• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh fig ice cream formula

catdaddy

I am looking for a proven formula for fig ice cream. Figs are taking over in eastern NC. So far fig salsa and fig bread have been moderately successful.

Okay all you pros please share. Thanks, Ian

I'd try just making a batch (or batches) of preserves, then somehow just put ribbons of the preserves through a good vanilla ice cream, maybe cutting back on the sugar in the ice cream a bit.

You can also make quasi fig newtons. Use your favorite yellow cake recipe made to directions, pour half of the cake batter into the pan, dot the surface with the figs or preserves, then cover with the other half of the batter. Bake until done. Good stuff.

Fig preserves, though. Don't waste a single one. IMHO, fig preserves are about the best thing on the face of the earth. If you want to get fancy, you can do fig and strawberry preserves as well. About 50/50 by weight, or adjust to your taste.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

I've seen fig sorbet recipes that are pretty reliable.

If I was going to do a fig ice cream, I would probably not use yolks.

Maybe do a base with the cream and milk and use honey, about 25% of the volume/weight of the sugar you would use, and perhaps try some brown sugar mixed in with the rest of the 75% sugar used in the recipe.

Thinking about the yolk factor, I should say that that's something I would do in the restaurant, where I have access to dry extracts, ing. like powdered milk, atomised glucose, etc.

Good Luck with your adventure!

2317/5000

I've got a fig ice cream recipe here (one that I have not made; it's in Frozen Desserts by Caroline Liddell) that calls for 1 lb figs, 3 tbs water, 3 egg yolks, 100 g sugar, 375 ml cream, lemon juice, and fig leaves. Basically, cook down the figs a bit in the water, then run through a blender. Cook up the custard base, then let the fig leaves infuse into the base while it chills in the fridge. When it's ready, strain out the leaves, stir in the pulp and lemon juice (just a bit), and freeze.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

has anyone else had a weird experience with using raw figs in ice cream? a couple of years ago (well, maybe more like 10 or 12), i made a semifreddo with fresh figs and mascarpone. tasting the batter, it was absolutely delicious. after it froze overnight, though, it was very bitter. i figured it was the fig enzyme on the milk.

The first time I ever saw fresh figs was in a market in Charleston while on vacation. I had no idea what to do with them, but something--the texture, the smell--reminded me of bananas. So I ate them the way I grew up eating bananas, sliced in a bowl with sugar and cream, for breakfast or snack. Yum.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali