCoy.  And Stop 'n' Shop has them as well.  Just make sure you look closely at the can for the "imported from Italy" stamp.

I'm guessing Costco et al aren't getting San Marzana DOP cans. Even in specialty stores those can be hard to find. Non-DOP tomatoes from Italy should be much easier to get.

That's right, you're only guessing. I bought a gallon can of the suckers the other day ($2.79). I scrutinized the can before I put it in my cart. It says right on the front "San Marzano" and they are imported from Italy. The name on the can is Nino (or Nina, I can't remember). When I get home, I will look closer and give more complete information. But I'm faily sure they are the real McCoy. I could be wrong though.

OK. I have a gallon can (6 lbs. 10 oz) of Nina Brand di San Marzano Italian Peeled Tomatos, with puree, basil leaf. It says: Product of Italy on the side. It also says: Packed in via Nuova S. Marzano, Italis, exclusively for Joseph Rutigaliano and Sons, Plainfield, NJ.

I have another can on my shelf that I got of a local grocer that is from Flora Italian Foods, San Marzano Style Italian Tomatos. They are imported from Italy as well. It is a 1 lb 12 oz can, and I think I paid about the same as I paid for the gallon can at Costco.

In order to be authentic San Marzano tomatos, what does the can need to say? I thought that if it says San Marzano and they are imported from San Marzano, Italy, that they would be the real McCoy. However, on reflection, the denomination San Marzano "style" on the Flora brand leads me to think I may have been deceived. I have a higher confidence in the Costco Nina brand.

• 2 weeks later...

HungryChris,

Liuzzi Cheese in North Haven (see the New Haven, CT grocers, butchers, etc. ... thread in this forum) has San Marzano tomatoes with their own label, DOP registration and all, for a very favorable price, though I don't know if it can compete with Costco. I think they are excellent. Very convenient to I-91, Exit 10, if you're not in the immediate New Haven area.

Fern

Moderators: Please decide whether this whole post should be moved from the New England site, since I believe the Info is quite extensive for the particular product and therefore of interest to others (and not just for 'dam Yankees')

A branch of this conversation which completely veered from regional availability of this product has, indeed been split off into a new topic in the General forum.

Please continue discussion of regional availability here.

Please continue discussion of the product as a whole (particularly issues of authenticity) in the new topic.

Some judgement calls had to be made (in a few cases, like the post by mnebergall, the post could have gone either way), so if you feel there is information from one topic which rightfully belong in the other, please repost that info in the appropriate location. Try not to be duplicate otherwise though.

Thanks all.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"