• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Tex-Mex quesadilla

Robb-

Congrats on a very well crafted, educational and entertaining book. I truly enjoyed reviewing it and I did learn a lot.

The only missing Tex-Mex item from the book was the quesadilla. Was that intentional? I am talking about the large flour trotillas sandwiching a healthy filling of meat and cheese, not the traditional Mexican ones. Are these not Tex-Mex?

Thanks for spending some time to chat with us.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I didn't write about quesadillas because I couldn't find them on any early Texas Mexican restaurant menus. They seem to be native to Mexico and arrived in Texas about the same time as the burrito.

On the other hand, I found dishes like fritoque and chilitoque which seem to be unique to Tex-Mex and have all but disappeared.